If this game was easier...

#71TheCurseX2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 11:29:18 PM
Titanite-Demon posted...
TheCurseX2 posted...
Titanite-Demon posted...
TheCurseX2 posted...
Titanite-Demon posted...
> Says the Skyrim player

Yes, says the player of 2011's Game of the Year award.

> Implying that "GotY" makes it a good game
> Sounds like meme arrows were never introduced

They only give GOTY to bad games, gotcha'.

What reverse universe do you live in, and how do I enter a mirror to reach it?

> Implying that I ever said anything about GotY going to bad games

The implication was extremely strong. Work on your word usage.
---
Of course, of course it got done, things get done all the time, I understand don't worry YOUR JOB WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK. GET BETTER GEORGE!
#72AisienPosted 12/14/2012 11:31:59 PM
TheCurseX2 posted...
Aisien posted...
Loosen up a bit, TC. This is almost Christmas time after all. If no arguments can make you think otherwise, this discussion was not going to initially proceed anywhere in the first place. If you don't like the game because of your "standards", fine. But why are you plaguing everyone else and stirring things up? Please look in the mirror, shut up and let everyone else enjoy the game. It is for your own mental health as well. Thank you.

I'm just hoping that Dark Souls 2 does indeed make things "easier." That means it will actually be a good game overall and not one that desperately clings to it's artificial gimmick of difficulty.

I don't think the game is that difficult by itself but I do agree the game should explain things in a little bit more detail, such as upgrading and scaling system. Also, some of the enemy drops should not be extraordinarily rare. Getting slabs (white, blue and red especially) is a very tedious process, especially because the damage boost from the upgrade is not that big, so drop system does need some balancing. So yeah, I can understand the frustration in some cases.
#73Takeda123Posted 12/14/2012 11:33:39 PM
https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Skyrim-vs-Dark-Souls.jpeg
---
To this day I still picture that player dressed in full onion gear running down the stairs shouting "HELP ME SEIGMEYER!" - VettiSforza
#74TheCurseX2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 11:34:06 PM
Wow, somebody that isn't a fanboy?
---
Of course, of course it got done, things get done all the time, I understand don't worry YOUR JOB WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WHEN YOU GET BACK. GET BETTER GEORGE!
#75Titanite-DemonPosted 12/14/2012 11:34:18 PM
Nope. Don't see it.

Yeah.... No.

It's just my opinion.
Like yours is any better than mine.
Mine isn't better than yours either.

Because, you know, preferences.
---
"Kalinka? Malinka?"
- Vocaloids
#76Cvdf3Posted 12/14/2012 11:34:53 PM
TheCurseX2 posted...
Cvdf3 posted...
Again. People want a barebones game. People make a barebones game. Whiny people who want every game to be a s****y clone cry. Ruins the game and turns it into another throwaway series. GG TC. Please stay away from the videogame industry. Although I can see you doing well with mobile games.

As long as you admit that it is a game that is basically the definition of "bare minimum." I don't know why some of you argue against this or try to make it seem like more than it is. You know you're wrong, but just refuse to accept it. Interesting, but also sad.

Who said that? I literally posted this about 4 times. Dark Souls is simple in concept, a story if you want to look for it, and (this is why Skyrim bores the hell out of me now) better combat than any ARPG i have played. Dragons Dogma was alright, but stats were much more important than actual skill so it got boring quick too.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#77Kyuubi4269Posted 12/14/2012 11:35:53 PM
Takeda123 posted...
https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Skyrim-vs-Dark-Souls.jpeg

This <3
---
Name: Kyu
FC: 60034570
#78SSJPabsPosted 12/14/2012 11:43:01 PM(edited)
TheCurseX2 posted...
SSJPabs posted...
OP, I'm curious. You say the story that is there is pretty bland. What is the story as you understand it? It feels like we're talking about different games, so I'd like to try and understand your PoV better.

You're a zombie in a cell that decided it would be a wonderful day to go and get slaughtered by everything on the same planar level as you.

I actually feel like the villain in this world seeing as everything wants to kill me.
That makes me feel like what TV Tropes calls a "Determinator!"

