Is there anyway to make backup save files ?

#1diablogamerPosted 12/18/2011 11:19:41 PM
I tried usb but it wont let me transfer from the hard drive instead it says the file is copy protected.
---
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very
persistent one" Albert Einstein
#2saintseiyafanPosted 12/18/2011 11:20:45 PM
the only way to do it is to get a PSN+ account, upload your file to the cloud, and keep downloading it if you **** it up too much, the catch is you can only do this every 24 hours.
#3hokieneerPosted 12/18/2011 11:33:41 PM
The move to copy-protected saves angers me so me.
#4TheOriginalMaxPosted 12/19/2011 1:11:27 AM
hokieneer posted...

Yeah, it's a completely useless addition. It's not like hacking saves on the PS3 is as easy as on the X360.

TC: You can use back-up utility. The only catch is that you won't be able to restore the Dark Souls save file onto anything else except the original console it was made on. If you want that save onto another Playstation 3 unit, you have to 1. register that unit under your user name and 2. use data transfer. The catch in #2 is that it will be deleted from the original PS3 and completely moved onto the new PS3. While also formatting the new PS3.
And no, you can't use back-up utility, data transfer, then restore utility onto the original console. I've tried it; it seems a code of sorts is moved onto the other PS3 that makes the new PS3 able to use all the copy protected saves from the original, while the original stops being able to get its own copy protected saves.

Or just buy PS+ :D
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Holier than thou.
#5hokieneerPosted 12/19/2011 8:30:08 AM
TheOriginalMax posted...
hokieneer posted...

Yeah, it's a completely useless addition. It's not like hacking saves on the PS3 is as easy as on the X360.

Even if it was, who cares? I know it can screw up the MP balance for some games, but how many people hack PS3 saves? How much of the community would be hurt by not having copy-protected saves?

It's just asinine that I can't back up or take my save game file to a friend's house without paying for a premium service. for the next generation, I'd rather console manufacturers go back to proprietary "memory card" devices than stick with this copy-protected stuff. My PS3 is getting old, and i'm very nervous about losing data.
#6TheOriginalMaxPosted 12/19/2011 9:04:22 AM
hokieneer posted...
TheOriginalMax posted...
hokieneer posted...

Even if it was, who cares? I know it can screw up the MP balance for some games, but how many people hack PS3 saves? How much of the community would be hurt by not having copy-protected saves?

It's just asinine that I can't back up or take my save game file to a friend's house without paying for a premium service. for the next generation, I'd rather console manufacturers go back to proprietary "memory card" devices than stick with this copy-protected stuff. My PS3 is getting old, and i'm very nervous about losing data.

I hear you man. The loss of memory cards was completely f***ing idiotic. The PS2 was so easy but now everything is goddamn hard to do.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Holier than thou.
#7hokieneerPosted 12/19/2011 9:12:20 AM
TheOriginalMax posted...

I hear you man. The loss of memory cards was completely f***ing idiotic. The PS2 was so easy but now everything is goddamn hard to do.

And here I thought the use of a USB flash drive as a memory card would be f'n awesome. No proprietary hardware, easy to make back ups to your PC, and most people already carry one with them.
#8TheOriginalMaxPosted 12/19/2011 9:18:12 AM
hokieneer posted...
TheOriginalMax posted...

And here I thought the use of a USB flash drive as a memory card would be f'n awesome. No proprietary hardware, easy to make back ups to your PC, and most people already carry one with them.

Indeed. And even then you have to register the console onto your PS account. It's just all so freaking complicated.
And I already lost all my data once. It f***ing sucked. I hate current gen.
---
Holier than thou.
#9zmbi_gmrPosted 12/19/2011 9:31:13 AM

It angers me as well.  I learned this the hard way back with Demon's Souls.  My original 60 gig PS3 died a little over a year ago.  So I took it apart, fixed it and then took a usb drive to backup my save files.  I was able to backup most of my save files to transport them onto my new PS3, but Demon's Souls and a few other games weren't able to be copied onto the drive.  So if I would like to go back and play Demon's Souls I would have to start from the beginning...

#10TheOriginalMaxPosted 12/19/2011 1:14:58 PM
zmbi_gmr posted...
It angers me as well. I learned this the hard way back with Demon's Souls. My original 60 gig PS3 died a little over a year ago. So I took it apart, fixed it and then took a usb drive to backup my save files. I was able to backup most of my save files to transport them onto my new PS3, but Demon's Souls and a few other games weren't able to be copied onto the drive. So if I would like to go back and play Demon's Souls I would have to start from the beginning...

Well you could always try getting your PS3 to work long enough to do a data transfer. That's what I did with my old 40GB refurb after it went "lolylod".
It held up just long enough to do a complete data transfer and after it was complete the GPU started dying out again.
---
Holier than thou.