Bow testing damage numbers

#21AwesomeOpossum2Posted 10/12/2012 8:14:21 PM
Cvdf3 posted...
Nice stuff guys, Faith archer is weirdly tempting now...

This
---
"The world is cruel to shiny things...". -Lucky
Psn: A-Train1982
#22TorebackulaPosted 10/12/2012 8:14:46 PM
spikes_dimak posted...
All the smaller bows, bb of pharis, longbow, composite, and what not, even when fully upgraded only ever did about 100-200 dmg per shot for me depending on range.

The dragonslayer greatbow always did about 200-350 dmg per shot and achieving knockdown most of the time.

Doesn't it really depend on what type of armor the opponent is wearing and what shield if any they are using.

It does depend on what the opponent is wearing, which is demonstrated by the data in the link HK provided. If you actually look at the dmg numbers, you'll see that with proper stat backing the occult composite can net you about 200dmg a shot against some of the best armor in the game. With a less-optimized opponent I've seen dmg up to 250+, which can really add up if you know how to properly space yourself and land shots.

If the data isn't helpful, it might not be a build for you :D
---
I am gonna pound you so gross later.
PSN: Torebackula; Krondoobius ---------- Faces of Fashion Souls: http://imgur.com/a/CwoYC/
#23Nick_Chaos007Posted 10/12/2012 8:17:33 PM
I just use this to calculate the damage.

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

It even has defense of actual enemies. the difference between the calculator and the actual damage done is less then a difference of +/-2% so it's pretty accurate. To give you an idea, inputting a hollow soldiers defense into the calculator and using Moonlight Greatsword. I have an AR of 480. with a 1hand swing I do 432 damage to the hollow soldier in game. The calculator projects I will do 431 damage. So if you're unsure of the damage in pvp. Use that for the weapons combined with defensive stats obtained on mugenmonkey character builder.

Also testing my +4 enchanted composite bow and moonlight arrows with 50 int 16 str 12 dex. I did 335 damage to the same hollow warrior, the calculator projects 336 damage.

Helps with builds a lot and gives you a good idea of what the damage is going to be like. After all people are going to be wearing different armors so it's not like all defense is going to be the same. However, if you put in a set defense amount (like 400 total physical defense and 300 for resist) you can get numbers for what HIGH defense is going to be.
---
Kill one man, You're a murderer. Kill 1,000 men, You're a king. Kill them all....and You're a god!
#24TorebackulaPosted 10/12/2012 9:12:02 PM
Glad to see some interest in this build! Here's my version, more or less:

http://tinyurl.com/8bly83y

That's off the top of my head, my wife is watching Netflix on the PS3 so I can't get you guys the exact loadouts at the moment. 42 poise for tanking 2 1h katana R1's, which is one of the only weapons fast enough to hit you if you play your cards right. The 0 poise pieces are dealer's choice, but unless you are well-versed with fast roll PvP I'd recommend keeping the DWGR. Archer builds play like a big game of keep away, keeping distance to fire off shots while making the close counter exchanges fall in your favor. Fast roll has a shorter total roll length, so it is more difficult to create space without DWGR. It can be done if you are efficient in parrying/counter BS, but it's alot more stressful.

Start off by poisoning your opponent, like I said earlier. Swap arrows and maintain distance while popping off shots. Watch how your opponent reacts. If they go for a running R1, try to bait a parry from there. Try to bs you, shot cancel and counter circle. Mix it up by throwing out a WoG when they get close or try for a roll bs. When played right it really is a hard build to counter, but in playing it right there's slot that can go wrong. I had my fair share of derp moments from botched weapon swaps; numerous bow backstabs, talisman punches, all kinds of fun stuff. However once you get the mechanics down its a blast to play, and borderline trollish to fight.
---
PSN: Torebackula; Krondoobius ---------- Faces of Fashion Souls: http://imgur.com/a/CwoYC/
#25beggargirlPosted 10/12/2012 9:32:41 PM
Torebackula posted...
The 0 poise pieces are dealer's choice, but unless you are well-versed with fast roll PvP I'd recommend keeping the DWGR. Archer builds play like a big game of keep away, keeping distance to fire off shots while making the close counter exchanges fall in your favor. Fast roll has a shorter total roll length, so it is more difficult to create space without DWGR.

Oh for goodness sake I just started trying to fast roll instead of ninja flipping and have been dying like crazy. Is there a page somewhere that lists the important info you need to know if you are trying to get into PvP? I'm slow and I need stuff spelled out for me. I swear I didn't clue in to the fact that you could plunge attack the Asylum Demon or Taurus until someone told me, and didn't realize you could lock on to enemies until I got to the Parish. :(
#26szathmab(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 3:19:40 AM
This is my faith archer
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2512015752322808

That set up is what I use now. After the DLC I will use the obsidian great sword.

I play mine alot different than tore. I do alot of WoG cancels. WoG to bs is the bread and butter to this. I dont even bother with poision I just keep firing shots at people then they charge. When they are in range shot cancel->wog->bs. They get up start shooting at them make them charge. WoG cancel they usually go for a roll bs and miss giving you time to get more spacing. Keep shooting at them. They will come at you expecting the wog. When they are coming at you shot cancel move to the side, this will cause their back to swing to you then bs.

Pretty much this play style gets people very angry and after a couple of fights they just crystal out.
For people that really piss me off I'll get dirty and shot cancel->wog->bs->Oki WoG->bs->etc.
---
Please call me HK
A little effort here and there will serve you well, princess.
#27AwesomeOpossum2Posted 10/13/2012 4:17:18 AM
I can vouch for the build HK just talked about. He's beat me with it a few times.
---
"The world is cruel to shiny things...". -Lucky
Psn: A-Train1982
#28BigWilliePlaysPosted 10/13/2012 4:21:16 AM
Torebackula posted...

I'll be honest here ENB; you say my name in a video I'll tell you anything you want :P Jokes aside, love the channel and the different kinds of research/testing you've done. And not to steer the topic in a different direction, but I'm loving the Cave Story LP. Trying to convince my wife to download it now :D

Tore wants a shout? Pfff, you got it, bro.

"How can you backstab with all this PvP?"

I appreciate the tips from you and HK. Too much PVE- I almost never think about enemy resists. Those are some interesting numbers that prove how much I should pay attention. More than that, arrow swap tricks and shot cancel -> WotG sounds like fun times to me!

I was originally considering something using a bow with the Leo- supposedly (I haven't personally tested it), bow counters also get the bonus. It wouldn't affect the magic damage for this build, though. On the other hand, a +15 CB with Leo stacked with Power Within could put out some damage. If you are playing a straight archer, Leo + Hawk, Power Within (maybe Sanctus on your back?) could potentially be a thing. I dunno. Just brain-storming ideas.

And Cave Story IS badass... and good god that ish got HARD. ENB rage video sometime next week. I think all my commentary was "Wow. Wow. Really? wtf. WOW."

Good times!
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro
better to offer help to a troll than turn away a noob - PHoToS999
#29Rudyz123Posted 10/13/2012 6:24:29 AM
@Torebackula I like your bow build but because you using a composite bow surely you would want to use the Hawk Ring for PVE?
#30TorebackulaPosted 10/13/2012 7:18:20 AM
Rudyz123 posted...
@Torebackula I like your bow build but because you using a composite bow surely you would want to use the Hawk Ring for PVE?

Truth be told I almost never play through PvE anymore, I have numerous accts with all the builds I'll ever want to PvP with. Like I mentioned earlier, playing an archer is similar to playing keep away from your opponent. I usually just try to maintain 1-2 rolls distance and fire from there, so no worries about composite's limited range.
---