"Dark Souls II will be more straightforward" says new director

#51pumpkinpizzaPosted 12/8/2012 8:30:41 PM
FredtheBum posted...
Mmmm does sound kind of concerning...but too early to tell....

Also what is that crap about him saying he wants it to rival Elder Scrolls? The Souls games are their own thing they have no need to rival the ES.

If it's not broken don't try and fix it!

I didn't realize the interviewer is now a member of the development team. Interesting.
#52ak1287Posted 12/8/2012 8:34:42 PM
pumpkinpizza posted...
FredtheBum posted...
Mmmm does sound kind of concerning...but too early to tell....

Also what is that crap about him saying he wants it to rival Elder Scrolls? The Souls games are their own thing they have no need to rival the ES.

If it's not broken don't try and fix it!

I didn't realize the interviewer is now a member of the development team. Interesting.

This. Like, 1,000 times this.
#53DregnautPosted 12/8/2012 8:39:11 PM
ak1287 posted...
Dregnaut posted...
ak1287 posted...
Dregnaut posted...
juiceman4519 posted...
Ugh, they did so much right with Dark Souls being open ended. I'd hate to see from software pull a Final Fantasy XIII.

Omg.... im about to have a stroke!!

New director?! Dark souls 2 as the name?!?!?! MORE LEINIER?!?!??! Ugh

I'm all for you having a stroke, but maybe you should actually wait until you know more about the game than what you read on the GameFaqs boards. Considering none of these people actually have any concrete evidence.

That said, I still fully support your stroke.

X[

Hey man. Your stroke is your business; I am not one to stand in the way of a man and his stroke.

X[ = having stroke... lol
---
^ + R2 = Epic Kill / ^ + R1 = "This IS SPARTA!"
#54MetaIGearRexPosted 12/8/2012 9:04:47 PM
God ****ing damn it. Why isn't Hidetaka Miyazaki (demon's souls and Dark Souls director) the ****ing director anymore.

If he was directing I wouldn't be worried, but he's not. I'm ****ing terrified.
---
My sarcastic tone doesn't translate over the Internet, which makes me sound like an ass. Usually I mean no offense.
#55alphame4Posted 12/8/2012 9:13:19 PM
Miyazaki want to keep making Armored Core games /troll

Robot Souls?
---
i5 2500k @ 4.7 Ghz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 4Gb EVGA 670 SLI | 16GB Ripjaws 1600 Mhz | OCZ Vertex 3 120 Gb SSD
Steam: Spacerik | PSN: Spacemooncow
#56JtrunksPosted 12/8/2012 9:47:51 PM
Sometimes, a new director can be a good thing.

Hey, maybe it might turn out BETTER with a new brain behind this series. Be more optimistic bros.
---
Part of the Official Gamefaqs Troll Rating Association. (OGTR) *picks up pen and paper*
#57doraemonllh1989Posted 12/8/2012 10:14:44 PM
Since the hitman absolution fiasco im well prepared this time,aint gonna rise my expectation anymore
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#58ShenGonPosted 12/8/2012 11:00:37 PM
Hopefully more straightfoward and accessible means not leaving the player to guess or have to go to the wiki to find out something like

-"What benefits am I getting from this Way of the White Convenant?"
-"How do i know if my Gravelording is working or not?
-Does Dexterity really increase the speed of casting spells?

And by making the game more linear it maybe address another concern alot players have:

-Ok, I just started but how come I this invader has weapons and armor that look like they are from the end of the game?

Hopefully but since we really don't know anything yet, we will have to wait and see.
---
"Does Heaven wish us to destroy ourselves?"
Liu Bei, Kessen II
#59Luminis88Posted 12/9/2012 2:29:45 AM
nedrith posted...
Luminis88 posted...
What's so bad about the game telling you, say, how stats actually work instead of having to look for guides? What's bad about being told why a 520 AR elemental weapon is doing less damage than a 350 AR physical weapon? Or how many points in attunement are needed to get another attunement slot?

That's what I would consider "making the game more straightforward". None of these things are actually making the game hard. It just means you'll have to rely on Google for answers instead of a tutorial screen or the manual. Basically, I think it would be a good thing if the game told you by what rules you'll have to play. Doesn't mean that actually playing by these rules will be any easier, anyways.

IDK those of us who actually enjoy finding out how the game works rather than being told how it works. I actually enjoyed experimenting with different weapons to find the best. If you are going to rely on Google for all that stuff why not just google the boss strategies, I remember a few people saying the game was too easy because they did their homework on how to beat the bosses. Granted the game has had difficulty in it more than just knowing how to do the stuff but still.

It's actually one of the things that is wrong with the last 2 generation of consoles and the games that are on them. 90% of the time it feels like the game is holding your hand telling you everything you have to do. I was 60% of the way through the campaign of AC3 before I stopped playing and I can still remember a tutorial or hint coming on the screen every few minutes reminding how to play the already easy game.

I can say dark souls is more straightforward than demon souls and well I prefer demon souls better. the platforming and shortcuts and such were one of the things that made that game great.

Nah, I didn't mean to say that there should be no experimentation at all. The game shouldn't tell you what's actually good and what isn't, it should just give you the proper information to base the decision as to what's good and what isn't on.

It actually doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with a good build; or at least a decent build that will see you through the PvE part of the game. If you're used to a bit of min-maxing and optimizing in general, you'll soon be able to understand what makes a build good and what doesn't. For example, a quality Pyro build; it's not hard to figure out that getting Dex to 45 to fuel your Pyromancies is a great idea and that it goes well with 27 Strength. However, to come up with that, you need the information that the speed of your Pyromancies relies on Dex and that Strength basically caps out after 40 - which can also be achieved by twohanding a weapon at 27 Strength.

These things aren't exactly part of what I would call experimenting with builds and weapons. That is just figuring out the most basic mechanics of the game. Figuring that out doesn't save you from actually building a character and doesn't tell you much about what weapons/armor/spells to use. It's just giving you necessary information. And that's why I think there's a huge difference in relying on Google for that and looking up complete builds and boss strategies.

I actually think that making these information known would make people look up builds and stuff less. First off, when you're not having to look up these information, you're less likely to stumble on some more in-depth information. It would also make creating your own build far more possible for new players, eliminating to need to look for these things.
#60Nathalmighty1Posted 12/9/2012 5:31:53 AM
Yea I am a little worried about this now! Maybe a fresh perspective on the game will be a good thing... But in the back of my mind I'm worried that this could suffer from 'westernization' and become super easy :(

Too early to tell either way I guess.