Need advice on leveling spellsword

#1falcon182Posted 12/31/2011 10:40:11 AM
I'm attempting to follow the spell-sword FAQ here on gamefaqs but I'm having some trouble. I just defeated the Taurus demon, but I still only have the fireball spell. Should I still be pumping INT anyway or focus on END? The guide says neglect pretty much everything else.
---
*FatesDenial
E/L/SC Add or message me ^_^
#2Nasada19Posted 12/31/2011 10:43:57 AM
That's a bad build and a waste of time. 40-50 vit and 40 end should be your priorities as you can just use a lightning weapon to carry you throughout the game. Just take the minimum str/dex requirement for your weapon of choice.

I'd recommend 32 int unless you're going for a PURE caster build. That gives you access to Homing Crystal Soulmass and Crystal Magic weapon. 2 attunement slots, then either 40 dex or str. Then you have a good weapon enchant build.
---
There is a great need for a sarcasm font.
#3FullSynchroPosted 12/31/2011 10:47:00 AM
yeah, stick with 16 strength and 12 dex, that will also let you use the Moonlight Greatsword, a very good weapon for sorcerors
---
Diamond Code: 1333 0236 8007
#4Kiyosuki_Mk2Posted 12/31/2011 10:58:16 AM
Spellsword builds are not a waste of time, you can easilly have one with 45 VIT and 40 END with a variety of options other than even enchants by 120, and if you've got the STR or DEX depending on what you go up on +15s tend to do more consistent damage than Elementals because of various resistances, even if Elemental damage is generally a bit higher on paper.

If it's your first character though, simpler could be good too since spellsword builds tend to be pretty stat specific. And no matter what if you're going INT, whether you go pure INT or hybrid you should make getting Moonlight Greatsword a big priority. It's practically a whole strength of an INT build of any sort in itself.

Also keep in mind if you do go spellsword, you kind of have to think about which stat you want to be the "sub", like for instance if it's Dex/Int you could have 30 Dex 44 Int (for Crystal Soul Spear and good all around int strength), or 40 Dex and 32 INT (32's important because its what lets you use Tin Crystal Catalyst.) If you want STR/Int you kind of need at least 40 strength to get the most unique options available so that's kind of the only way to go there imo.

If you want there's also a sort of popular thing right now of making a high Strength (Or dex if you want but Str seems to benefit from this more) character with 15 Int and using Oolicile Catalyst that has set scaling (not affected by int) to cast Greater Magic Weapon, although I haven't used this yet and I'm not sure I will but it's an option.
#5Nasada19Posted 12/31/2011 11:03:01 AM
Kiyosuki_Mk2 posted...
Spellsword builds are not a waste of time, you can easilly have one with 45 VIT and 40 END with a variety of options other than even enchants by 120.

Yeah, I know that. It's my favorite build so far. HOWEVER the build he's following from the FAQ section recommends only 10 vit which is just insane. Along with pumping int to 50-80, saying the winged spear is the best melee weapon, and only having 13 strength so they can't even use the moonlight greatsword like even a caster should.
---
There is a great need for a sarcasm font.
#6falcon182(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2011 6:29:07 PM
Now I'm very confused...I've been following that guide pretty strictly, but it now sounds like it's very wrong. So I should put at least 16 into STR for the moonlight sword, but also get VIT to about 40? What about gear, I've been using the winged spear and my starting armor as suggested by the guide should I be replacing those soon? I really don't want to mess up my character and have to start over, does anyone have a link to a good spell-sword guide, and any tips for me?
---
*FatesDenial
#7FullSynchroPosted 12/31/2011 6:30:30 PM
40 vit is an end game thing

you can leave it at 15 to 25 for quite a while
---
Diamond Code: 1333 0236 8007
#8Kimpossible78Posted 12/31/2011 6:34:08 PM
Don't even bother with recommended builds. My Faith build is SL144 and she's perfect. Plenty of pvp action.
---
PSN: Kimberly0780
#9falcon182(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2011 6:35:33 PM
Should I be pumping DEX as one of the above posters said? I thought I had it figured out when I read the spell warrior FAQ, but this game is very confusing. Thanks for the help, any link to a good spell-sword build would be greatly appreciated!
---
*FatesDenial
#10a_ak57Posted 12/31/2011 6:45:01 PM
That spell warrior FAQ is trash. Not only is it outdated info, it's just bad advice. The winged spear is not something anyone should ever build around, and the 10 vit is awful for most players. Take a look at these builds:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61494289

They're just guidelines so you could modify them depending on what weapons you like. Also it depends on if you want to be mage first melee second or vice versa. If you want to primarily be a sorceror then just use the dedicated int build, but if you like meleeing more and would use spells as backup then look at either the dex/int or str/int builds based upon what kind of weapons you like more.

This game has diminishing returns on stats, which is why you don't see most go past 40 or 50 in those builds. I.E. you get very little gain in attack from 40 dex to 50, or 50 in to 60.
---
Long days and pleasant nights.