Can i back up Dark Souls Save Game with backup utility ?

#1indzmanPosted 12/1/2011 1:52:10 PM

I'm not a PSN PLUS member can i back up Locked ( copy protected ) Dark Souls game save on my external HDD or Pen Drive using back up utility on PS 3 ?

#2Fill in the BlankPosted 12/1/2011 2:10:01 PM(edited)
Lol, I guess I shouldn't have posted that since now everyone is going to be doing it. Good luck Dark Souls community!
---
The Dude abides.
#3indzman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2011 1:56:47 PM

Fill in the Blank posted...
I think what you mean to ask is "Can I cheat in this game by connecting with a friend, dumping all my stuff, and reloading a backed up save", which my answer to is: get a life.
---
The Dude abides.

What ?

Of course not . Previously my game save got corrupted as PS 3 shut off by itself out of a sudden . Lost of gameplay hours into it was lost . So asking advise .

#4EtherRushPosted 12/1/2011 2:01:13 PM
I think what you mean to ask is "Can I cheat in this game by connecting with a friend, dumping all my stuff, and reloading a backed up save", which my answer to is: get a life.

That's not a bad idea! Too bad it's such a pain to backup and restore.

To answer the TC's question though. I'm pretty sure that you can use the backup utility to backup your saves. Depending on how much stuff you have, it's pretty time consuming, since I think you have to backup just about everything.

At least, this is how it worked with Demons Souls. I haven't tried it yet with Dark Souls. But I think now is a decent time to backup. Thanks for the reminder.
#5indzman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2011 2:04:13 PM

EtherRush posted...

That's not a bad idea! Too bad it's such a pain to backup and restore.

To answer the TC's question though. I'm pretty sure that you can use the backup utility to backup your saves. Depending on how much stuff you have, it's pretty time consuming, since I think you have to backup just about everything.

At least, this is how it worked with Demons Souls. I haven't tried it yet with Dark Souls. But I think now is a decent time to backup. Thanks for the reminder.

You are welcome .

Its a new PS 3 160 slim . My 80 gb died along with corrupting Dark souls game save . Only playing Dark Souls on the new one atm . Have nothing on it except latest firmware update and Dark Souls update / game save . Hope it won't take long :) 

#6roflapotamusPosted 12/1/2011 2:08:56 PM
I tried to back it up and use my account on friends..but the backup date is copyright protected so u can't make a copy ...

Usually I can hook it to.USB and email ur self the file..the dl it where u want and transfer it over.

Ya I guess they don't want accounts being sold or traded. Lol
#7EtherRushPosted 12/1/2011 2:11:28 PM
Oh, if you want to transfer your saves to a different PS3, then no, backing up and restoring to a new PS3 will not work, at least not for copy-protected saves like Dark Souls. PSN+ might be the way to go for that, but I don't know if that'll work either since I don't have PSN+.
#8indzman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2011 2:12:46 PM

roflapotamus posted...
I tried to back it up and use my account on friends..but the backup date is copyright protected so u can't make a copy ...

Usually I can hook it to.USB and email ur self the file..the dl it where u want and transfer it over.

Ya I guess they don't want accounts being sold or traded. Lol

Will use on my own PS 3 only if game data gets corrupt by any chance .

I didn't understand how you back up your locked save games by Email ?

#9indzman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2011 2:13:55 PM

EtherRush posted...
Oh, if you want to transfer your saves to a different PS3, then no, backing up and restoring to a new PS3 will not work, at least not for copy-protected saves like Dark Souls. PSN+ might be the way to go for that, but I don't know if that'll work either since I don't have PSN+.

It'll work on same PS 3 right ?

#10EtherRushPosted 12/1/2011 2:21:51 PM
indzman posted...

EtherRush posted...

It'll work on same PS 3 right ?

Yes. If you backup game saves and restore it to the same PS3, then yes, it should work.