Headgear opinions

#1SamatagPosted 12/4/2012 6:06:25 AM
Family masks, dusk crown, crown of the dark sun.

Could people list which of these they look down upon when they encounter them in pvp? There seems to be a lot of hate for family masks, so I was wondering people's opinions on the other two.

Thanks =]
#2DbHKPosted 12/4/2012 6:17:14 AM
I wear the Crown of Dusk when I want to shoot stuff out of my long pointy thingy and have it make a lasting impact.
---
PSN: HBFTK
#3cgwhite85Posted 12/4/2012 8:53:22 AM
I dont mind any of them. Family masks LOOK stupid, I doubt anyone disagrees. I think that those looks are where much of the hate comes from. When an individual is willing to look ridiculous for what is now a very minor increase in power, others see that person as someone willing to do anything to win no matter how great or small. Some interpret that as a lack of sportsmanship on the part of the mask wearer I suppose.
#4Snipa_Wulf12Posted 12/4/2012 9:17:20 AM
The braces.
---
PSN:Snipa_Wulf
Smoke Meth, Hail Satan!
#5sexyj1Posted 12/4/2012 9:28:43 AM
cgwhite85 posted...
Family masks LOOK stupid, I doubt anyone disagrees.

I disagree. I love to Sunbro for people with dadface on bosses with cutscenes, because they go walking up to the boss with this hilarious startled Mr. Bill expression. And first time I saw somebody with MoM, back when the game was a month old or something, I thought they were some total pro who had either discovered some sort of joke headgear that looked like a cartoon Asian man, or spent a whole lot of time messing with sliders in character creation. They still make me laugh.

Child mask is pretty lame though.
#6cgwhite85Posted 12/4/2012 10:50:42 AM
sexyj1 posted...
cgwhite85 posted...
Family masks LOOK stupid, I doubt anyone disagrees.

I disagree. I love to Sunbro for people with dadface on bosses with cutscenes, because they go walking up to the boss with this hilarious startled Mr. Bill expression. And first time I saw somebody with MoM, back when the game was a month old or something, I thought they were some total pro who had either discovered some sort of joke headgear that looked like a cartoon Asian man, or spent a whole lot of time messing with sliders in character creation. They still make me laugh.

Child mask is pretty lame though.

Both examples you just gave indicate that you think the masks are funny or silly looking (you said both "hilarious expression" and "joke headgear" about father and mother. This joke aspect is directly at odds with the overall mood of the game which is not remotely humorous. Would it be fair to say at least that family masks look silly/humorous and or stupid?
#7nmbuserPosted 12/4/2012 10:59:04 AM
cgwhite85 posted...
I dont mind any of them. Family masks LOOK stupid, I doubt anyone disagrees. I think that those looks are where much of the hate comes from. When an individual is willing to look ridiculous for what is now a very minor increase in power, others see that person as someone willing to do anything to win no matter how great or small. Some interpret that as a lack of sportsmanship on the part of the mask wearer I suppose.

funny you say that, because I've never seen a family mask user spam Divine Blessings, Mod their HP/stamina/armor.

Unless you are going for 1 hit magic kills, mask of the mother is simply the best way to make a competitive build. But I guess I'm a scrub for not using buffed katanas.
---
Gamertag: NUM83R54R3C00L (those are zero's)
#8Scorex_VIIPosted 12/4/2012 11:36:26 AM
There is nothing wrong with the crowns, but the family masks...When i see someone using one cant help but think he is a tryhard. This is just my opinnion, cant help it lol. As the other poster said, if you are willing to look that hideous/silly for a small increase in "power"...
---
Growing on you, right?
[PSK] Poder Lusitano!
#9HoratioCrawPosted 12/4/2012 1:07:20 PM
tbh crown of the dark sun looks badass
---
hey coffee still rules ^-^
http://www.last.fm/user/ThomasCraw
#10cgwhite85Posted 12/4/2012 1:12:41 PM
nmbuser posted...

funny you say that, because I've never seen a family mask user spam Divine Blessings, Mod their HP/stamina/armor.

Unless you are going for 1 hit magic kills, mask of the mother is simply the best way to make a competitive build. But I guess I'm a scrub for not using buffed katanas.

Infinite divine blessings would require the bottomless box exploit (which was patched), and modders would be using cheats. I assumed from the context it was obvious that I meant perhaps the mentality of a mask user is such that: within the confines of the game, they will do any minor thing to get a slight advantage, even if that means wearing something they, and most everyone else, think looks silly. You seem to confirm this by saying that the extra HP from mother mask (which after the patch is minimal) is the "best way to make a competitive build". When the actuality is that mask of the mother typically only makes a difference in rare scenarios.

Your preoccupation with things being "competitive" seems to prove my point. You don't care how stupid the mask looks, or how minor its benefits are. As long as your perception is that gives you an advantage or "makes you competitive" as you put it, you intend to wear that gear.

The TC asked why some people might look down on certain headgear like masks and I gave one possibility. That possibility is confirmed by your post. At least some people, you for example, wear family headgear solely with a min/maxing/doing anything to win mindset.

Some people see the mask and think "all this person cares about is min/maxing, this fight probably won't be fun. If they are willing to do that for the spirit of competition what else might they do?" Most people DO seem to think the masks look stupid, even in this thread the one person who liked their appearance said they were comical. With that in mind most people don't want to use them because most people don't want to look silly (naturally some do). When someones desire to min/max overrides their desire to not look goofy, others may perceive that particular individual as a person willing to go to any length for even the slightest advantage, hence this community distaste for masks.

Its also worth pointing out that many within the community are used to seeing family masks on twinked invaders. Even more so before the patch, masks were popular on low SL builds. An early experience of getting ganked by a twinked mask user could sour a person towards that equipment, they may begin to see its use as synonymous with douche-bags.

Make sure to take note I never said there was anything wrong with this behavior. If you read my initial post you will see I don't care if someone wants to utilize any gear within the game.

If we are using anecdotal evidence, which you seem to be doing, I have seen large volumes of people spam divine blessings many of them participate in this activity while wearing masks. I have seen plenty of maskers wog spam, and forest gank (2v1 and 3v1) as well. However personal experience really does not mean anything here since that does not strongly relate to what the TC asked.

I have no idea what you are going on about katanas for. That line of thought seems tangential at best. Are you for some reason trying to say that katanas with a buff are the best weapons in the game? and that any mask wearer would also know this and all mask users would naturally be seen with only katanas? I'm really not sure why you put the sentence involving katanas in your post at all.