Standard Builds & Discussion Thread V1.2 (Updated)

#51ylnahnPosted 1/5/2012 6:46:56 PM
Any one have a viable Greatsword of Artorias build? And is it better to use the normal version or the cursed version?
Also I know that around SL 120 the GoA doesn't compare favorable to most other weapons, but I still wanna try it.
#52SDinkPosted 1/5/2012 11:07:07 PM
*Bumper Kerplunker*
#53strifechug2Posted 1/5/2012 11:19:25 PM

Any one have a viable Greatsword of Artorias build? And is it better to use the normal version or the cursed version?
Also I know that around SL 120 the GoA doesn't compare favorable to most other weapons, but I still wanna try it.

I can't see any use for it except for moonbro hyper builds

TC: Vit:80? isnt it a waste? i always cap at 50

#54Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 11:30:14 PM
XdromeX posted...
question about Black Knight build

Vitality 70 (Vitality Gouge)
Attunement 14 (3 slots reserved for Pyromancy)
Endurance 40 (Max Stamina)
Strength 36 (One-hand BKGA)
Dexterity 18 (Qualify for use of BK weapons)
Resistance 12 (Base)
Intelligence 10 (Base)
Faith 8 (Base)

Is 70 vit and 36 str the best choice ?

Isn't it better to add STR or it doesn't add so much dmg on the BKGA ?

You can take away from Vit or Attunement (opting to take away from the latter means starting with a Bandit class as opposed to a Pyromancer) and add to Strength if you like, AR returns are still good going to 40.

36 Strength produces 582 AR on the BKGA in one-handed grip, as opposed to 609 AR at 40 Strength.

36 Strength produces 620 AR on the BKGA in two-handed grip, as opposed to 625 AR at 40 Strength.

Honestly though I'd think the Black Knight build needed an extra perk to really differentiate it from the ordinary Strength build (apart from merely using the BK weapons), and gouged Vitality hit the spot nicely. Whether you go with a 70/14/36 (Vit, Att, Strength) spread or a 70/10/40 or a 66/14/40 isn't going to make a whole lot of difference to your survivability or damage output, but obviously if you deduct from Attunement you take away from your capacity to use Pyromancy extensively.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PELu7.png
What are YOU playing?
#55Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 11:38:47 PM
strifechug2 posted...
Vit:80? isnt it a waste? i always cap at 50

Pushing Vitality beyond 50 by only be a few points (say something like 52 or 55) is when that investment is wasted because it does practically nothing. If you can hit 70 or 80 on the other hand, that's a different story. If you hit all necessary breakpoints with your build (and other desired objectives), then investing the remaining points (only when there's a significant total) is readily justifiable.

Take something like the Lifehunt Scythe distribution, enough Strength to use the Lifehunt Scythe one-handed, 40 Endurance is achieved, 40 Dexterity is also achieved. Points going anywhere other than Vitality in this build are therefore largely a waste. Similar principle applies to the Vit Gouge / Elemental distribution, since it opts for the elemental weapons which are not dependant on stats, all the build needs to do is have the basic stats needed to equip the desired variety of weapons (which can be upgraded along the Lightning/Fire/Chaos routes, of course). Since 40 Endurance is also achieved in this distribution, the remaining points (which amount to a significant total) can then safely be pushed into Vitality to bolster survivability.

Also remember that higher Vitality means a greater pay-off when used in conjunction with the MotM and RoFaP, you can boost your survivability quite significantly in this manner.
---
What are YOU playing?
#56strifechug2Posted 1/5/2012 11:54:25 PM

Thanks !

One more thing, can you make a dedicated Crit build for BS and Reposte using Bandit Knife or any light weapons?

#57Renegade109(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2012 12:16:09 AM(edited)
strifechug2 posted...
Thanks !One more thing, can you make a dedicated Crit build for BS and Reposte using Bandit Knife or any light weapons?

Simple enough to make on your own.

If you want elemental BK / Rapier / whatever, just use the Vit Gouge / Elemental build, bring Strength / Dex down to the minimum required to one-hand the desired light weapons. Push the rest of your points into Vitality, maybe a couple of extra Attunement slots if you want more Pyro options, whatever.

If you want a scaling variant use either the Dex/Int or Dex/Faith hybrid distributions but again, bring Strength down to the minimum required to one-hand the desired light weapons.

You may have to change the starting class depending on how low you want your Strength to be, especially for the Dagger-class weapons.

ylnahn posted...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61487032
---
What are YOU playing?
#58Parsl5kPosted 1/6/2012 12:36:59 AM
How about a build dedicated to the Stone Greatsword (something like 40/40 str/dex)? The one-handed R2 is a (really iffy) two-hit knockdown combo. The R2s seem to do a lot of poise damage also, but I haven't tested just how much.
#59szathmabPosted 1/6/2012 8:04:19 AM
@renegade ...how do you feel about the Oolacile GMW Strength/Dex build. Just looking for something new. Any suggestions on weapons that work well. Right now I have a low level that I rushed the catacombs for a fire claymore and I'm enjoymg the move set. I'm just looking for another weapon to complement my claymore when i make it +15.
---
PSN:ALLHAILHK
#60AlabasterFilthPosted 1/6/2012 3:31:16 PM
Renegade109 posted...
strifechug2 posted...
Vit:80? isnt it a waste? i always cap at 50

Pushing Vitality beyond 50 by only be a few points (say something like 52 or 55) is when that investment is wasted because it does practically nothing. If you can hit 70 or 80 on the other hand, that's a different story. If you hit all necessary breakpoints with your build (and other desired objectives), then investing the remaining points (only when there's a significant total) is readily justifiable.

Also remember that higher Vitality means a greater pay-off when used in conjunction with the MotM and RoFaP, you can boost your survivability quite significantly in this manner.

QFT, some numbers here, when using both MotM and RoFaP:

50 VIT = 2070
70 VIT = 2311
99 VIT = 2622

An extra 20 points gives you ~300 more health, that's very significant for PvP