Dark Souls II will be more linear, says new director

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Dark Souls II will be more linear, says new director
4 years ago#11
Bancario51 posted...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/08/dark-souls-2-and-the-fine-line-between-challenge-and-accessibility

here we go again...

That crap isn't mentioned anywhere.

What the hell are you guys even talking about?
4 years ago#12
Aqua69696 posted...
Fang289 posted...
Linear? Y'mean like the level design in Demon's Souls, which is arguably harder than Dark Souls?

1: Wasn't Demons Souls less linear than Dark Souls? After 1-1 you could go down any trail, except 1-3 until you beat one full world, whereas in Dark Souls the only place that non-linear was just after the Lordvessel.
2: Was I the only one who found Demons Souls a lot easier than Dark Souls? Demons Souls has a lot of "Puzzle" bosses, and a lot of them are easy.

Demons souls was very non- linear. You had five mostly equal paths to go through at any time.
Dark Souls just made you feel lost while it attempted to slap you in the proper direction.
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
Please sign this petition if you want the bbox glitch in Dark Souls: http://tinyurl.com/9f9gv8y you are our only hope.
4 years ago#13
Yeah, don't twist his words man.

He says wants it more accessible. It probably means he wants players to be able to understand the mechanics of the game easier. That's a great thing.
4 years ago#14
Aqua69696 posted...
Fang289 posted...
Linear? Y'mean like the level design in Demon's Souls, which is arguably harder than Dark Souls?

1: Wasn't Demons Souls less linear than Dark Souls? After 1-1 you could go down any trail, except 1-3 until you beat one full world, whereas in Dark Souls the only place that non-linear was just after the Lordvessel.
2: Was I the only one who found Demons Souls a lot easier than Dark Souls? Demons Souls has a lot of "Puzzle" bosses, and a lot of them are easy.

1. Yes, but the levels themselves were fairly linear; well, more so than some areas in Dark
2. Nope, I found it easier by far; but I already knew what I was doing when I played Demon's (played it second).
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
4 years ago#15
Aqua69696 posted...
Fang289 posted...

1 - Demon's Souls gives you access to any stage you want after finishing 1-1, but yeah, the paths through the stages are pretty straight forward. I've been playing Demon's Souls recently (today in fact), and I was thinking about that. 2-2 has a nice alternate path to skip the stage, but most of them are linear, although it can be easy to get lost if you're unfamiliar with them.

2 - The bold part - can you hear me sighing? Demon's Souls wasn't easy for me the first time I played it, but it is now on my primary character because I've been through the game nearly 50 times with her. I just hit SL300 today (yep, I have some pride in that - she's existed since November 2009). The only puzzle boss I was aware of is the Dragon God. What other puzzle bosses are you talking about? I've been through the game twice in the last two days and that's only one I can think of.
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
4 years ago#16
^

Tower Knight, kind of (find weakspot hit till bigger weakspot opens up)
Adjucator, if you melee (^)
Fool's Idol (find the right one)
Armor Spider (might be a stretch)
Old Hero (better be quiet)
Storm King (same as Armor Spider)
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
4 years ago#17
Cvdf3 posted...
^

Tower Knight, kind of (find weakspot hit till bigger weakspot opens up)
Adjucator, if you melee (^)
Fool's Idol (find the right one)
Armor Spider (might be a stretch)
Old Hero (better be quiet)
Storm King (same as Armor Spider)

You have my apologies then - I was taking the statement quite literally. The Dragon God is a straight puzzle in that you can't hurt it until you pin it down. The other bosses at least you have to know what you're doing and how to fight, so I didn't see them as puzzles. Hell, looking at it that way, you could stretch it to say that any boss battle from most games is a puzzle until you figure out the proper strategy, and I'm not being sarcastic at all. I was just taking the original statement very literally.
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
4 years ago#18
yup it's gonna suck, damn you namcobandai *shakes fist
We are trying to create a game that is spicy. And we want to make it as spicy as possible. But its edible and tastes good and leaves you wanting more.
(message deleted)
4 years ago#20
I also found Demon's Souls much easier, but that's because I played Dark Souls first. Looks like whatever game you played first of the series seems to be the harder one.

Demon's Souls is as linear as a Mega Man game, meaning that the stages are linear, but the game structure isn't.
And this time!
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Dark Souls II will be more linear, says new director

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived