"Dark Souls II will be more straightforward" says new director

#71ak1287Posted 12/9/2012 11:50:19 PM
king_zetta posted...
The-Tactician posted...
When has something being straightforward a bad thing?

Beating around a bush and being vague isn't going to make the story/gameplay any better, if it's stupid, it'll be stupid rather or not they tell you about it.

Mystery is interesting and leads to discussion. Flat facts given to you are boring and leave no room for discussion.

There's a difference between mystery in the lore and the exploration, which I think everyone here appreciates; and 'mystery' in the gameplay mechanics.
#72king_zettaPosted 12/9/2012 11:56:45 PM
ak1287 posted...
king_zetta posted...
The-Tactician posted...

Beating around a bush and being vague isn't going to make the story/gameplay any better, if it's stupid, it'll be stupid rather or not they tell you about it.

Mystery is interesting and leads to discussion. Flat facts given to you are boring and leave no room for discussion.

There's a difference between mystery in the lore and the exploration, which I think everyone here appreciates; and 'mystery' in the gameplay mechanics.

It tells you what the buttons do. What more do you need? How much handholding do you need?
#73SolidKnightPosted 12/10/2012 12:03:41 AM
megaultrarice34 posted...
Or it just means that Dark Souls II's lore will be more spoon-fed to the players so that impatient people can stop complaining that Dark Souls has no story.

Wouldn't count on it. I can't think of a FromSoftware game where they spoon-fed the story to anyone. Their writing style has always kept the story unobtrusive and vague. Personally, I hope they stay the course in that regard. I'm tired of developers trying to be movie-directors.
#74ak1287Posted 12/10/2012 12:07:30 AM
king_zetta posted...
ak1287 posted...
king_zetta posted...
The-Tactician posted...

It tells you what the buttons do. What more do you need? How much handholding do you need?

That's not at all what I was talking about.
Things like covenants, hollow/human form, Sin and offerings could, and probably should, be explained more. Are they absolutely essential components? No. Would it be nice to know what joining the Way of White actually does (since the consensus on how it actually affects online play isn't apparent until you check the wiki)? Yes.
#75SolidKnightPosted 12/10/2012 12:17:09 AM
ak1287 posted...
Would it be nice to know what joining the Way of White actually does (since the consensus on how it actually affects online play isn't apparent until you check the wiki)? Yes.

And that example is still being debated because I don't think anyone has managed to design a test that proved whether or not Way of White had an actual benefit or detriment. So Dark Souls has a covenant and over a year later people still don't know exactly what it's purpose is; they suspect reduced invasions.
#76ak1287Posted 12/10/2012 12:18:54 AM
SolidKnight posted...
ak1287 posted...
Would it be nice to know what joining the Way of White actually does (since the consensus on how it actually affects online play isn't apparent until you check the wiki)? Yes.

And that example is still being debated because I don't think anyone has managed to design a test that proved whether or not Way of White had an actual benefit or detriment. So Dark Souls has a covenant and over a year later people still don't know exactly what it's purpose is; they suspect reduced invasions.

Exactly what I was getting at. It's not entirely necessary for me to know that, but neither does it add to my enjoyment NOT knowing that.
#77SolidKnightPosted 12/10/2012 12:23:05 AM
ak1287 posted...
Exactly what I was getting at. It's not entirely necessary for me to know that, but neither does it add to my enjoyment NOT knowing that.

Seriously. It's not like it would have ruined the experience if it at least hinted at it. All it would need is a mere few words saying something along the lines of protecting members from dark spirits. Function is told. Extent is unknown. It's not like we need hard numbers in this regard.
#78ak1287Posted 12/10/2012 12:26:38 AM
SolidKnight posted...
ak1287 posted...

Seriously. It's not like it would have ruined the experience if it at least hinted at it. All it would need is a mere few words saying something along the lines of protecting members from dark spirits. Function is told. Extent is unknown. It's not like we need hard numbers in this regard.

Nah bro. It's all or nothing; either everything's mysterious, or everything is spelled out and hand holding.
#79SolidKnightPosted 12/10/2012 12:30:06 AM(edited)
ak1287 posted...
SolidKnight posted...
ak1287 posted...

Nah bro. It's all or nothing; either everything's mysterious, or everything is spelled out and hand holding.

Lol. It's amusing because other covenants are handled like this. For example, you know the Warriors of Sunlight covenant is the co-op covenant because Solaire--the co-op guy--implicitly tells you. OMG HAND HOLDING!!!!!!!11111!!11
#80MestreRothGFPosted 12/10/2012 1:43:20 AM(edited)
king_zetta posted...
ak1287 posted...
king_zetta posted...
The-Tactician posted...

That reminds me of some of your jewels. What about these two?
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-/60207373
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/621796-assassins-creed-iii/64616604

Congrats, über hardcore smart demon slayer wannabe.