"Dark Souls II will be more straightforward" says new director

#41SolidKnightPosted 12/8/2012 8:22:40 PM
shoe7ess posted...
"...we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls."
Crap.

You know that sentence means that they want it to be a significant gaming phenomena, right?
#42KryIon_KidPosted 12/8/2012 8:23:44 PM
"I think the keyword in that blurb is The Elder Scrolls.

Generally speaking, when a company’s press release includes the word “accessibility” and makes reference to some other game it means you’re about to see a massive “Dumbing down” of the series. Case in point: Resident Evil 6 and it’s references to Call of Duty.

One of the first things to go in any Dumbing Down process is difficulty. Publishers see that as an impediment to general acceptance. They’ll tone down, or remove, a significant degree of difficulty. In fact, that’s how we ended up where we are today with Dark Soul’s difficulty being legendary, because Publishers demanded modern games be safety-scissored because they felt Players being able to fail was an impediment to sales.

Ultimately, they’ll decide that what was the game’s primary draw was the multiplayer interaction, not the difficulty, and remove the latter.

As far as the stats go, again the game they reference is important. Skyrim removed stats because they felt they didn’t serve a purpose, since they removed or never implemented the functionality that gave them purpose. Intelligence is pretty useless when there’s no skill checks in dialogue, dexterity is pretty useless when you’ve turned combat into action-adventure player skill.

Dark Souls 2 will likely go the same route. Rather than streamline things to make their function more clear, or provide more information to the player, they’ll excise them. Much the same as the game they referenced did.

Ultimately, what you have here is the first indicator that Dark Souls 2 is going to suffer the dumbing down treatment to “Make it more accessible”. I’m sorry Erik, you’re very likely about to learn the pain of all of the gamers who preceeded the PS2 generation."

---
Dark Souls True Honor Dueler: No Fishing, No Healing, No Ganking
PSN: Wunderloss
#43Pawkie07Posted 12/8/2012 8:53:18 PM
r.i.p dark souls
#44boring_namePosted 12/8/2012 9:01:18 PM
It's not great news, but obviously we don't know enough to actually worry yet.
#45ShinpiPosted 12/8/2012 9:03:16 PM
I really want to have high hopes for this game, but in the past nearly every game I've looked forward to has been a HUGE letdown. It's a bit too early to be calling this one a lost cause when we have nothing to go on but an interview and a CGI movie. I'd at least wait till some gameplay footage is out to start calling for their heads.
---
PSN: SnoH01
#46LodissPosted 12/8/2012 9:05:04 PM
I'm just jazzed about a sequel.
---
You were indicted.
#47carpishPosted 12/8/2012 9:10:18 PM
Argh. Why are people, seemingly intelligent, reasoned people on this board, abandoning all faith for From just in an instant? It seriously gets me down and I start to question how the game will turn out. Obviously I can't know and I am in doubt.

But remember that whatever the new direction, the people who made the orignal titles are still working on this game. They're still there! There's no news that they got a whole new design team, or technical lead. Miyazaki's supervisor position may be unconfirmed as meaningful in the grand scheme but their managing director is still there and remember - his position is above the Directors, and he was the one quoted for some of From's most memorable comments.

"From Software's philosophy is not to get caught up chasing what's popular, but rather to make games based on what we value"

Dark Souls was made under consideration of the feedback from players. From people like us - those who care about the atmosphere and challenge yet felt that ideas like world tendency or class systems needed more thought and development.
They listened - and if you check this video: http://youtu.be/ZUgBMGAECvU the developer is just saying the same kind of stuff we are hearing now.

Make the game less frustrating, more accessible, make it hard.

And Dark Souls is a less frustrating, more accessible experience. There are bonfires, more short cuts, NPC summons, Estus flasks balancing difficulty, Pyromancy.
The problem with half of these is that they WERE too obscure for most people, because they weren't explained.

What can we assume will be put in to Dark Souls 2? I think it's reasonable to say no more finding soapstones (just being given them or have them from the start)
explanation on NPC and player summoning or just being able to do it all the time (whether hollowed or not, invasions can only happen when human)
The director has worked on one of the Hardest monster hunter games to date. So improved boss battles and possibly greater emphasis on co-op.

However I also believe that stats will be culled. I imagine faith/int might be moved into one stat. Resistance probably gone (who used resistance?) Possibly vit/endurance moved into one stat.

Item upgrades could be culled to streamline - there are a crap ton of those and some of them are pretty useless. But still people will cry that they took away elements they don't need or never used. Classes could be streamlined. Again, big whoop - will that effect the atmosphere of the game?

The only things I'm genuinely concerned about is removal of areas such as ash lake or the painted world.

People are acting like they're making the game more understandable just to appeal to a more casual market. But, really, they're doing it because people complained about it. People like us. We, who cared enough to complain about it. Do you think any of the casual market who picked it up over the hype, only to stop playing 3 hours in gave feedback to From that the gravelording system wasn't explained thoroughly? Or that the Bed of Chaos fight was terrible? No, it was people here, people like me and possibly you complaining about these things.

So now From seem to be genuinely trying to make the game easier to understand and they get all this backlash and they just can't win because gamers are the hardest people to please on the planet.
#48megaultrarice34Posted 12/8/2012 9:19:32 PM
Or it just means that Dark Souls II's lore will be more spoon-fed to the players so that impatient people can stop complaining that Dark Souls has no story.
---
PSN: OceanSupermarket
#49DregnautPosted 12/8/2012 9:22:36 PM
ak1287 posted...
Dregnaut posted...
juiceman4519 posted...
Ugh, they did so much right with Dark Souls being open ended. I'd hate to see from software pull a Final Fantasy XIII.

Omg.... im about to have a stroke!!

New director?! Dark souls 2 as the name?!?!?! MORE LEINIER?!?!??! Ugh

I'm all for you having a stroke, but maybe you should actually wait until you know more about the game than what you read on the GameFaqs boards. Considering none of these people actually have any concrete evidence.

That said, I still fully support your stroke.

X[
---
^ + R2 = Epic Kill / ^ + R1 = "This IS SPARTA!"
#50ak1287Posted 12/8/2012 9:27:42 PM
Dregnaut posted...
ak1287 posted...
Dregnaut posted...
juiceman4519 posted...
Ugh, they did so much right with Dark Souls being open ended. I'd hate to see from software pull a Final Fantasy XIII.

Omg.... im about to have a stroke!!

New director?! Dark souls 2 as the name?!?!?! MORE LEINIER?!?!??! Ugh

I'm all for you having a stroke, but maybe you should actually wait until you know more about the game than what you read on the GameFaqs boards. Considering none of these people actually have any concrete evidence.

That said, I still fully support your stroke.

X[

Hey man. Your stroke is your business; I am not one to stand in the way of a man and his stroke.