Dark Souls II will be more linear, says new director

#11ak1287Posted 12/8/2012 7:32:11 PM
Bancario51 posted...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/08/dark-souls-2-and-the-fine-line-between-challenge-and-accessibility

here we go again...

That crap isn't mentioned anywhere.

What the hell are you guys even talking about?
#12PHoToS999Posted 12/8/2012 7:33:31 PM
Aqua69696 posted...
Fang289 posted...
Linear? Y'mean like the level design in Demon's Souls, which is arguably harder than Dark Souls?

1: Wasn't Demons Souls less linear than Dark Souls? After 1-1 you could go down any trail, except 1-3 until you beat one full world, whereas in Dark Souls the only place that non-linear was just after the Lordvessel.
2: Was I the only one who found Demons Souls a lot easier than Dark Souls? Demons Souls has a lot of "Puzzle" bosses, and a lot of them are easy.

Demons souls was very non- linear. You had five mostly equal paths to go through at any time.
Dark Souls just made you feel lost while it attempted to slap you in the proper direction.
---
Silvy owns my pants...and my soul.
Please sign this petition if you want the bbox glitch in Dark Souls: http://tinyurl.com/9f9gv8y you are our only hope.
#13AdethPosted 12/8/2012 8:08:10 PM
Yeah, don't twist his words man.

He says wants it more accessible. It probably means he wants players to be able to understand the mechanics of the game easier. That's a great thing.
#14Cvdf3Posted 12/8/2012 8:14:45 PM
Aqua69696 posted...
Fang289 posted...
Linear? Y'mean like the level design in Demon's Souls, which is arguably harder than Dark Souls?

1: Wasn't Demons Souls less linear than Dark Souls? After 1-1 you could go down any trail, except 1-3 until you beat one full world, whereas in Dark Souls the only place that non-linear was just after the Lordvessel.
2: Was I the only one who found Demons Souls a lot easier than Dark Souls? Demons Souls has a lot of "Puzzle" bosses, and a lot of them are easy.

1. Yes, but the levels themselves were fairly linear; well, more so than some areas in Dark
2. Nope, I found it easier by far; but I already knew what I was doing when I played Demon's (played it second).
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#15MatrixAndrAIaPosted 12/8/2012 9:09:40 PM
Aqua69696 posted...
Fang289 posted...

1 - Demon's Souls gives you access to any stage you want after finishing 1-1, but yeah, the paths through the stages are pretty straight forward. I've been playing Demon's Souls recently (today in fact), and I was thinking about that. 2-2 has a nice alternate path to skip the stage, but most of them are linear, although it can be easy to get lost if you're unfamiliar with them.

2 - The bold part - can you hear me sighing? Demon's Souls wasn't easy for me the first time I played it, but it is now on my primary character because I've been through the game nearly 50 times with her. I just hit SL300 today (yep, I have some pride in that - she's existed since November 2009). The only puzzle boss I was aware of is the Dragon God. What other puzzle bosses are you talking about? I've been through the game twice in the last two days and that's only one I can think of.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#16Cvdf3Posted 12/8/2012 9:13:25 PM
^

Tower Knight, kind of (find weakspot hit till bigger weakspot opens up)
Adjucator, if you melee (^)
Fool's Idol (find the right one)
Armor Spider (might be a stretch)
Old Hero (better be quiet)
Storm King (same as Armor Spider)
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#17MatrixAndrAIaPosted 12/8/2012 9:15:46 PM
Cvdf3 posted...
^

Tower Knight, kind of (find weakspot hit till bigger weakspot opens up)
Adjucator, if you melee (^)
Fool's Idol (find the right one)
Armor Spider (might be a stretch)
Old Hero (better be quiet)
Storm King (same as Armor Spider)

You have my apologies then - I was taking the statement quite literally. The Dragon God is a straight puzzle in that you can't hurt it until you pin it down. The other bosses at least you have to know what you're doing and how to fight, so I didn't see them as puzzles. Hell, looking at it that way, you could stretch it to say that any boss battle from most games is a puzzle until you figure out the proper strategy, and I'm not being sarcastic at all. I was just taking the original statement very literally.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#18chupachupPosted 12/9/2012 3:11:59 AM
yup it's gonna suck, damn you namcobandai *shakes fist
---
We are trying to create a game that is spicy. And we want to make it as spicy as possible. But its edible and tastes good and leaves you wanting more.
#19bats17Posted 12/9/2012 4:02:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#20Da DoodPosted 12/9/2012 4:32:55 AM
I also found Demon's Souls much easier, but that's because I played Dark Souls first. Looks like whatever game you played first of the series seems to be the harder one.

Demon's Souls is as linear as a Mega Man game, meaning that the stages are linear, but the game structure isn't.
---
And this time!