Estoc or Balder Straight Sword?

#1Meijimasha13Posted 12/16/2011 12:08:00 PM
Which is better?

Never understood why people like the Estoc, though.
#2jayblahxPosted 12/16/2011 12:10:41 PM
They are two completely different weapons. It's pointless to ask which is better. Both weapons are very good. Play with both and see which playstyle you prefer.

Estoc is a fantastic weapon because it has a high crit modifier, is fast, can be used in a turtle playstyle, and has a great moveset. It's not hard to understand why it's so favored at all.
---
Add me! PSN ID: Jayblah - Dark Souls: SL 120 (Non-Scaling VIT Gouge), 125 (DEX/FAI), & 130 (STR/INT)
#3Renegade109Posted 12/16/2011 12:13:24 PM
Turtling and critical damage potential is why the Estoc is most oft praised.

Higher base damage than its competition when elementalised, not to mention greater range to boot, and has boosted Critical Damage as a result of being in the Rapier class of weapons. Basically, this means that it has enhanced backstab and riposte damage, and like most other critical-damage weapons is especially deadly when paired with the ever-present Hornet Ring.

Otherwise it can readily be used to poke at opponents from behind a shield so you've got a simultaneous offense and defense going on, unlike the Balder Side Sword, though the latter is still an excellent weapon in its own right.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PELu7.png
What are YOU playing?
#4no_stepPosted 12/16/2011 12:17:26 PM
One more plus for the estoc: it's also very useful for fighting in cramped spaces.

That, its speed, and the ability to turtle with it is why it's been my favorite weapon going all the way back to Demon's Souls. That's not to say it doesn't have its weaknesses, but it's still my favorite.
#5deathisajerkPosted 12/16/2011 12:22:31 PM
Riccard's Rapier. Nuff said.
---
Liquid Nitrogen is dangerous because it can freeze anything in seconds, which begs the question... Will it blend?
#6Robin_DudePosted 12/16/2011 12:24:25 PM
Both are awesome and in my list of favorites, but time for some Balder Side Sword positives.

It is the longest straightsword in the game (I'm pretty sure), Swings don't take up much stamina so you can chain massive combos, the R2 lunge is ridiculously powerful (and is also good in cramped spaces, the damage scales well with dexterity, and can be enchanted.

Anyone care to add anything?
---
"Let's see you GRIT THOSE TEETH"
PSN - ZIGZAGZOM
#7szathmabPosted 12/16/2011 12:37:02 PM
When I did a rapier crit build I went with a estoc/ricards then kept my balder sword as my second weapon. So I say use both at the same time. Estoc to start get the backstab then switch to the speed of the balder sword to catch people off guard
---
PSN:ALLHAILHK
#8Meijimasha13(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2011 2:32:19 PM
I've been building up my Riccard's Rapier and ignoring my Estoc, is this a bad decision?
#9SolidKnightPosted 12/16/2011 2:35:51 PM(edited)
I like the rapier better since it does a lot more damage than the estoc on criticals.

The Balder Side Sword is nice though. It's R2 has a higher damage multiplier than the Longsword's R2.
#10gna647Posted 12/16/2011 2:38:42 PM

because it has a high crit modifier

it does?

last i checked the critical bonus was still at base: 100
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvsq94GML81ql6hpqo1_500.jpg