Master Key opinion

#1Blondie425Posted 11/26/2012 7:55:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, are the majority of serious Dark Souls players on these boards for or against someone on their very first playthrough picking the Master Key as a starting gift, taking everything into consideration?
---
GT: AlexTheNextOne
#2d3dsightPosted 11/26/2012 7:59:18 AM
I wouldn't recommend it the first time if you're doing a blind playthru, and care more about "experiencing" the game rather than "beating" it. The game's intended (loose) direction of where to go is done very well, and the master key can interfere with it.

It's not that important either way, but I think I would've been better off not using it the first time.
#3Power TurtlePosted 11/26/2012 8:07:59 AM
The only major thing the master key does is the shortcut to blighttown beneath Firelink shrine. Everything else, and there arent yo many others, are rather irrelevant. I say go for it tc, it doesnt help too much and all the other gifts suck.

I only reccommend that you go to blighttown the 'normal' way,through The Depths, which by that time you will have the ability to buy the master key anyway.. Anyway, take the 'normal' way to blighttown because it has some pretty nice weapons armor and souls.. but i gotta warn you..

It'll be suicide.. Hehhehehe
#4GodsPoisonPosted 11/26/2012 8:19:54 AM
First time players should stay away from the Master Key, it will deffinetly lead them into areas not meant for their low level and skill. Havel the Rock has been known to smash some arrogant Sunbros when i play new characters lol.
#5Power TurtlePosted 11/26/2012 8:22:39 AM
^even then, you'd just run into havel an hour later making your way through Darkroot. But that is a good point for the very start of the game.
#6Edwin LimPosted 11/26/2012 8:23:44 AM
Just pick the Master Key seriously. (The only thing worth picking from the list) Anything else From gives you is just their way of trolling. And the other guys on the boards are trolling you as well.
---
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg
#7Edwin LimPosted 11/26/2012 8:32:20 AM
Oh and since were on the topic on starting gifts, the Binoculous is like the worst starting gift ever. You get one for free very early on in one of the levels. Add to the fact that there is nothing to look at that early on, unless you want to use it to stare at Asylum Demon big buttocks lol.
---
Driving a PC racer with the keyboard is about as effective as typing an e-mail with your car's steering wheel. ~ Brian Ekberg
#8RENNELSPosted 11/26/2012 8:40:43 AM
Witches Ring.

Gives some interesting dialogue and you'll probably never take it in subsequent play throughs.

Not taking the master key sort of gives you the 'intended' route of the game without confusing you too much or causing you to get lost.
---
Posts in a topic do not have to be on topic if it goes with the natural flow of conversation.- Baseman (Moderator)
#9mgillgannonPosted 11/26/2012 10:54:41 AM
>>all the other gifts suck. <<

That's a pretty good point. The other gifts are useless or close to useless, so the master key is all the more tempting.
---
When people say "The fact is..." they mean "My opinion is..."
#10ZephranthesPosted 11/26/2012 10:58:25 AM
Witch's Ring just so you have one. Master Key has no use to a new player and will cause them extra deaths if anything, maybe even lost at the bottom of blight town (easier to get in than it is to get out.)

Starting gift is pretty pointless in general but you can always take the black firebombs and mess up that first Asylum Demon for his hammer.