Pyromancy is no good...

#1KingAvatarPosted 2/2/2012 1:54:09 PM
I started as a pyromancer and I have always used swords and shield in my now 35 hours of game time. I recently started upgrading my pyromancy and got few more spells. Now it's at pyro +10, but the damage for fireball and fire orb are just okay.

And one thing I dislike about pyromancy is it's range. It doesn't shoot very far and the enemy would usually start noticing me and attacking me when I get close enough. I also can't block with my shield while I'm casting.

I don't know if pyromancy is worth it now...
#2bluefunkyPosted 2/2/2012 1:56:19 PM

I love Pyro against the game enemies.  PvP its worthless bar a couple of "spells".  Upgrade it to +15, ascend it in the swamp then get it to +5 and see how you feel then.  Don't write it off before you've realised its full potential.

#3gna647Posted 2/2/2012 1:56:34 PM
ascended pyro glove +5 with great combustion is a fantastic tactic to use on PVP

it does a lot of damage on bosses too.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvsq94GML81ql6hpqo1_500.jpg
She's my wife, 11-1-2009 <3
#4KingAvatar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2012 2:09:40 PM
So how do you use pyro properly? Even when I use it against PvE, I tend to get hit by enemies when they are pursuing me or when I'm surrounded. It's hard to time to distance between the enemy and I and the casting time.
#5gna647Posted 2/2/2012 2:12:01 PM(edited)
KingAvatar posted...
So how do you use pyro properly? Even when I use it against PvE, I tend to get hit by enemies when they are pursuing me or when I'm surrounded. It's hard to time to distance between the enemy and I and the casting time.

well umm if you can't even use pyromancy on PVE...i don't think it's the pyro's fault, it's yours.

Learn how to use it properly. Get distance before casting. Don't get surrounded, seriously if you're getting surrounded by enemies you have to rethink your tactics.

If you see something charging at you, don't use fireballs...use combustion. If its a group of enemies at a distance..use fireballs. If you're surrounded and need a last resort...firestorm.
---
#6KingAvatar(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2012 2:18:10 PM
Not going to lie, I got owned by those worms that came out of people crawling on the ground with giant bumps on their back when I was using pyro. T_T
#7DarthSchubertPosted 2/2/2012 2:18:58 PM
KingAvatar posted...

Practice. Practice. Practice.

As you get used to it, you'll know when to cast your fireball - it is after you aggro an enemy, but before they close in on you all the way (this is assuming you are using lock on). Other spells like fire whip or combustion you can use almost like a melee attack, with similar timing.

Pyromancy is extremely powerful PvE, it will just take practice. I'm sure the same way you had to practice to learn the timing of attacks in melee.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#8gna647Posted 2/2/2012 2:20:56 PM
KingAvatar posted...
Not going to lie, I got owned by those worms that came out of people crawling on the ground with giant bumps on their back when I was using pyro. T_T

why would you attack them. They don't even attack you and are too slow.
---
#9LuchoZ06Posted 2/2/2012 2:24:42 PM(edited)

KingAvatar posted...

why would you attack them. They don't even attack you and are too slow.

Two of those guys attack you on your way to Demon Ruins.

Great Combustion is pretty good for every situation, it does a lot of damage even when your opponent is guarding.
Try Chaos Pyromancy with 10 Humanity too.
---
PSN Voyage52
Currently Playing Riviera, Dark Souls, UMVC3
#10LivesPosted 2/2/2012 2:35:53 PM
Well for one... Fireball and Fire Orb are just "ok" spells. Go save up some souls and buy Great Fireball (20,000 souls), and Great Combustion (5,000 souls), and Fire Whip (10,000 souls). Or join the Chaos Covenant and get Great Chaos Fireball for free. Keep upgrading your glove, then it will start doing damage like the way you want it to. To upgrade your pyro glove all the way takes roughly over 300,000 souls collectively. I totally think it's worth it as well. Many of the game's enemies are weak against fire. Quelaana of Izalith in Blighttown is ya fairy godmotha. Go get the Dusk Crown, and equip the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, and you have some serious damage from pyromancy that just took zero planning stat-wise. It's free damage that doesn't effect the build of your character, whatever build it might be.

Why, oh why, do more people not use Fire Whip? The more I use it, the more I think it's my favorite over spell. Just have to be careful when you cast it because you can be vulnerable while you are casting.... if you don't end up wrecking whatever you just lit on fire.