new youtube video of record 70 minute speedrun

#1SopheeGamerPosted 5/1/2012 9:13:08 AM
Just a convenience for Dark Souls fans. The original speedrun was over on nicovideo.jp in 7 different files. I combined all of them into a single youtube link. It's a full speedrun and does not use the Kiln-glitch to bypass bosses. Early on he gets the Black Knight Halberd from Darkroot and the Red Tearstone from the Drake area (for hyper mode) and proceeds to whoop up on everything.

Video Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-fuBhRceQ
#2Zombie2626Posted 5/1/2012 9:38:32 AM
WOW only 14 min in, but dude is a BOSS!
---
PSN: TMAN2626
#3bopjo1Posted 5/1/2012 9:59:53 AM

Thanks for posting this. I am learning a lot of shortcuts I didn't know about!

#4eugene1222Posted 5/1/2012 10:03:46 AM
Well, the fact that he got the halberd was very lucky, but hes cool, knows areas like the back of his hand :D

That sif fight was disappointing though, same with OnS, like he didnt even know what hes doing or something :/
---
Young master, i cannot aid one who opposes the master.
#5BlazeAssassinPosted 5/1/2012 10:09:15 AM
Haven't watched it yet, but I'm assuming this is by doing the whole game? I've seen some people beat it in under 45 minutes by abusing a skip that lets you skip the four lords. Thanks for link though, definitely going to watch it.
#6GuyIncognito_Posted 5/1/2012 10:21:32 AM
American speed run: how fast you can get from your couch after playing Dark Souls to your computer and post a complaint about pvp on an online forum.
---
psn: d-guyincognito-b
http://www.youtube.com/superguyincognito
#7bopjo1Posted 5/1/2012 10:31:04 AM

Wow...Tomb of the Giants with no light? Insane...

#8RENNELSPosted 5/1/2012 10:36:37 AM
GuyIncognito_ posted...
American speed run: how fast you can get from your couch after playing Dark Souls to your computer and post a complaint about pvp on an online forum.

Hmm, surprised you didn't post a link to one of your youtube vids.
---
PSN: RENNELS PSN: omgAmaskHERPDERP
Most of what I say is slathered in sarcasm. Act accordingly.
#9eugene1222Posted 5/1/2012 10:42:58 AM
Alright having watched the whole thing, and how many "mistakes" he made (regardless of the fact that he didnt die once... :D), I bet my life he couldnt have done it better than shoiko's time if he doesnt get lucky with the BK halberd drop.

Still thats pretty insane, good job whoever this is. :D
---
Young master, i cannot aid one who opposes the master.
#10LivesPosted 5/1/2012 10:45:01 AM
eugene1222 posted...
Well, the fact that he got the halberd was very lucky, but hes cool, knows areas like the back of his hand :D

That sif fight was disappointing though, same with OnS, like he didnt even know what hes doing or something :/

This is exactly what I thought. I wonder how many times they had to play that opening 5-10 minutes to get the black knight halberd, and I also wonder wtf happened when they were fighting Sif. They handled everything else just fine. The S&O fight is still pretty good... they were rushing, so it's no surprise that they will take a few hits, plus maybe triggering the red ring in the process was intentional? I don't remember.

The time could have been even lower if it wasn't for four kings and their random moveset. Overall... impressive.

I've gone through Tomb of the Giants without light before, and pretty quick too (just like what they did, you can basically follow 80% of it while having a wall on your right side). However, I've never made that many successive "leaps of faith". Quite impressive. Also, I had never thought of using the elevator in Duke's Archives to skip half the level. That's got to chop off at least a few minutes right there. Super impressive.

I always want to know how many times it doens't go right, for every time it does. For example... how many times has the person gotten to Anor Londo and died and then thought "well there goes one try" and starts all over. Same for Bed of Chaos. Just curious.

Whenever another Dark Souls game is made, I have a feeling that From Software might try to make things more difficult by eliminating shortcuts like the one they used in the Duke's Archives. I bet that must be super hard to think about as a developer though.

Finally, props to whoever did that. Very impressive. I can do a speedrun, but I can't do a speedrun like that.