Is the Dragonslayer Spear worth it for Faith build?

#1fullyloaded2004Posted 11/15/2011 6:18:26 PM

Is it worth getting my STR and DEX to 24 for the Dragonslayer spear on a faith build? And is it good for PVP? I love spears and it looks great. And I no as a spear it's not going to be super strong, but the stats it needs is a lot and I want to know if it's worth it for PVE and PVP?

#2enghuPosted 11/15/2011 6:21:27 PM
fullyloaded2004 posted...
Is it worth getting my STR and DEX to 24 for the Dragonslayer spear on a faith build? And is it good for PVP? I love spears and it looks great. And I no as a spear it's not going to be super strong, but the stats it needs is a lot and I want to know if it's worth it for PVE and PVP?

Not really that good... other than longer reach...
it has longest reach but at cost of heavier/lower damage/limited move set...

shooting lightning is a joke....
#3tlnPosted 11/15/2011 6:22:36 PM
You can two-hand it with only 16 STR/24 DEX.
#4Drake_1Posted 11/15/2011 6:22:54 PM

As the guy below posted, its the longest spear (not much longer than a pike tho) however its moveset is really really bad even for a spear, and its damage is a complete joke, not to mention the mounstrous stats it requires...

For PvE its pretty fun to use, in PvP if you like dying much then go ahead...
#5Archwing3441Posted 11/15/2011 6:25:18 PM
really? I HEARD that it was a lot better now that it scales with Faith in the new patch.
---
'How would a lion live in Africa with other random pokemons? Lion attacks Tauros. Tauros used thunder?" -united_kirby
#6D_RocksPS3Posted 11/15/2011 6:26:04 PM
Not worth it one bit. It doesn't get much of a boost with the patch either. If the Silver Knight Spear is enchant-able (Which I don't know if it is but would guess considering the sword will be enchant-able post-patch) I suggest using that instead. It has the standard pokes, but its heavy attack does a sweeping motion, which is good.
#7SlaynPosted 11/15/2011 6:26:28 PM
From what I've heard, better, but not wortth it.
#8fullyloaded2004(Topic Creator)Posted 11/15/2011 6:28:36 PM

Really? All that stat points it needs and it sucks that bad?

#9RainrirPosted 11/15/2011 6:37:45 PM(edited)
The DSS has many things going for it.

+ Long Range, as long as Silver Knight's spear, which is longest in game.
+ Typical shield advantage of poking while blocking.
+ Highest combined damage rating of the spears in the game 1.05. It also out damages all pure +15 physical spears with no enchants, and +5 lighting spear/partizan/winged spear.
+ Skewed damage weighted towards physical means that it isn't hit as hard as Lightning/Fire weapons by multiple defenese
+2H R2 second hit seems to always knock down, giving a reliable (if difficult) way to land knockdown combos.
+1H R2 lightning shoot is faster than the miracle in both activation speed and projectile speed, it is a good mix up when people start trying to parry your shield stabs (which are incredible easy to parry). Interesting possibilities when used with Vow of Silence.

-Stat requirements are steep to use to full potential
-Less damage than a normal spear + CMW/DKM/SLB combined
-You need to practice to be able to use the R2 unique attacks properly
-Expensive to maintain (repair powder, souls need for repair)
-Heavy

SIlver Knight Spear is not enchatable. Only SIlver Knight Sword is.
#10D_RocksPS3Posted 11/15/2011 6:30:25 PM
Really? All that stat points it needs and it sucks that bad?

Most of all the boss weapons suck this time around. Only exceptions are Fury Sword and Life Hunt. Golem Axe is decent, but the rest just flat out suck, either in damage or the stats they require (Artorias's weapons)