If this game was easier...

#11VettiSforzaPosted 12/14/2012 9:40:34 PM
The cryptic story won't appeal to everyone, just like a David Lynch film. However everything in DkS makes sense, the story is there, you just need to read the item descriptions, note the placement of enemies (octopus creatures only appear in Seath's library because they're maidens of Gwynevere that were abducted), etc. The game is incredibly rich in story but won't appeal to the Michael Bay generation of gamers.
#12DignatoReRaisedPosted 12/14/2012 9:42:56 PM
TheCurseX2 posted...

I was never under attack by huge plant creatures for no real reason other than some pasted footnote that everything apparently hates me. I'd love to see a human try to pick berries in this world. It's probably a 9-5 task for them.

And look at the general gist of the game as you described... it's so silly. It doesn't even validate the amount of Hell you're put through. Actually, it makes your guy look like Rainman or something only instead of K-Mart it's "Gotta ring the bells!"

So if you walked through the woods in real life, you would expect it to just be a pleasant stroll with no encounters with dangerous wild-life?

The entire land of Lordran has been through what is basically an apocalypse situation. Almost everyone is either dead or hollowed. The forest creatures are defending their home, the rats are eating the corpses of the deceased, there are demons running around who want nothing but to acquire more souls and more power. There are insane posessed suits of armor. There are mindless husks of what was formerly a human being that want to take your humanity from you. All of the creatures in this game have a reason for attacking you. You just aren't thinking about it enough.
---
Give me a good enough signature to use, and I'll replace this one.
#13TheCurseX2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 9:46:25 PM
Or how about the generation of gamer that simply wants the story to be given as progression is made without needing to make mental note on every little object I examine? That's kind of the reward here: you advance, more is revealed. It isn't accessibility compromising complexity, but recognizing when simplicity is necessary.

Your example right there shows that there is nothing at all deep or particularly rich about Dark Souls. It is just a troll game that deludes the hardcore fanbase to thinking they're uncovering ciphers or something.
---
Of course, of course it got done, things get done all the time, I understand don't worry YOUR JOB WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK. GET BETTER GEORGE!
#14TheCurseX2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 9:51:54 PM
DignatoReRaised posted...
TheCurseX2 posted...

I was never under attack by huge plant creatures for no real reason other than some pasted footnote that everything apparently hates me. I'd love to see a human try to pick berries in this world. It's probably a 9-5 task for them.

And look at the general gist of the game as you described... it's so silly. It doesn't even validate the amount of Hell you're put through. Actually, it makes your guy look like Rainman or something only instead of K-Mart it's "Gotta ring the bells!"

So if you walked through the woods in real life, you would expect it to just be a pleasant stroll with no encounters with dangerous wild-life?

The entire land of Lordran has been through what is basically an apocalypse situation. Almost everyone is either dead or hollowed. The forest creatures are defending their home, the rats are eating the corpses of the deceased, there are demons running around who want nothing but to acquire more souls and more power. There are insane posessed suits of armor. There are mindless husks of what was formerly a human being that want to take your humanity from you. All of the creatures in this game have a reason for attacking you. You just aren't thinking about it enough.

If I was aware of the presence of dangerous wild life, chances are I'd not take the chance at all. Believe it or not, but I don't own a broadsword and suit of armour and I actually go about my daily business with as much safety as possible. My point is that there is at least some motivation for why things happen.

I don't even know if your second paragraph is at all true with how concealed this game wants to be. There's ZERO immersion and my enjoyment of it is vastly diminished because of it. Even then, trying to walk along a path to get from Point A to Point B and attracting monsters from a mile away because they want to "defend their space" is shoddy explanation. Invading a cave in Skyrim that happens to house a spider nest is plausible since they wish to defend their territory and I am infiltrating it quite obviously.

But when I'm an entire football field away from a huge Hydra lobbing fireballs my way while IGNORING the gargantuan brutes that are practically littering the space around it even more? That's terrible programming/writing.
---
Of course, of course it got done, things get done all the time, I understand don't worry YOUR JOB WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK. GET BETTER GEORGE!
#15Cvdf3Posted 12/14/2012 9:54:17 PM
ITT: I didn't look for context therefore it does not exist...
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#16joeharamatheoPosted 12/14/2012 9:55:00 PM
TheCurseX2 posted...
It would be nowhere near as popular, you must admit. It's a clunky action game with no awesome cinematic effects and the story is inexcusably poor.

