Ashamed by the Dark Souls community

#41StockpileThomasPosted 12/11/2012 9:29:11 AM
SSJPabs posted...
StockpileThomas posted...
Maybe they are making it more straight forward so players don't have to look up as much stuff online, as this exposes them to the worst part of Darks Souls; the community ;)
Someone got his heart of gold stolen!

I think an example of straight-forwardness is to look at the DLC compared to the main game. Elizabeth tells us right out: Dusk is kidnapped, Abyss is spreading, Artorias is here trying to fight it but it's not looking good. Gough tells us outright that Manus is the father of the Abyss and Elizabeth says he's a primeval human and taken Dusk.

Now think about say Queelag or Ornstein. What do we know about them before we fight them? Nothing! Afterwards we can piece together things from the armor descriptions and what NPCs tell us, But in the DLC the information is directly given to you by NPCs beforehand.

In this case, straightforward could mean that you will have basic information about what's coming up ahead but the details and subtleties are still only there if you look. For example: the DM Knightness says "Gwyn's keep is that way.... but all fall to Knight Captain Ornstein and his lightning." We know of a powerful upcoming foe and his weapon but little else. Then when we run into him we have a more complex reaction than "WTF?!" because we can place them into context a little better before hand.

Excellent post and point! Btw i tell ppl they have hearts of gold, doesn't mean i have or ever had one myself, it's also not always true, you could kill everyone in the Nexus and i'd still say it :)
#42MestreRothGFPosted 12/11/2012 2:39:56 PM
TheDarkone21 posted...
DahlVaughnni posted...
Oil_Rope_Bombs posted...
From: TheBlueDeath | Posted: 12/11/2012 1:51:46 AM | #003

EDIT: Oh look, one's already here.

Whoosh

You... should probably learn what whoosh means.

Whoosh

Waaaat?
#43ShenGonPosted 12/11/2012 4:01:26 PM
I am somewhat concerned about Dark Souls II but it has nothing to do with the trailer or what anyone has said in any magazine article.

I have actually seen what happened in Dark Souls and rely on that as evidence. If you remember, when this first came out, there were some things that needed nerfing and fixing like the Ring of Fog and Tranquil Walk of Peace however in addition to those things, apparently people had complained about the drop rates and not being able to fully "twink out" in one play through. To me the initial drop rates were part of the difficulty of the game and was a direct result of players having to invest time to get a reasonable reward.

Now it is laughably easy to farm anything but if even that is too much there is usually a merchant somewhere that now sells what you need .

And as easy as it would be to say it was "casuals" who complained, prior to the Dark Souls 2 announcement there were topics from vets who wanted from to put back in the glitches because they have 8 different characters and didn't want to invest the time improve them through just playing the game.

This is FROM listening to the community. (pun intended).

So my concern is not based on speculation., My concern is based on things that have actually occurred.
---
"Does Heaven wish us to destroy ourselves?"
Liu Bei, Kessen II
#44SkullspikePosted 12/11/2012 4:08:31 PM
Moose_Of_Woe posted...
Spade59 posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
I admire your resolve, but I've been burned too many times by developers wanting to "appeal to a wider audience".

I'll be watching this with caution.

Pretty much this.

Just have a look at Resident Evil.

"JUST-TAKE-A-LOOK-AT-THIS!" - Barry

"HOPE THIS ISN'T CHRIS' BLOOD..."
---
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#45akechi419Posted 12/11/2012 4:19:48 PM
I see what your saying. I am actually excited about Dark Souls 2. I loved Resident Evil 6. Only time I ever got burned is with the new DMC. They made dante look like Rihanna. Reboot? fine but use the same dante.
---
PSN ID: Arkangel419
#46Number4RocketPosted 12/11/2012 5:03:43 PM
Only thing I'm ashamed of is the console stupidity.
#47MrSmi7hPosted 12/11/2012 5:50:31 PM
Holoogamooga_ posted...
"...the Souls series is renowned for requiring patient and objective analysis of the challenges it presents the player."

This is the issue, TC. We're afraid this won't hold true any more. That's all we're afraid of.

Yeah, patient and objective analysis, like being pushed backwards with dragon slayer arrows while being impaled in the back by tracking thunder demon lances while being invaded while running in a narrow joist while you have camera issues.

It's all about logic, clearly.
#48SymphonicRainPosted 12/11/2012 6:05:22 PM
akechi419 posted...
I see what your saying. I am actually excited about Dark Souls 2. I loved Resident Evil 6. Only time I ever got burned is with the new DMC. They made dante look like Rihanna. Reboot? fine but use the same dante.

They made Dante look like Tameem.
---
"invade some poor sap and jihad bomb him" - LazyKenny
#49Fo_lc_usPosted 12/11/2012 6:57:02 PM
Clink posted...
I am a massive Dark (and Demon's) Souls fan, and I am extremely excited for the announcement of Dark Souls 2. I'm disgusted by the hugely negative back-lash that the wider Souls community has aimed at FromSoftware.

If you look at the objective facts, all we have regarding Dark Souls 2 is a CGI trailer, a new director, and a few PR snippets from From which should always be taken with a grain of salt.

The lack of general community comprehension regarding this title is astounding, which I find ironic given the Souls series is renowned for requiring patient and objective analysis of the challenges it presents the player.

And it's nearly all from people who seem to be new.

I mean, I've never seen some of these people contribute before the trailer was shown.
---
GT: remShotz
Speakeasy member.
#50A_German_spyPosted 12/11/2012 7:05:19 PM
Skullspike posted...
Moose_Of_Woe posted...
Spade59 posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
I admire your resolve, but I've been burned too many times by developers wanting to "appeal to a wider audience".

I'll be watching this with caution.

Pretty much this.

Just have a look at Resident Evil.

"JUST-TAKE-A-LOOK-AT-THIS!" - Barry

"HOPE THIS ISN'T CHRIS' BLOOD..."

WHAT A MANSION!

I dunno, Shibuya's "credentials" do worry me a bit (creator of Residet Evil Outbreak in charge of Souls II? *Shudder*) but personally I need more information before I'll be prepared to jump to any conclusions. In particular, I want some gameplay footage and some info about the control mechanics and UI. Difficulty is also obviously a central issue and while I'm going to be quite upset if it does turn out they've dumbed it down, the fact is we just don't have enough solid evidence yet to know for sure whether it'll actually pan out that way. I'll be watching, waiting and making up my mind when I have more to go on.
---
"A crouton is like a party, in your mouth." - DuneMan
http://www.youtube.com/user/AGermanSpy