"Dark Souls II will be more straightforward" says new director

#31nedrithPosted 12/8/2012 6:11:12 PM
Luminis88 posted...
What's so bad about the game telling you, say, how stats actually work instead of having to look for guides? What's bad about being told why a 520 AR elemental weapon is doing less damage than a 350 AR physical weapon? Or how many points in attunement are needed to get another attunement slot?

That's what I would consider "making the game more straightforward". None of these things are actually making the game hard. It just means you'll have to rely on Google for answers instead of a tutorial screen or the manual. Basically, I think it would be a good thing if the game told you by what rules you'll have to play. Doesn't mean that actually playing by these rules will be any easier, anyways.

IDK those of us who actually enjoy finding out how the game works rather than being told how it works. I actually enjoyed experimenting with different weapons to find the best. If you are going to rely on Google for all that stuff why not just google the boss strategies, I remember a few people saying the game was too easy because they did their homework on how to beat the bosses. Granted the game has had difficulty in it more than just knowing how to do the stuff but still.

It's actually one of the things that is wrong with the last 2 generation of consoles and the games that are on them. 90% of the time it feels like the game is holding your hand telling you everything you have to do. I was 60% of the way through the campaign of AC3 before I stopped playing and I can still remember a tutorial or hint coming on the screen every few minutes reminding how to play the already easy game.

I can say dark souls is more straightforward than demon souls and well I prefer demon souls better. the platforming and shortcuts and such were one of the things that made that game great.
#32juiceman4519Posted 12/8/2012 6:13:02 PM
Ugh, they did so much right with Dark Souls being open ended. I'd hate to see from software pull a Final Fantasy XIII.
---
"When life gives you lemons don't make lemonade, MAKE LIFE TAKE THOSE LEMONS BACK!!" - Cave Johnson, Portal 2
#33KoolAssAssassinPosted 12/8/2012 6:17:41 PM
I don't think the game being more linear is a game killer or anything, but the freedom you had in both Demons Souls and Dark Souls were plusses. Why take that away?
#34DregnautPosted 12/8/2012 6:18:16 PM
juiceman4519 posted...
Ugh, they did so much right with Dark Souls being open ended. I'd hate to see from software pull a Final Fantasy XIII.

Omg.... im about to have a stroke!!

New director?! Dark souls 2 as the name?!?!?! MORE LEINIER?!?!??! Ugh
---
^ + R2 = Epic Kill / ^ + R1 = "This IS SPARTA!"
#35ak1287Posted 12/8/2012 6:24:02 PM
Dregnaut posted...
juiceman4519 posted...

Omg.... im about to have a stroke!!

New director?! Dark souls 2 as the name?!?!?! MORE LEINIER?!?!??! Ugh

I'm all for you having a stroke, but maybe you should actually wait until you know more about the game than what you read on the GameFaqs boards. Considering none of these people actually have any concrete evidence.

That said, I still fully support your stroke.
#36ZephranthesPosted 12/8/2012 6:34:08 PM
ak1287 posted...
That said, I still fully support your stroke.
#37Zen_ZarabPosted 12/8/2012 6:40:08 PM
I assume the starter zone will just show a little more. Like using consumables. Conditions and their effects. As well as, Archery, Magic and advanced weapon combat.

I'm also guessing everyone will start with the same stats and equipment. It isn't until after the tutorial you tell a being what your profession was before the harrowing. Then be given better gear like armor as a knight or mage robes as a pyro.
---
http://tinyurl.com/cqbr3ld
http://tinyurl.com/8w2apgs
#38Kai_Laguna(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 7:10:43 PM
I'd be fine with a more in depth tutorial(preferably skippable), but as has already been pointed, "Straightforward" and "More accessible" is more often than not marketing speak for simplified gameplay and reduced challenge to try and appeal to a wider audience.
Maybe I've just become cynical over the years from developers constantly socking me in the kidneys.
I honestly hope it'll just be tutorials and more informative tooltips, but I'm not gonna hold my breath, and I'll probably wait till we see reviews instead of pre-ordering this time.
#39FredtheBumPosted 12/8/2012 7:17:38 PM
Mmmm does sound kind of concerning...but too early to tell....

Also what is that crap about him saying he wants it to rival Elder Scrolls? The Souls games are their own thing they have no need to rival the ES.

If it's not broken don't try and fix it!
---
Fred Fred Burger
#40Kai_Laguna(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 7:20:55 PM
what is that crap about him saying he wants it to rival Elder Scrolls?

Money