This game really isn't that hard.

#1Mal_FetPosted 11/10/2012 10:51:08 PM(edited)
I mean, yes, it's easy to get killed if you make mistakes or aren't careful, but as far as difficulty goes, a lot of it comes from how harshly you get penalized for dying.

Of course, dying should have a penalty in games. How its handled here though is a bit manipulative; it's not made hard because you lose all your souls and humanity when you die, it's made tedious. For any of you familiar with Simon's Quest, it's exactly like how you would lose all your hearts when you lose all your lives. This kind of mechanic exists only to prolong the game by making backtracking and grinding practically a necessity, not to create a tougher challenge. Getting souls and humanity isn't hard, it's time-consuming.

I'm willing to bet most bosses would be cake if the player had the ability to start back up right before them. And while even then they wouldn't be easy, this game probably wouldn't be considered as hard as its reputation presents it if it weren't for the hallowing mechanic.

Just my two cents.
---
Controversy is only dreaded by the advocates of error.
#2SaintZetsuPosted 11/10/2012 10:51:49 PM
"If this game wasn't what it is, it wouldn't be hard."
---
"When your wallet is ashes, then you will have my permission to die."-Tetsuya Nomura
#3Mal_Fet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 10:53:03 PM
"If this game wasn't what it is, it wouldn't be hard."

I think there's a bit more to the game than just the hallowing mechanic...
---
#4anothrgamer1234Posted 11/10/2012 10:54:57 PM
3/10 nice try
---
3DS FC: 0989-1800-4373
#5pinkshredderPosted 11/10/2012 11:03:35 PM(edited)
I think most of the difficulty comes from:
1. Not knowing your enemies/environment
2. Not sure how to build your character(misuse of attribute points early on)
3. Not able to parry/back stab effectively

Once you figure those things out, your pretty much set. Dark Souls is difficult at times, but once you become more familiar with the game, how it works, and what to expect, your goal should be to cut mistakes down to a minimum.

But even with that said, the game can be as difficult as you want it to be. If the game is too hard, take some time to level up your character/armor/weapons. If the game is too easy, take some armor off, try beating with an unleveled character.
---
PSN : metalgod88
#6Dex_PyromaniacPosted 11/10/2012 11:11:00 PM
pinkshredder posted...
I think most of the difficulty comes from:
1. Not knowing your enemies/environment
2. Not sure how to build your character(misuse of attribute points early on)
3. Not able to parry/back stab effectively

Once you figure those things out, your pretty much set. Dark Souls is difficult at times, but once you become more familiar with the game, how it works, and what to expect, your goal should be to cut mistakes down to a minimum.

But even with that said, the game can be as difficult as you want it to be. If the game is too hard, take some time to level up your character/armor/weapons. If the game is too easy, take some armor off, try beating with an unleveled character.

this
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dexpyro <===== Dark Souls stuff
#7Mal_Fet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 11:22:40 PM

Not saying I don't agree with the rest of your post, but this is not an excuse. Any game can be hard if you handicap yourself enough.
---
#8Cvdf3Posted 11/10/2012 11:32:35 PM
No the game isn't as hard as it's reputation makes it out to be. Granted, the game itself never claimed to be hard, the public gave the game the reputation it has.
Though I would say "Prepare to Die" fits the game well. It doesn't mean it's super hard, rather you should literally be prepared to lose, and learn from your death if you do. The game is really about preparation.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
PSN ~ TFone6
#9Drop_Dead-WUPosted 11/10/2012 11:54:17 PM
so OP what would have to be different about dark souls for you to consider it hard?

just wondering what different people's definiton of a hard game is
#10Fo_lc_usPosted 11/10/2012 11:57:10 PM
I handed the controller to my brother. I didn't explain what souls or humanity are, I just said they were a leaderboard thing.

He didn't retrieve one bloodstain.

Still hard.
---
GT: remShotz
Speakeasy member.