Why do people get so mad when they bow and get backstabbed?

#31WATAUGACJPosted 11/5/2012 12:24:04 PM
Spectre_v13 posted...
Reminded of a match I had in the forest the other day.

Expecting a ganking I backed up when the host and a summon came at me. After a while the host just stood there and just the summon edged towards me before bowing.

'Aha!' I thought. 'Tis the first honourable duel in the forest!' And promptly bowed back.

The summon finished his animation just as I started and came up to backstab me, all I could do was sit there and watch the screen.

Somewhat fittingly I was in the middle of the animation where the character bends over just as he penetrated me. Though to be honest I laughed.

Lol, ok the forest is the one area I will backstab people when they bow to me. I mean come on it's the forest.....
---
PSN: WATAUGACJ, DomhnallOfZena
#32boy_luckPosted 11/5/2012 12:37:07 PM
dthomas125 posted...
boy_luck posted...
Good for you TC, I also backstab people who bow. This game is not about honor, it's about being a d***bag. I mean, the game was designed for you to be one.

False.

The game is designed to give players choices. D-bags choose to be d-bags, people that want to have an honorable duel have that choice as well. I think this game is a great depiction of human society at large.

D-bags will continue to troll. People with Honor will continue to proceed as they see fit.

I agree with that to an extent. You can be a dbag in this game and be a good person in real life. I, for one, don't think this game is about honor. The game trolls you constantly (especially if you are playing it for the first time without the help of faqs and whatnot), so it does vicarously influence you into being a dbag. Even the lore of the game tells you that invaders are there to kill you no matter what.

I personally find phantoms that troll you or babysit a player to be more dbags than invaders who don't do this so-called "honor fighting."
---
The gamefaqs mods are heavy drinkers
Nathan Drake: Manly beauty embodied.
#33Lord_999Posted 11/5/2012 12:51:14 PM
boy_luck posted...
Good for you TC, I also backstab people who bow. This game is not about honor, it's about being a d***bag. I mean, the game was designed for you to be one.

No, this game will let you be who you want to be. I won't say I've never been a dbag in the game, but by and large I play honorably. But that's who I am in real life too.

Whether or not that's a winning strategy, I believe people who are a-holes in-game are a-holes in real life too.
---
XBL GT: Lord 997
#34Silent_AlarmPosted 11/5/2012 12:53:14 PM
Crimson681 posted...
When I invade, no quarter is shown and none is expected. If you bow, I'll backstab you or dark bead to the face if I got it.

Dark Souls motto is "Prepare to die", which means don't bow to your enemy unless you want to die.

2 days ago I backstabbed a dude that bowed to me, he rage quits, 20 minutes later I receive an essay for hate mail, which in return got a 4 word reply, and this dude has been sending me one rage essay after another for 2 days straight, just because he lost on a video game. Is this guy mad or what? Are people really arrogant enough to think that everyone else is supposed to play by the same rules that they do?

Please show us a screenshot of the hatemail that you've obviously made up.
---
PSN & XBL: AM180
My Demon's/Dark Souls Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/AM1800?feature=mhee
#35hemphoarderPosted 11/5/2012 12:53:33 PM
Video game honor. The best kind.
---
I couldn't care less...
PSN:Sleepyydwarf
#36WrattsPosted 11/5/2012 12:57:15 PM
Dark Souls is a game full of hostility; Lordran is out to rip you a new one and so are plenty of players. Unless you invited someone with the red soapstone, you shouldn't be expecting a fair fight. Even then you should be careful. So I never bow to begin a PvP fight, because you never know what kind of person to expect. Sometimes someone bows in the middle of me rushing in to attack when I invade them solo, or takes some CHSM in the face I had already set up beforehand. I usually let them heal up while I bow back then though. Most of the time I just bow AFTER the fight if I win and want to show some respect.
#37DaHuddManPosted 11/5/2012 12:57:17 PM
TC and his kind are why I advocate universal genocide.
---
Insomnium, Swallow the Sun, Agalloch- These are good bands.
#38clubber42Posted 11/5/2012 12:57:48 PM
I dont always bow, but when i do, i prefer dos exis.
---
psn- Clubber_Lang_Jr
#39Lord_999Posted 11/5/2012 12:58:51 PM
hemphoarder posted...
Video game honor. The best kind.

Since it's anonymous, it let's the true person come out, so it might be the most honest kind.

I'm starting to come off like a self-righteous little c***, so I will say that I'm occasionally a dishonorable dips*** in the game, but mostly not.
---
#40Lord_999Posted 11/5/2012 1:07:21 PM
Wratts posted...
Dark Souls is a game full of hostility; Lordran is out to rip you a new one and so are plenty of players. Unless you invited someone with the red soapstone, you shouldn't be expecting a fair fight. Even then you should be careful. So I never bow to begin a PvP fight, because you never know what kind of person to expect. Sometimes someone bows in the middle of me rushing in to attack when I invade them solo, or takes some CHSM in the face I had already set up beforehand. I usually let them heal up while I bow back then though. Most of the time I just bow AFTER the fight if I win and want to show some respect.

Yeah I agree with most of this.

I always try to bow if I'm not forest invading, but I never bow within range of attack. I'd rather not bow than give someone a free hit. Forest invasions there is no delay or mercy, as none would be shown to me they could find two phantoms to summon. Even people who bow in the forest tend to heal. F*** em.

I also nail people with HCSM when I run up and they go for a late ill-timed bow. This is usually because they run up way too close to me before they bow (like halfway across the burg platform). Hopefully they learn their lesson, but I always retreat and turn around to show I'm letting them heal. Mostly, they will not start frantically attacking me.
---