Demon's Souls NPC's vs Dark Souls NPC's

#61SolidKnightPosted 11/9/2012 7:29:38 PM
PHoToS999 posted...
Don't forget the monumental and the candle maiden.

They don't attack.

And I think those three would be enough to take on what was left of the dark souls npcs. Am I right?

No. Garl Vinland's only challenge was the environment. Scirvir is only challenging if you spend too much time not attacking; he still falls victim to stunlocking and doesn't have enough HP to survive two combos. Old King is strong but isn't any harder than any other NPC. The only thing that makes him dangerous is that you can't run up to him and combo him to death like every other Demon's Souls NPC.
#62shadowsofdawnPosted 11/9/2012 7:30:37 PM
Here's a test: take a SL1 royal in DS, don't level up or upgrade any equipment and go fight the 6 BP NPCs and Doran.

Then take a SL1 pyro in DkS, don't level up or upgrade gear and go fight all of the NPCs in the game.

Do both without without any cheese tactics or running away, and lets see which one is more difficult.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#63Titanite-DemonPosted 11/9/2012 7:38:20 PM
The moonlight knight posted...
I don't think it's fair or sensical to count Gough. I think NPCs should be meant to be equivalent to player characters. The only character who kinda messes that up is Chester, since he functions like a hybrid.

Nothing's fair in life or DkS.

He's an NPC, isn't he?
We can interact and talk with him, right?

So he's an NPC.

Also,
Crystal Knight
Domnhall
Siegmeyer
Sieglinde
/EVERLASTING DRAGON/ lol
Undead Burg Merchant Male
^Female
Oscar of Astora
Lady of the Darkling
Berenike Dude
Balder Dude
---
"bcuz i care" ~Nami "Migum" Gumere
#64The moonlight knightPosted 11/9/2012 7:40:42 PM
You're not understanding the difference between Demon's Souls NPC difficulty vs. the player, and how they'd fair against other NPCs. As I already said, to face the BP NPCs, you need to be in PBWT, which gives them a bunch of boosts vs. you, inflating how powerful they actually are. This is not an advantage they'd have vs. Dark Souls NPCs.

You should consider adjusting your perception of their power to be more between how they are in body form in PWWT and how they are in BP form in PBWT.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#65The moonlight knightPosted 11/9/2012 7:41:43 PM
I'm pretty sure in this case NPC is used to refer to characters who behave as the player does. So, crystal knight would count, yes, but not undead burg merchants.
---
#66shadowsofdawnPosted 11/9/2012 8:37:38 PM
BP NPCs are not just regular NPCs with a different color who get boosted by the world tendency. Similar to BP enemies, they have more defense, more health, and hit harder with or without the world tendency boost.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#67The moonlight knightPosted 11/9/2012 8:43:09 PM
I know, but they also, as we experience them, get a crazy boost from the "homefield advantage" let's say.

So, our experiences aren't accurate of their actual power. It's exaggerated by the world tendency. In fact, IIRC, black phantom enemies in particular get the biggest boost from PBWT, or so I recall reading.

The closest comparison we'd have to go off of in Dark Souls is a channeler-buffed NPC, which...there's not really much opportunity for in normal gameplay.
---
#68SolidKnightPosted 11/9/2012 9:28:12 PM
The moonlight knight posted...
I know, but they also, as we experience them, get a crazy boost from the "homefield advantage" let's say.

So, our experiences aren't accurate of their actual power. It's exaggerated by the world tendency. In fact, IIRC, black phantom enemies in particular get the biggest boost from PBWT, or so I recall reading.

The closest comparison we'd have to go off of in Dark Souls is a channeler-buffed NPC, which...there's not really much opportunity for in normal gameplay.

You're overthinking this. All you'd have to do is subtract the offense bonus provided by PBWT.
#69The moonlight knightPosted 11/9/2012 9:29:07 PM
You don't know the specifics of the bonuses afforded to black phantoms in PBWT.
---
#70D_D_TinkPosted 11/9/2012 9:35:05 PM
3 words.

OLD. KING. DORAN.
---
"The guns are balanced enough that no single one will make you better. You just have to suck less to be better."- SupahSkull