This game really isn't that hard.

#11Titanite-DemonPosted 11/11/2012 12:00:07 AM
Play and finish the game with a base level sorcerer, naked, while using Havel's Greatshield and a Smough's Hammer.

With a DKGA in your left hand back up and Dragon GS in your right back up.

No rings.
---
"bcuz i care" ~Nami "Migum" Gumere
#12Mal_Fet(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 12:34:18 AM(edited)
so OP what would have to be different about dark souls for you to consider it hard?

just wondering what different people's definiton of a hard game is

Tougher enemies? More in-depth combat?

I'm not saying the game isn't challenging. Some of it is. But I get the impression most of the "difficulty" comes from the tediousness the hallowing system causes.

I handed the controller to my brother. I didn't explain what souls or humanity are, I just said they were a leaderboard thing.

He didn't retrieve one bloodstain.

Still hard.

No, but I bet he had to spend a lot more time amassing souls and humanity. Again, tediousness =/= hard.

Play and finish the game with a base level sorcerer, naked, while using Havel's Greatshield and a Smough's Hammer.

With a DKGA in your left hand back up and Dragon GS in your right back up.

No rings.

I could play Final Fantasy 1 with four white mages. Does that make Final Fantasy 1 a hard game?
---
Controversy is only dreaded by the advocates of error.
#13midsizelebowskiPosted 11/11/2012 12:44:47 AM
This game isn't hard, it's just unforgiving. There's a huge difference. The "very hard" mode of games like God of War, Halo, Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden, etc. are hard. If this game was as hard as those and had its unforgiving death system, it wouldn't be much fun to play.

From struck a good balance in difficulty and created a unique, suspenseful atmosphere.
#14AlbinoCrocodilePosted 11/11/2012 12:49:11 AM
There will never be a 'hard' game, just opinion. One guy could find this or that hard and the other could find it the easiest thing in existence.
---
Miss Albino at your service.
Nostalgia is never a good excuse/argument for anything.
#15skytrotPosted 11/11/2012 12:57:08 AM
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
There will never be a 'hard' game, just opinion. One guy could find this or that hard and the other could find it the easiest thing in existence.

QFT None and i mean none of my friends even want to continue playing the Souls games because they find it hard. Difficulty is subjective and I'd wager that while most of us here find it alright, most people find it freakishly difficulty.
#16PHoToS999Posted 11/11/2012 1:10:03 AM
Cvdf3 posted...
No the game isn't as hard as it's reputation makes it out to be. Granted, the game itself never claimed to be hard, the public gave the game the reputation it has.
Though I would say "Prepare to Die" fits the game well. It doesn't mean it's super hard, rather you should literally be prepared to lose, and learn from your death if you do. The game is really about preparation.

I would agree.
---
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
Please sign this petition if you want the bbox glitch in Dark Souls: http://tinyurl.com/9f9gv8y you are our only hope.
#17MelvinX93Posted 11/11/2012 1:30:13 AM
pinkshredder posted...
I think most of the difficulty comes from:
1. Not knowing your enemies/environment
2. Not sure how to build your character(misuse of attribute points early on)
3. Not able to parry/back stab effectively

Once you figure those things out, your pretty much set. Dark Souls is difficult at times, but once you become more familiar with the game, how it works, and what to expect, your goal should be to cut mistakes down to a minimum.

But even with that said, the game can be as difficult as you want it to be. If the game is too hard, take some time to level up your character/armor/weapons. If the game is too easy, take some armor off, try beating with an unleveled character.

Yeah, I just took about a 2 month break. I'm 5 trophies away from the plat (big achievement iv'e sunken around 140 hours lol) And.... I don't know what to do XD
I have forgotten mostly all the stuff and even worse im in NG+ so mistakes are even more deadlier.
But as long as you don't rush you will live. Patience is the motto of this game, Just like Ninja Gaiden on the NES XD
---
PSN: MxWhiteKnight
#18WrattsPosted 11/11/2012 1:43:07 AM(edited)
Mal_Fet posted...
I mean, yes, it's easy to get killed if you make mistakes or aren't careful, but as far as difficulty goes, a lot of it comes from how harshly you get penalized for dying.

Of course, dying should have a penalty in games. How its handled here though is a bit manipulative; it's not made hard because you lose all your souls and humanity when you die, it's made tedious. For any of you familiar with Simon's Quest, it's exactly like how you would lose all your hearts when you lose all your lives. This kind of mechanic exists only to prolong the game by making backtracking and grinding practically a necessity, not to create a tougher challenge. Getting souls and humanity isn't hard, it's time-consuming.

I'm willing to bet most bosses would be cake if the player had the ability to start back up right before them. And while even then they wouldn't be easy, this game probably wouldn't be considered as hard as its reputation presents it if it weren't for the hallowing mechanic.

Grinding is not a necessity in this game. If you grind, you automatically make it easier. You can pretty much start straight up before a boss—there's usually a shortcut or some path with only a couple of enemies you can simply run past and get back to the boss room/area in no time. And the hollowing mechanic alters the difficulty in a weird way: by allowing you to summon players and making the game easier, and at the same time opening you up to invaders who make the game harder. If you get both invaders and summons at the same time, it might balance itself out. Dropping Humanity and Souls when you die is only a incentive: it's telling you to play smarter, and not get yourself killed. But it's not that big of a loss, because you can get through the game without huge masses of either.

Funny you should mention Simon's Quest, as the old Castlevania games always help me explain where the difficulty in Dark Souls comes from. They're kind of similar in this respect. I re-play the old CV games once a year, roughly. When I play them and someone watches me, they think it's easy, but when they play they find out the games are frustratingly hard for them. They're not used to good old punishing NES difficulty. However, the punishing difficulty in NES games comes from this: you can be as fast and reactive as you are and think that works for all video games, but, say, Castlevania is not a twitch game. It's a memorization game. If you've memorized every enemy placement, every item placement, every pattern, every moment, you can make your way through without dying once and in a record time at that and do so in a casual-looking fashion.

Dark Souls is similar in the sense that the difficulty comes from not knowing the game. The more you play it and are familiar with everything, the less daunting it all seems. It is not a twitch game, you don't need lightning reflexes and you can't mash buttons. But you can end up memorizing everything, every movement, every pattern, every placement, and then when you play the game, you can make it look really easy. Dark Souls is easier than that, though, for a couple of reasons. For one, you can die as often as you want. There is no limit to the amount of times you're allowed to die that either makes you start all over again or wipes out your high score (and essentially does the same). There are no time limits; you can take your time to complete things by chipping away at an enemy's health or ekeing slowly around every dangerous spot and taking it as safely as possible. Finally, the controls and gameplay are much more fluid than an old game, and a lot more mistakes are forgiven before the game kills you. Leveling up and improving your equipment enables even more space in which the game forgives your mistakes.

tl;dr,
I agree with your premise (the difficulty of Dark Souls is overhyped) but your arguments are deeply flawed.
#19Cvdf3Posted 11/11/2012 1:47:50 AM(edited)
Just read "makes grinding a necessity"... no.
To just beat the game? Not at all.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
PSN ~ TFone6
#20LodissPosted 11/11/2012 1:47:23 AM
Mal_Fet posted...
I could play Final Fantasy 1 with four white mages. Does that make Final Fantasy 1 a hard game?

Final Fantasy 1 was a hard game. On NES, with no internet or Nintendo Power guide.

Or do you expect anyone to believe that you found the airship buried in the desert by yourself?
---
You were indicted.