DLC hurt the game

#61hemphoarder(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 1:08:37 PM
If you have the time necessary to create new builds on your every whim then good for you. I do not and there are many like me. I started playing this game not long after the BB glitch was discovered and already had 3 characters to 120. I know it doesn't take that long to create one but it takes longer than I and others are willing to dedicate time to.

They say third time is the charm so have one more look see and get back with me. Emoticons do not help your point come across better FYI. This is a public service announcement for everyone btw.
---
I couldn't care less...
PSN:Sleepyydwarf
#62d3dsightPosted 11/30/2012 1:22:40 PM(edited)
They really need to find a better way to integrate PvP into the game. The same-character-for-everything approach is inventive and cool, but it obviously doesn't cater well enough to the PvP fanbase. Maybe be able to create PvP builds from scratch stat-wise, and have them all able to access your PvE character's gear? And have them level up thru PvP only? If I sound like an idiot, it's because I'm really not into PvP myself. I'm one of those people who likes to be rewarded in-game for my time...and, correct me if I'm wrong, you don't get anything tangible from PvP besides personal satisfaction.

Edit: And maybe have some gear be PvE only or PvP only. As it stands, EVERYTHING has to be balanced between both.
#63LivesPosted 11/30/2012 2:31:24 PM
d3dsight posted...
They really need to find a better way to integrate PvP into the game. The same-character-for-everything approach is inventive and cool, but it obviously doesn't cater well enough to the PvP fanbase. Maybe be able to create PvP builds from scratch stat-wise, and have them all able to access your PvE character's gear? And have them level up thru PvP only? If I sound like an idiot, it's because I'm really not into PvP myself. I'm one of those people who likes to be rewarded in-game for my time...and, correct me if I'm wrong, you don't get anything tangible from PvP besides personal satisfaction.

Edit: And maybe have some gear be PvE only or PvP only. As it stands, EVERYTHING has to be balanced between both.

This is on the right path. I think partially what you are trying to say is... maybe someone related to the rude OP's first post.

The thing is, they tried an interesting system with the covenants, and they do take time to join and level your rank in them and whatnot. The problem is that some are quite complicated, and some people may not even find some of them.

The 2 Souls games released have things that are... different from most games. They are unique in that they don't require your hand, and don't necessarily tell you every detail about the game. It's not that it's a bad or a good thing, it's just different, and some people will gravitate towards one or the other style. The marketing and strategy for this game is very interesting.... all I know is that it has resulted in one of the more interesting and passionate gaming communities for any game I've ever played. I would say that is achieving something.

I think if anyone was hoping they could magically change the game to make it more interesting by adding a DLC pack... I wouldn't be surprised if they were upset. You can't change a core aspect of a game... that's why sequels are made. This game offers waaaay more replay value than most other games, and still, people are complaining that it gets boring. It's a game, it will get boring sooner or later lol. Yeah, you may not have the time to keep creating new characters, and I'm not saying I have more time than anyone else... in fact.. In fact, everyone has the same amount of time. ;) I find that I can spend a few hours and start a new character, and then continue another day. Kind of like any other game. Where most people "lose" time, if they are a person who plays a lot of games, is when they spend more time in other games than in this game. Just the thought that people say they put 200 hours into a game, and then say they are disappointed with DLC or the game itself... is ridiculous. Clearly you enjoyed it enough for 200 hours, so stop whining about it. Your value you got from one piece of entertainment is excellent. Compared to other forms of entertainment.. like going to the movie theater, a game like this offers excellent value.

No need to say that the DLC sucked and hurt the game. It in no way did. In fact, I'm pretty sure From and Namco-Bandai have already made a good amount of money from this game. I think they used this DLC with it's new PVP arena and certain items as a way to test for new systems in a new Souls game, but we will see. Your feedback now is what will help develop the next game, but saying the DLC hurt the game, when that's flatout impossible, helps no one. I quoted d3dsight because that post was a little more constructive, and creates good conversation. That's what this post should..have been all along.. unless....'tis was a troll... in which case, I'm more than happy to still be typing so that perhaps some other people will find a way to put forth new ideas to the developers and community in a constructive way.
#64u1tradtPosted 12/3/2012 3:54:15 PM
I don't understand what all the negativity towards TC is all about. I have to say I am thoroughly disappointed by the DLC. I was looking forward to it so much and was expecting it to breathe new life into a dying multiplayer element and greatly benefit the community of the game.

I bought it on day 1 and instead what I got was a 3 hour extension to the game. Don't get me wrong those 3 hours were amazing but overall I found myself thinking 'Is that it?' after defeating Manus.

But honestly speaking I sort of prepared myself for a short extension to the game. What I placed all my hope on was the Arena/Battle of Stoicism. When they announced details of an arena being included in the DLC I was thinking that the community will finally have a nice and streamlined multiplayer system where we can all come together in one place and fight to our heart's content.

Rather than switching between the forest, Anor Londo, the Burg, Depths and the Kiln to find the place with the most activity, we could have had a place where we could all meet for one purpose only and just go crazy. But the Arena in its current form is completely pathetic.

First and foremost I just can't get any battles. Out of possibly dozens of attempts I've connected to around 6 or 7 people and all of those have been in the 1v1 modes. That's unforgivable. FROM should have learnt from the network issues by now.

But even disregarding the connection issues, the battle format is just silly. I could go on all day about it but my general gripe is that it rewards a playing style of pragmatism more than any other. In other words, if a player is up on the kills score they can easily run down the clock while turtling and force you to chase them and leave yourself open to careless mistakes.

Now, I don't mind my opponent being cautious when they're up. But when they just stop fighting and roll away as soon as I come close then I can't help but think 'What's the point?'

I would have much preferred a straight fight to the death where the player to die first is the loser and the other guy is the winner. How much more fun and rewarding would that be? Not to mention you'd be forced to go all out in that scenario.

I really want to try a Deathmatch or 2v2 but haven't managed to connect to a single match yet which is such a shame as those 2 seem much more fun than the 1v1 mode.

I truly relished every second of the added story of the DLC but I was severely let down by the Arena. And as others have pointed out the loss of the BB glitch means there's even less incentive to carry on playing nowadays for me.

How long can one continue to invade others and maintain a feeling of reward/accomplishment, when you realise that most of the people you invade are strictly either noobs or focused on getting to the boss only? We needed an official designated fighting place/mode and what we got instead was the equivalent of a cat spitting out a hairball, if that makes sense.

I never thought this day would come before the next 'Souls' game, but at this point I feel no incentive to go play Dark Souls at all. You could argue that I'm burnt out but when you consider that I was still playing regularly up until the DLC you'd think there was a lot more to it.

It was an amazing experience (and I use that word selectively) and Dark Souls is the best game I have ever had the honour of playing with the best fighting system in any game in my opinion. I will always cherish the memories from the game but in the end it has nothing more to offer me, which is a shame when you consider the longevity other games with multiplayer modes - which aren't as unique and don't have the potential of Dark Souls' multiplayer it must be said - offer these days.
#65BombayNugzPosted 12/3/2012 3:57:10 PM
SymphonicRain posted...
Well, other than the fact that a year on, it's pretty much bound to begin a slow decline. But what do you base it off other than the fact that you personally have had enough?

DeS ran hard for 4 years straight.
---
Go Big Red 10-2 bruh
PSN: BOMBAYNUGZ420