Ashamed by the Dark Souls community

#21Tr1pLe-Posted 12/11/2012 5:21:00 AM
The moonlight knight posted...
More straight-forward could mean better explaining of game mechanics. By removing world tendency they already moved in the direction of less confusing game mechanics, but even still the various moves and nuances to weapons, damages, damage calculations, weapon scaling, etc. leave many confused. There's many people on this very board who don't seem to fully grasp weapon scaling very well and just assume "it has to have an S/A or it sucks as a scaling weapon"

But on my stats screen it shows my lightning weapon does more damage than a +15, it is clearly superior.
#22The moonlight knightPosted 12/11/2012 5:24:59 AM
Yeah that too. Lot of people see split damage weapons with a higher total attack power, and think "that is damage! Whoa, it's way higher" and don't think that the number is gained by having two separate attack powers, that have to go against two separate defenses.

Plus the damage formula as a whole seems weird. Really weird. I don't even get it. I understood on my own, over time, that like, you need a certain amount of attack power (relative to the enemy's defense) to sorta "overcome" it, and do good damage, so two weaker attack powers split, like with a lightning weapon, will run into problems... I get that, but I don't understand the exact formula. It's not something I can just do in my head. But I can do that with, say, Skyrim's.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#23Tr1pLe-Posted 12/11/2012 5:34:21 AM
The moonlight knight posted...
Yeah that too. Lot of people see split damage weapons with a higher total attack power, and think "that is damage! Whoa, it's way higher" and don't think that the number is gained by having two separate attack powers, that have to go against two separate defenses.

Plus the damage formula as a whole seems weird. Really weird. I don't even get it. I understood on my own, over time, that like, you need a certain amount of attack power (relative to the enemy's defense) to sorta "overcome" it, and do good damage, so two weaker attack powers split, like with a lightning weapon, will run into problems... I get that, but I don't understand the exact formula. It's not something I can just do in my head. But I can do that with, say, Skyrim's.

With all the trolling that goes on here, its hard for new comers to believe anything that is said.
#24The moonlight knightPosted 12/11/2012 5:36:50 AM
Well I suppose that's an issue too.

Fortunately, this is somewhat easy to test at least. I mean I figured it out on my own back in Demon's Souls and it's not too hard. So long as someone is moderately observant, they can notice damage discrepancies.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#25StockpileThomasPosted 12/11/2012 5:41:51 AM
Maybe they are making it more straight forward so players don't have to look up as much stuff online, as this exposes them to the worst part of Darks Souls; the community ;)
#26Ryan_SilverFoxPosted 12/11/2012 5:59:14 AM
sneakysnake posted...
Its better to be cautious than to be naively optimistic.

I think it's better to wait and see, than guess and whine. I'm sure you've heard the saying: "To assume is to make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'."

The game's not going to be out for quite a while (plenty of time to work things out) and people are already hating on things. Me, I'm interested to see what the next game will be like. The whole "cautious" approach can wait until closer to release. By then, more information will likely have come out and I'll decide whether or not to pre-order, simply get the game on release or wait a little bit to see the general reaction of the game after people have had some time with it.

Until then, I find it's much better to just play what I have now and not dwell on what isn't going to be here in the immediate future. Y'know... take things from a patient, mature position.

Perhaps the "haters" here should consider doing the same.
#27BigWilliePlaysPosted 12/11/2012 6:15:15 AM
"Souls is finished" guy
"Day1 buy no matter what" guy
"I don't like `Souls is finished` guy" guy
"I don't like `Day1 buy no matter what` guy" guy

"Sexist that assumes they're all guys," guy

Nothing to be ashamed of here! This community has EVERYTHING

Except a gameplay trailer. We could really use one of those. guy
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro
better to offer help to a troll than turn away a noob - PHoToS999
#28SSJPabsPosted 12/11/2012 6:21:01 AM
StockpileThomas posted...
Maybe they are making it more straight forward so players don't have to look up as much stuff online, as this exposes them to the worst part of Darks Souls; the community ;)
Someone got his heart of gold stolen!

I think an example of straight-forwardness is to look at the DLC compared to the main game. Elizabeth tells us right out: Dusk is kidnapped, Abyss is spreading, Artorias is here trying to fight it but it's not looking good. Gough tells us outright that Manus is the father of the Abyss and Elizabeth says he's a primeval human and taken Dusk.

Now think about say Queelag or Ornstein. What do we know about them before we fight them? Nothing! Afterwards we can piece together things from the armor descriptions and what NPCs tell us, But in the DLC the information is directly given to you by NPCs beforehand.

In this case, straightforward could mean that you will have basic information about what's coming up ahead but the details and subtleties are still only there if you look. For example: the DM Knightness says "Gwyn's keep is that way.... but all fall to Knight Captain Ornstein and his lightning." We know of a powerful upcoming foe and his weapon but little else. Then when we run into him we have a more complex reaction than "WTF?!" because we can place them into context a little better before hand.
---
I used to have an account in 2002, but Gamefaqs ate it.
#29MestreRothGFPosted 12/11/2012 6:21:51 AM
Clink posted...
I am a massive Dark (and Demon's) Souls fan, and I am extremely excited for the announcement of Dark Souls 2. I'm disgusted by the hugely negative back-lash that the wider Souls community has aimed at FromSoftware.

If you look at the objective facts, all we have regarding Dark Souls 2 is a CGI trailer, a new director, and a few PR snippets from From which should always be taken with a grain of salt.

The lack of general community comprehension regarding this title is astounding, which I find ironic given the Souls series is renowned for requiring patient and objective analysis of the challenges it presents the player.

No. We've got multiple quotes stating that they are aing to become Skyrim, more casual, mainstream and obvious. Funny thing you hid these facts.

Souls series is not over. As much as Castlevania and RE are not too.
#30hemphoarderPosted 12/11/2012 6:27:40 AM
Dark Souls 2 will be terrible. It will be easier and appeal to a wider audience. It will sell 5 million copies and win game of the year. It will have cut scenes and larger NPC interaction. You will get up to two different NPC's that can join your party. They will stay with you throughout the level and you can give them commands for different strategies to attain your goal. Each boss will have a weak point that will be hard to reach and if you hit a cut scene will commence and a large portion of its hp will drop.

I am going to f***ing love it.
---
I couldn't care less...
PSN:Sleepyydwarf