I'm looking for a new single player game...

#1fisheye11Posted 5/4/2012 9:40:26 PM
i'm a average gamer. gaming is my hobby and i spend about 2 to 3 hours a day playing.(sometimes more on my nights off from work) i recently got done with a game that i was really into and am looking for another. i kinda want to pick this game up but i'm on the fence ATM. i played demon souls only past the first boss. i would have played more i think but i was borrowing it from a friend and had intrest in other games at the time. i also have played "hard" games like monster hunter freedom unite on the PSP. so i know about farming and using certain tactics.(dodge/roll, guarding) i guess what it comes down to is if this game will hold my attention enough to withstand my patience. i know this game is like trial and error so i dont think i would rage when playing/dying.

i remember if a player died in demon souls, the difficulty would increase. it that the same for dark souls?
---
PSN: fisheye11
That sound you hear on a empty street when you're walking home alone is me...
#2eulbedocPosted 5/4/2012 9:45:39 PM
fisheye11 posted...
i played demon souls only past the first boss.

i remember if a player died in demon souls, the difficulty would increase. it that the same for dark souls?

Your experience with Dark Souls will probably be similar to yours with Demon's Souls. If you liked Demon's Souls, you'll probably like Dark Souls. Likewise if you didn't like it.

I personally don't remember the difficulty increasing when I died in Demon Souls. If it did, it wasn't noticeable to me. Whether you die or not in Dark Souls, difficulty seems to stay the same.
#3fisheye11(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 9:54:53 PM
well i did like the mechanics of demon souls. and i think my job(a retail store) sells dark souls for $40. i'll go ahead and pick it up and start it hopefully this sunday night.

thanks for the insight.
---
#4Bullshifty12Posted 5/4/2012 10:45:30 PM
fisheye11 posted...
well i did like the mechanics of demon souls. and i think my job(a retail store) sells dark souls for $40. i'll go ahead and pick it up and start it hopefully this sunday night.

thanks for the insight.

You might consider waiting for the Prepare to Die edition...more content.
#5heavyacademicPosted 5/5/2012 12:39:34 AM
fisheye11 posted...
i guess what it comes down to is if this game will hold my attention enough to withstand my patience.

I lack the psychic powers required to answer your question. Personally I have spent over 100 hours of happy gaming with Dark Souls. I hope you do as well.

You say "single player game." If that means you are not going to play online and interact with other players, then you will be missing out on some of the most rewarding/frustrating aspects of the game.

No.
#6saint_ratPosted 5/5/2012 1:37:38 AM
I never played Demon Souls, but I did work my way through the King's Field series back in the day.
Dark Souls was a really good single player game for me when I played it. Screamed/swore out loud. Scared neighbors. Hours of grinding. Downed fourth boss and got to fifth boss without getting to a save point first. Died. I'll probably pick it up again in a few months, but I'm getting older and I just can't deal with the rage anymore. Gonna give me an ulcer.
Everytime I accidentally got online with it, I just got ganked. Game is frustrating enough without the added element of some random guy pulling the rug out from underneath you.
Maybe the PvP element is more balanced in endgame? Not sure.

tl;dr - get the game. It entertained me for 30 or 40 hours (yes, that's how long it took me to get to the fifth boss, so what?). I'll definitely pick it up again as soon as my blood pressure goes back down.
#7Rip_Van_WinkleXPosted 5/5/2012 3:04:51 AM
eulbedoc posted...
fisheye11 posted...
i played demon souls only past the first boss.

Your experience with Dark Souls will probably be similar to yours with Demon's Souls. If you liked Demon's Souls, you'll probably like Dark Souls. Likewise if you didn't like it.

I personally don't remember the difficulty increasing when I died in Demon Souls. If it did, it wasn't noticeable to me. Whether you die or not in Dark Souls, difficulty seems to stay the same.

Dying in Demons Souls do increase it a bit. If you die in body form the world starts to go darker. Mobs will have increase of health and a increase of drop rates.

If you were online it was almost impossible to turn a world dark since everyone flys though it and keeps it almost white :P
---
GamerTag: RipVanWinkleX
#8fisheye11(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 5:45:36 AM
Bullshifty12 posted...

You might consider waiting for the Prepare to Die edition...more content.

i just picked it up. i didn't know there was another edition coming. oh well. i'll get started with just the core game and see if i want the extra content.

i might only play this in single player. i'm not all that great at most online games where you are up aginst another player. especialy one that has been playing a lot longer than me. i'll just play this for the experience and make the decision to play it online later.
---
#9Ork_HeroPosted 5/5/2012 6:57:01 AM(edited)
With the patch that made everything easier you should have an easier time here. Souls and Humanity are really easy to get, along with bonfires acting as checkpoints so you don't start all over means death is very trivial in this game. I'd say give it a shot, this is casual compared to Dks.

edit : meant to say this is casual compared to DeS
---
'Ere we go!