To be fair, I may be filling in the blanks with my own roleplaying based off of item descriptions, but that's the point of a game like this. The plot itself is basic. But the story can be as deep and rich as you want it to be. That's the point of the game. That's what it's trying to do, it doesn't make the game bad.

TL;DR - How I see the Dark Souls story and why I find it gripping.

I see the story as an undead who hits rock bottom then has nothing left to lose and decides on a desperate gamble with the bells. It might seem like it's not worth it but giving up only leads you to be like the Crestfallen Warrior. Giving up means a dead end. As you progress you see that the entire world is coming apart as undeath spreads and things will only get worse when the Demons conquer Lordran and move out into the world. Your desperation gives way to determination to end the madness and bring hope to the world... and then maybe you will be accepted back.

As you ring the bell you discover the only way out is to fight to the home of the Gods and demand answers. There after a mighty struggle, you obtain the Lord Vessel, discover Anor Londo is a lie and there is no hope. Except you. You must link the Fire... or perhaps another path. Either way the only way to do so is to kill the gods. Then and there you vow in this the Twilight of the Gods, you will be their executioner.

The great hunt begins. Seath the Scaleless is filled with righteous indignation that a pygmy human threatens his immortality and feels only shame and shock as he dies. The 4 Kings rage impotently as they find someone who's determination is greater than their lust for Humanity. Gravelord Nito seems almost resigned to fighting you, doing his duty but no more. Finally Izalith the place where humanity and demonity began a testament to the failure of the Gods to solve the problem of the Flame and a mercy kill.

In the DLC you see the horror that the unchecked Abyss begets. The way it twisted the paragon Artorias, and the residents. You see that Manus could very well be you. And glimpse for a moment, the vast struggle the gods waged against the dragons. You understand how valuable the Age of Fire was... or is.

As you march into the ashes of the Kiln, think back on the NPCs and their stories. You can bring a stop to the tragedy of Sieglinde and Seigmeyer. To end the hopelessness that drove Quelana's family to risk all and self-destruct. To make Ingward's long sojourn (or sacrifice!) mean something. To make it impossible for once good men like Logan and Laurentius to destroy themselves with lust for knowledge. To end the cruelty and hypocrisy of Thorolund and the Way of White. To avenge the fallen Tarkus, Beatrice and Oscar who tried so hard and deserved better than they got. To show Solaire his sun at last!

Gwyn. Burning for a thousand years. Noble and self-sacrificing, or prisoner of pain and fear? After a thousand years is there any difference? Will you succeed him and prolong the decline and risk yourself, or risk the Abyss?

The plot itself is basic. But the story can be as deep and rich as you want it to be. That's the point of the game. That's what it's trying to do, it doesn't make the game bad.
---
I used to have an account in 2002, but Gamefaqs ate it.
#79Takeda123Posted 12/14/2012 11:39:28 PM
Kyuubi4269 posted...
Takeda123 posted...

This <3

---
To this day I still picture that player dressed in full onion gear running down the stairs shouting "HELP ME SEIGMEYER!" - VettiSforza
#80Fo_lc_usPosted 12/14/2012 11:41:38 PM
Titanite-Demon posted...
Nope. Don't see it.

Yeah.... No.

It's just my opinion.
Like yours is any better than mine.
Mine isn't better than yours either.

Because, you know, preferences.

I am right.

All of you are wrong.

This is true because this topic is an opinion, not an objective analysis.

If it were objective, the arguments of other people would have merit.

Of course, the simple preface of "in my opinion" does wonders for comprehension.

"In my opinion, the story is bad."

"OK, thank you. In my opinion it is good."

But nooo, we have to pass our opinions off as fact. Which you can't do with such an open ended thing as storytelling.

Some people will find the Lord of the Rings good, some will find it bad.

Some people will find Skyrim good, some will find it bad.

As long as the people who think it is good/bad don't try to change the opinions of others.

Because some people can like Dark Souls' story. Which, for some reason, get's some people all hot and bothered.

Meh, enjoy this thread while you all can.

We've seen many of them in every game.
---
GT: remShotz
Speakeasy member.