Cannot...parry...Gwyn...

#1redalert62386Posted 1/5/2012 7:25:33 PM
I'm at my wits end here. I've tried just fighting him straight up and that hasn't been working and I can't parry him for the life of me. I have no problem parrying the black knights leading up to him but against Gwyn, it all just goes wrong. It's not like I've been having a a difficult time with the game recently, either. I mean, I think I handled the four lords fairly easily, mainly because I have balanced stats and a strong weapon (black knight sword +5). But this dude just keeps dominating me. I'm SL 80, too.

I don't know what the deal is. I've been playing all day, maybe I just need a break. Anybody got any suggestions? And, no, I don't have Iron Flesh. :(
---
"As a man in a relationship, you can either be right, or you can be happy."
#2DespondentDeityPosted 1/5/2012 7:29:27 PM(edited)
You can queue up a parry while holding down L1, then just release it when you'd like to execute the parry, block the first swing of his combo and parry the second.
#3PS3DragonPosted 1/5/2012 7:31:01 PM
Farming Silver Knights in Andor Londo can help you get good at parrying. At least against the black knights. If parrying Gwyn is to hard, just kill him the old fashion way.
#4redalert62386(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 7:36:42 PM
Like I said, I've been trying the old fashion way but was losing patience (which is the #1 thing you must have with this game, I know) and found out you can parry him. The video's I've seen make it look so easy and then I fail so hard, lol.

I think I might have made a mistake by breaking my ring of favor in exchange for putting on the hornet ring. I wish I had that stamina back, just in case I decide to try the old fashion way again. But if I get parrying down, the hornet ring will really come in handy.
---
#5aak57Posted 1/5/2012 7:38:56 PM
Use the black knight shield and upgrade it. You can easily take the first hit with the shield then parry the second. Then after you riposte, let your stamina recharge and stay in place. If you don't go anywhere, he generally will just stand up, then go back into his 4 hit combo and you can repeat.
---
Long days and pleasant nights.
#6redalert62386(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 7:56:05 PM
Already using it but I guess I could upgrade it. Can't hurt.

Thanks for the tips, hopefully I can get my head out of my ass and land a decent parry. Or maybe I should just grind it out. I have a feeling I'll be more inclined to do that after a nice break from the game.

I'll try again in a few hours, lol.
---
#7PS3DragonPosted 1/5/2012 7:59:07 PM
Yeah, nailing a parry can usually take off almost a third of his life.
It's hard, but it's all practice and patience.
#8YagaminouePosted 1/5/2012 8:02:13 PM
Block the first hit, and parry the second immediately. Once you get the timing down, the fight is a joke.
#9foxhoundnomahPosted 1/5/2012 8:04:08 PM
...ant eat grass,never forget your grass.
#10redalert62386(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2012 8:05:04 PM
That's what the videos make it out to be, a joke!

I just can't tell if I trying to parry too early or too late. I thought you were supposed to do it right before the hit but I might be doing it too early. Like I said, I was playing for a long stretch and my eyes were probably starting to cross and I was losing patience. The Tomb of the Giants pretty much drained any I had.

Again, thanks for the tips!
---