i think i realized why i love dark souls but don't really like demon's souls

#1BlazeRunnerPosted 2/6/2012 11:44:57 PM
Back when Demon's Souls went down to 30$ about a year ago, I bought it and ended up getting rid of it since I didn't like it. For some reason, I closely followed Dark Souls and got it Day 1, and have been playing it ever since. It's actually easily my most played game this gen (with Uncharted 2 multiplayer coming second), and I can't wait for the next Souls game.

I decided to pick up Demon's Souls the other day since I figured I'd give it a second chance, and the thing that is really bothering me that I hadn't noticed until now is the loading screens. In Dk, if you get frustrated, you can just go somewhere else in the open world or find some covenant things to do, but in De, it's return to the arch stone (load), warp back to the nexus (load), decide where to go next (load), and then arrive at your new destination. Did anyone else get frustrated with this?
---
i go t-rex.
psn: BlazeRunnerSTL
#2KOTRsssPosted 2/6/2012 11:50:22 PM
I remember just having no idea where to go next, and nothing along the lines of bonfires to help me out.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#3GuyIncognito_Posted 2/6/2012 11:50:56 PM
You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

We are indebted to you, for you fight on our behalf.
---
psn: d-guyincognito-b
http://www.youtube.com/superguyincognito
#4capgamerPosted 2/6/2012 11:52:17 PM
Hmm... I don't really remember it being that much of a problem. What I didn't really like about Demon's Souls is that every playthrough feels very same-y. I beat the game once and then I was just... done. I had experienced it.

I collected all the items and I couldn't see future playthrough being more interesting than the first one. My first character was melee so I basically played the game at the most difficult level without making up silly rules to make the game intentionally harder. After beating it once, the sense of surprise and wonder was gone.

With Dark Souls you're given so many different options as to what paths you want to take and how you want to handle the enemies and obstacles that it has remained "fresh" for much longer to me.

To make a comparison to another series: Demon's Souls is Fallout 3 and Dark Souls is Fallout New Vegas. In both cases the second game was less polished but also allowed much more customization and more meaningful interaction with the game.
---
Pac-Man is a plague, a black spot on video game history and we must EXPOSE the TRUTH.
I prefer it to anything by Ubisoft.
#5Friar_SandPosted 2/7/2012 12:07:21 AM
I think it's because you're a woman.
---
Oh, hello.
#6lone_wolf765Posted 2/7/2012 12:15:22 AM
I liked the loading screens in Demon's Souls, they were more creative than <insert item picture> <insert item description>. Even though there were only a few of them. When you got frustrated with Demon's Souls you went on the board and raged and went to do something else until you got up the nerve to get back to it. d=
---
MH3 ID: BBRRL4
1000 karma ^^
#7ninji_Posted 2/7/2012 4:00:23 AM
lone_wolf765 posted...
I liked the loading screens in Demon's Souls, they were more creative than <insert item picture> <insert item description>. Even though there were only a few of them. When you got frustrated with Demon's Souls you went on the board and raged and went to do something else until you got up the nerve to get back to it. d=

Demon's Souls In my honest opinion is a great game. I'd give it the same score I'd give Dark souls... Maybe a bit higher.

Honestly Demon's Souls had that 'balance' that made magic actually useful. If i were to cast firestorm using an insanity catalyst. Somethings gonna die if it dosent move. If i cast Firestorm using a fully upgraded pyroglove, someones gonna get back stabbed and it definitely aint my target with me kneeling on the ground.

Secondly I've had less rubberbanding, I've gotten usetoo Dark Soul's Rubberbanding when I play with out of country people or people who have Bad internet... though it never happened in Demon's Souls.

With this all said, Dark souls is unique and If you do look past the multiplayer issues... Yes, Its fun. I liked the Nexus more, the areas were more sectioned out and less 'confusing' the first time around. You just kept trying until you found a point of least resistance. Though in Dark souls that could be the same, just with more wandering.
#8TechnicallyFoulPosted 2/7/2012 4:47:04 AM
I actually liked the Demon's Souls's loading screens. They were nice to look at, and added to the atmosphere of the game without giving away too much information or being utterly derp-fail like the Dark Souls's mismatched item to item description loading screens.
Homeward emits a short blast of concussive force, you say? Fascinating!
#9Oil_Rope_BombsPosted 2/7/2012 5:58:46 AM
TechnicallyFoul posted...
I actually liked the Demon's Souls's loading screens. They were nice to look at, and added to the atmosphere of the game without giving away too much information or being utterly derp-fail like the Dark Souls's mismatched item to item description loading screens.
Homeward emits a short blast of concussive force, you say? Fascinating!

Seek Guidance is so powerful too! Love that lightning spear.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMK55G52g_s
Update videos regularly. Make sure to check!
#10GodzFollowerPosted 2/7/2012 6:24:37 AM
Demons SOuls Load screens were cool since they were all backgrounds dedicated the characters. I accidently learned about some characters because of those load screens.

The only beef I have with Demons Souls, is the world tendency's, I hated the idea of it and how hard it was to manipulate. Easily over complicating access to certain side quests that half the time weren't even worth the trouble.

There only saving grace was interacting with the characters for the first time. One of my favorite moments being the first time I ran into Satsuki.
---
Gfaqs is the home of the echo posters