Serious question on Grief

#1cwalasPosted 12/5/2012 9:16:04 AM
What exactly is it? I just saw some Youtube videos on it and wanted some clarification. So, people do a low level run, lets say SL 1, complete the game and upgrade all there equipment. Then go back to low level areas like the Burg to invade people on their first playthrough? I mean if that's what it is, that sounds pretty lame, but completely within the rules of the game. I just dont see the fun in it...
#2SymphonicRainPosted 12/5/2012 9:25:06 AM
Well, griefing is just that, playing in such a way that causes someone else grief. The most popular way is having a character that you made via the bottomless box glitch before it got patched, so it's not really that you had the skill to go through the game at level 1, but unfairly obtained all the gear ready to go mess with potential new players.

Other ways include having 2 phantoms and not actually playing through the level but simply waiting to ambush whoever is unfortunate enough to invade their game, waiting in areas with narrow walkways and knocking people off ledges etc.
---
"invade some poor sap and jihad bomb him" - LazyKenny
#3SolidKnightPosted 12/5/2012 9:29:31 AM
Grief is what you experience when your character dies and you don't have the mentality to roll with it.
#4Cvdf3Posted 12/5/2012 9:30:52 AM
SolidKnight posted...
Grief is what you experience when your character dies and you don't have the mentality to roll with it.

or the equipment burden
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#5RobbeezPosted 12/5/2012 9:32:10 AM
SymphonicRain posted...
Well, griefing is just that, playing in such a way that causes someone else grief. The most popular way is having a character that you made via the bottomless box glitch before it got patched, so it's not really that you had the skill to go through the game at level 1, but unfairly obtained all the gear ready to go mess with potential new players.

Other ways include having 2 phantoms and not actually playing through the level but simply waiting to ambush whoever is unfortunate enough to invade their game, waiting in areas with narrow walkways and knocking people off ledges etc.

Other ways also include LEGITIMATELY going through the game at low level.
#6cwalas(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:24:29 AM
Okay. That is what I figured. All those ways seem legit to me except using the BB Glitch
#7R1masherPosted 12/5/2012 10:29:14 AM
This game has an invasion mechanic... It's made to cause "grief" to others.
---
R1R1R1R1R1R1
#8RENNELSPosted 12/5/2012 10:37:49 AM
cwalas posted...
Okay. That is what I figured. All those ways seem legit to me except using the BB Glitch

Be it 'legit' or using the bank glitch, the end result is still the same. People will blame the glitch 100 percent of the time because they think that there's no possible way anyone can be better at something than they are, and there just has to be a cheat-reason behind it.

Piece of advice for you, you're better off going into this game with the assumption that nobody is going to do things the way you want them to. You'll feel a lot better about it if you do.
---
Posts in a topic do not have to be on topic if it goes with the natural flow of conversation.- Baseman (Moderator)
#9PHoToS999Posted 12/5/2012 10:58:48 AM
RENNELS posted...
cwalas posted...

Be it 'legit' or using the bank glitch, the end result is still the same. People will blame the glitch 100 percent of the time because they think that there's no possible way anyone can be better at something than they are, and there just has to be a cheat-reason behind it.

Piece of advice for you, you're better off going into this game with the assumption that nobody is going to do things the way you want them to. You'll feel a lot better about it if you do.

Did you just use common sense?!

Oh whatever, I completely agree. This it's why I prefer just scraping spear and stormtroller griefing.
---
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
Please sign this petition if you want the bbox glitch in Dark Souls: http://tinyurl.com/9f9gv8y you are our only hope.
#10MosgusPosted 12/5/2012 12:07:37 PM
I know I still don't have all the exact gear I want on my SL1 (because I'm still figuring out what it is I want, actually) but I can tell you it damn sure wasn't the most difficult thing getting a lightning weapon to +5 still.

I don't care how good or how ass you are, you take a +5 lightning weapon to the burg at SL1 and you're gonna be one shotting people with a non-counter R2. :/

It doesn't take a glitch, faster though that may have been. It just takes a bit of time and the honorable spirit of a dirty butthole.

Personally, I've enjoyed the run itself without considering bringing this character into PVP.

I prefer honor duels anyhow. The only kind of ganking I do is in the forest and that, of course, is just for the souls.