I mean, it's great it did as well it did by getting away with delivering the bare minimum but it is almost a sham to release a shoddy and underwhelming game like this in recent years when you have truly engaging games like Skyrim and Arkham City out there.

sounds legit

cool story bro

vanilla/10

kthnxbai
#17DignatoReRaisedPosted 12/14/2012 9:56:05 PM
TheCurseX2 posted...

I don't even know if your second paragraph is at all true with how concealed this game wants to be. There's ZERO immersion and my enjoyment of it is vastly diminished because of it. Even then, trying to walk along a path to get from Point A to Point B and attracting monsters from a mile away because they want to "defend their space" is shoddy explanation. Invading a cave in Skyrim that happens to house a spider nest is plausible since they wish to defend their territory and I am infiltrating it quite obviously.

But when I'm an entire football field away from a huge Hydra lobbing fireballs my way while IGNORING the gargantuan brutes that are practically littering the space around it even more? That's terrible programming/writing.

The bolded text never actually happens. Monsters have a pathetically small aggro distance and if you don't sprint or wear heavy(noisy) armor, then it gets even smaller.

Also, the Hydra doesn't shoot fireballs. They're water jets. And you aren't meant to ignore the crystal golems. There are four places in that area where you can draw them to and kill them without being in danger from the water jets. It was purposefully designed in a way that would lead you to these safe areas as well. Have you actually PLAYED this game, or just watched videos?
---
Give me a good enough signature to use, and I'll replace this one.
#18Kyuubi4269Posted 12/14/2012 9:57:46 PM
VettiSforza posted...
The cryptic story won't appeal to everyone, just like a David Lynch film. However everything in DkS makes sense, the story is there, you just need to read the item descriptions, note the placement of enemies (octopus creatures only appear in Seath's library because they're maidens of Gwynevere that were abducted), etc. The game is incredibly rich in story but won't appeal to the Michael Bay generation of gamers.

The only problem regarding this is that the actual storyline is pretty streamlined and you can jump from boss to boss all the way to Gwyn, with a certain sense of urgency all the way through.

If you look around you can find out tonnes about what's happenED, who people WERE and a load of other been and gone things, but there's nothing else happening currently other than the storyline (which is intentionally story lacking anyhow) so there's nothing to suggest your character should investigate all these potentially interesting characters. Pretty much every other game for a long time has had interesting aspects to it all around but they would always end up footnotes or a simple case of "It happened." which teaches you not to find out more and assume it's just another minor scene setting event.

The advantage Skyrim poses (despite it's deplorable... everything else) is that it has people and events all around and you learn intriguing things without even looking, you can also tell if you can involve yourself in these events or whether they're just setting the scene. There's also the fact that you're encouraged to do your own thing and you feel the storyline can wait.
---
Name: Kyu
FC: 60034570
#19TheCurseX2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 10:02:50 PM
DignatoReRaised posted...
TheCurseX2 posted...

The bolded text never actually happens. Monsters have a pathetically small aggro distance and if you don't sprint or wear heavy(noisy) armor, then it gets even smaller.

Also, the Hydra doesn't shoot fireballs. They're water jets. And you aren't meant to ignore the crystal golems. There are four places in that area where you can draw them to and kill them without being in danger from the water jets. It was purposefully designed in a way that would lead you to these safe areas as well. Have you actually PLAYED this game, or just watched videos?

Yes, it never actually happens despite it having happened to me.

My point is that the entire world feels tailored towards murdering you. It makes you wonder, if there actually was a story worth the time to print on a single page in an instruction booklet, that you're the Anti-Christ or something because everything beneath the sun wants a piece of you. The enemies of different habitat and species will ignore one another to kill you exclusively and then go back to their poor pathing AI.

It's not engaging and I cannot see why you'd enjoy this game when considering how rudimentary it is in execution.
---
#20Fo_lc_usPosted 12/14/2012 10:06:32 PM
In other news, exploring Draugr ruin # 57. Hopefully our adventurer will have a great time fighting the unique and varied enemies there.

What an exciting prospect Tom, can't wait until the report comes in. And that's news at 9, on channel 5.
---
GT: remShotz
Speakeasy member.