Dark Souls 2 PvP stuff (how would YOU fix the pvp?)

#11LuigiohPosted 12/9/2012 1:12:43 PM
I still think the biggest element of PvP is the backstabbing. They need to set some restrictions with it. Be that a smaller hit box, restricting it to certain weapons, or negating a large portion of the damage by wearing a shield on your back.

It just doesn't work now.
---
32mg and declining keep it up man you can do this you want this
#12ratul123Posted 12/9/2012 1:13:29 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...

1)Meh, I guess it could work out but if they keep stamina restoration boost items/spells/rings, then there would be no incentive not to go full heavy armor.
2)Scaling stat on armors? Scales with resistance? Hmmm, I guess I could see it work out somehow
3)Sure :D
4)Poise and hyper armor just dont work well together. We either have one or the other, having both is a really stupid idea and would make no armor str builds really strong in a sense.
5)Thats all related to latency and not the weapons themselves. Every weapon has 'phantom range' due to latency and how hits are registered.
6)This is a silly and unneccesary idea, spell spams only work on really bad players anyways
7)Oh god please no. This is a very bad idea and would make greatshields really really unbalanced, especially if all the other changes I said would apply.

Shield on back isn't such a bad idea. It is infact an elegant solution to fix how much broken backstabs are at the moment. Being forced to 2H your weapons + the crushing weight of great-shields will make this a proper risk reward strategy. Plus its not like you will be invincible - instead of taking backstab damage you will take normal/maybe counter damage.

Again, spears do have quite a large phantom hitbox which is independent of lag/latency. I dont know how/why you havent noticed it. Do some tests on hollow soldiers to find out for yourself.

For cooldown - it is a tried and tested mechanic to ensure gameflow. Having spells spammable like how it is now is what is a bit silly.
#13Dex_Pyromaniac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:18:59 PM
ratul123 posted...
Shield on back isn't such a bad idea. It is infact an elegant solution to fix how much broken backstabs are at the moment. Being forced to 2H your weapons + the crushing weight of great-shields will make this a proper risk reward strategy. Plus its not like you will be invincible - instead of taking backstab damage you will take normal/maybe counter damage.

Shield on back is very unbalanced, since there are many things which are almost exclusively punishable by backstabs, and slapping on a greatshield and an elemental 2h longspear with the fastest available roll speed isnt exactle punishable if you dont have backstabs available to you. It would create way more problems and imbalance than you think. And being forced to 2h is the least of anyones worries when they are good at pvp, its not like anyone uses a shield for actually blocking lol
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dexpyro <===== Dark Souls stuff
#14ratul123Posted 12/9/2012 1:24:30 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
ratul123 posted...

Shield on back is very unbalanced, since there are many things which are almost exclusively punishable by backstabs, and slapping on a greatshield and an elemental 2h longspear with the fastest available roll speed isnt exactle punishable if you dont have backstabs available to you. It would create way more problems and imbalance than you think. And being forced to 2h is the least of anyones worries when they are good at pvp, its not like anyone uses a shield for actually blocking lol

Again, read the part in bold. It doesnt make you invincible, you still take damage. Also, greatshields cannot parry, so you are sacrificing offensive potential for semi defensive insurance.
#15Dex_Pyromaniac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:28:16 PM
ratul123 posted...
Again, read the part in bold. It doesnt make you invincible, you still take damage. Also, greatshields cannot parry, so you are sacrificing offensive potential for semi defensive insurance.

Like parries mean anything in pvp right now :D (and besides, switch to lh2, parry with bare hand, back to greatshield)

And yeah I know you still take damage, try to damage someone who has the dwgr, and is using a longspear without using backstabs. Please, be my guest.
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
#16ratul123Posted 12/9/2012 1:38:00 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
ratul123 posted...

Like parries mean anything in pvp right now :D (and besides, switch to lh2, parry with bare hand, back to greatshield)

And yeah I know you still take damage, try to damage someone who has the dwgr, and is using a longspear without using backstabs. Please, be my guest.

if you can backstab him, you can damage him. Also, as I said before, phantom hits also needs to be fixed, both for weapons and damage.
#17Dex_Pyromaniac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:40:45 PM
ratul123 posted...
if you can backstab him, you can damage him

Backstabs have 0 wind up time, attacks dont
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
#18ratul123Posted 12/9/2012 1:43:45 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
ratul123 posted...
if you can backstab him, you can damage him

Backstabs have 0 wind up time, attacks dont

LOL, dude that is an optical illusion. The game calculates whether your attack is hitting the player's hitbox - if its a success then only it plays the backstab animation.
#19Dex_Pyromaniac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:47:01 PM
ratul123 posted...
LOL, dude that is an optical illusion. The game calculates whether your attack is hitting the player's hitbox - if its a success then only it plays the backstab animation.

That doesnt change the fact that a backstab with a demon great machete takes the same time to register as it does with a dagger, while for attacks which ARENT backstabs thats not the same, because backstabs have 0 wind up time. If you hit r1 at the right time, you get a backstab. If you cant land a backstab and they just roll away in the time while your attack is in wind up, then you simply wont land the attack.
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
#20ratul123Posted 12/9/2012 1:54:35 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
ratul123 posted...

That doesnt change the fact that a backstab with a demon great machete takes the same time to register as it does with a dagger, while for attacks which ARENT backstabs thats not the same, because backstabs have 0 wind up time. If you hit r1 at the right time, you get a backstab. If you cant land a backstab and they just roll away in the time while your attack is in wind up, then you simply wont land the attack.

So what you want is a insta-activated OHKO move?

If not, tell me, would you be ok with the current backstab mechanic if it dealt the same damage as a normal hit?