Pharis Black bow or the Composite bow?

#1UrbanRunnaPosted 11/12/2012 5:22:06 AM
i hear people say that the Composite is better.. though i like the Black bow more.. the Black Bow of Pharis's got S dex scaling you know..
---
Samurai Mitsuhide Akechi.
#2brumeyPosted 11/12/2012 5:30:09 AM
for PvE pharis is nice

for PvP comp bow, cuz it shoots faster! ya know
#3UrbanRunna(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 5:35:25 AM
brumey posted...
for PvE pharis is nice

for PvP comp bow, cuz it shoots faster! ya know

aha.. well thanks.. bu the way.. what language is the word "Pharis" taken from? in arabic it means Knight. so is it actually taken from arabic?
---
#4DbHKPosted 11/12/2012 10:46:22 AM
I always go composite.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#5Fo_lc_usPosted 11/12/2012 10:54:51 AM
Composite shoots faster. Pharis flies farther.

Pharis better for mob pulls, but good luck trying to snipe someone when they are rolling at you.

As for stat investment, at lowest STR (9) and 40 DEX, BBoP beats Composite by 30 or so. Depending on arrow type they break even at around 16 STR or 20 STR. If you are going for a quality build, the Composite deals better damage.

Not that is really matters in the long run, they are both perfectly useable. Not going to see 800 damage from these 2 without modifiers.
---
GT: remShotz
Speakeasy member.
#6The moonlight knightPosted 11/12/2012 11:36:09 AM
You shouldn't take the S scaling it has too seriously. In fact in general, don't take S and A rank scaling too seriously. A weapon's base damage is a large factor in how well it scales, too.

However, specifically in regards to this weapon comparison, using this site can be very helpful: http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/weapons

The reason being it has EXACT scaling values for all pre-DLC weapons. Instead of just a vague letter grade.

So, let's compare.

Black Bow +15 has E(18)/S(198) scaling. Those numbers are the exact scaling values. In total, that leaves it with 216 scaling value. It has 85 base damage.

Vs.

Composite Bow +15 has C(72)/C(72) scaling, for a total of 144. A base damage of 137.

While its scaling value is lower, its base damage is much, much higher. High enough that a composite bow actually will be stronger than a Black Bow of Pharis. Well, depending on your stats, of course. So, scaling alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Black Bow has better range, but is also slower to fire. The range difference between Black Bow with heavy arrows, and Composite with feather arrows, also didn't appear too great in Black Bow's favor from my brief experimentation, either.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#7UrbanRunna(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 2:38:39 PM(edited)
The moonlight knight posted...
You shouldn't take the S scaling it has too seriously. In fact in general, don't take S and A rank scaling too seriously. A weapon's base damage is a large factor in how well it scales, too.

However, specifically in regards to this weapon comparison, using this site can be very helpful: http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/weapons

The reason being it has EXACT scaling values for all pre-DLC weapons. Instead of just a vague letter grade.

So, let's compare.

Black Bow +15 has E(18)/S(198) scaling. Those numbers are the exact scaling values. In total, that leaves it with 216 scaling value. It has 85 base damage.

Vs.

Composite Bow +15 has C(72)/C(72) scaling, for a total of 144. A base damage of 137.

While its scaling value is lower, its base damage is much, much higher. High enough that a composite bow actually will be stronger than a Black Bow of Pharis. Well, depending on your stats, of course. So, scaling alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Black Bow has better range, but is also slower to fire. The range difference between Black Bow with heavy arrows, and Composite with feather arrows, also didn't appear too great in Black Bow's favor from my brief experimentation, either.

then maybe i should go with the composite bow... but actually i prefer far range to raw damage.. i think a BBoP +15 would do great especially with 45 dex for sniping enemies and pulling them from afar.. thanks guys.. but ill go with BBoP
---
#8The moonlight knightPosted 11/12/2012 2:38:57 PM
Yeah, if you want sniping, Black Bow is best. Or, well, maybe the greatbows are technically best, but they're...awkward.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#9UrbanRunna(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 2:40:58 PM
The moonlight knight posted...
Yeah, if you want sniping, Black Bow is best. Or, well, maybe the greatbows are technically best, but they're...awkward.

i dont feel the heart to carry a greatbow... as u said.. awkward.. besides they're too damn heavy.. greatbow weighs 10?? please the BBoP weighs only 1.0 !
---