This is what Skyrim lacked.

#41basketofsealsPosted 12/24/2012 10:05:43 AM
Kratier posted...
i dont think people understand that dark souls is just a generic rpg with zombies thrown in
skyrim had originality

Couldn't you have said Oblivion or at least Morrowind? Skyrim has to be the least original, or imaginative, Elder Scrolls game as of late.
#42kirbydudePosted 12/24/2012 10:12:36 AM
As well, adding that style of open world, NPC driven, narrative heavy style would probably ruin a lot of what makes Dark Souls so unique. The whole feeling of isolation and purpose is lose when you're going out to do another "Kill 10 rats" quest. I know there are none in Skyrim, but I'm making an exaggerated point.

Bring me 10 bear pelts, because they ruined my lumberjacking business and I hate them so much.

^^^Real Skyrim quest
---
9 out of 10 cannibals agree, a muffin isn't a muffin without the tangy zip of Dave. -ShadowScytheX
#43Silent_AlarmPosted 12/24/2012 10:24:02 AM
Virtue777 posted...
Silent_Alarm posted...
Virtue777 posted...
It's not like difficulty is what makes Dark Souls an enjoyable game. The world is simply more interesting, the combat more engaging, the music (when it plays) more exciting, and the story more unique.

Skyrim's the kind of game for ADD children and exhausted overtime-working adults who just want to turn their brain off and forget about things for a while. It's like watching TV. It's not fulfilling the slightest.

Dark Souls is like classic literature. It's an experience where every moment is noticed and appreciated, and the entire game is seared into your memory. It's a video game and it requires constant interaction with it. It punishes you for not giving it attention. Attention it deserves. And in the end, the game you remember is Dark Souls. Not Skyrim, because the entire time you played Skyrim, you were in "zombie" mode.

Yeah, the 400 hours I played Skyrim for are just an empty hole. Maybe its all that Ritalin I'm on.

It's pretty easy to sink hundreds of hours into mindless activity, look at most of the stuff on TV. And less than a year from now, you will not remember anything of Skyrim. It'll all just have blended together. Unlike Dark Souls, an experience that is actually enjoyable and memorable.

I'll remember lots of it, maybe you just have a lousy memory?
---
PSN & XBL: AM180
My Demon's/Dark Souls Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/AM1800?feature=mhee
#44TILlegion777Posted 12/24/2012 10:29:30 AM
But bears are so fearsome and challenging and I totally can't just walk up behind them and kill them with one sneak attack!

Honestly, I would cite that as the games biggest flaw. At low levels, everything on Master takes way too much work to kill properly. It isn't really challenging per se, it's just the enemies have way too much health and deal too much damage. Once you hit a point though, nothing in the game offers any sort of challenge anymore at all.

The curse of RPG-leveling to the utmost. There's a good like 5 level stretch where you can do quests without needing to save every five second in case you run into something that can one shot you, and not just be able to steamroll everything.
---
This is a unique signature.
I've put it here, so hopefully when you see it again you'll think "Oh yeah, that guy with the stupid signature!"
#45DignatoReRaisedPosted 12/24/2012 11:58:56 AM
TILlegion777 posted...
But bears are so fearsome and challenging and I totally can't just walk up behind them and kill them with one sneak attack!

Honestly, I would cite that as the games biggest flaw. At low levels, everything on Master takes way too much work to kill properly. It isn't really challenging per se, it's just the enemies have way too much health and deal too much damage. Once you hit a point though, nothing in the game offers any sort of challenge anymore at all.

The curse of RPG-leveling to the utmost. There's a good like 5 level stretch where you can do quests without needing to save every five second in case you run into something that can one shot you, and not just be able to steamroll everything.

That's the same issue Dragon's Dogma had.

But Dragon's Dogma somehow remains fun even when the challenge is gone (For me, at least).
---
Give me a good enough signature to use, and I'll replace this one.
#46HolyGravePosted 12/24/2012 12:03:30 PM
DignatoReRaised posted...
TILlegion777 posted...

That's the same issue Dragon's Dogma had.

But Dragon's Dogma somehow remains fun even when the challenge is gone (For me, at least).

Hard mode patch is out!!
---
That there's some good in this world... And it's worth fighting for.
Even the smallest person can change the course of the world.
#47De-PandoPosted 12/24/2012 12:04:49 PM
Skyrim lacks everything. Atmosphere, challenge, GOOD lore, good combat, and weapon customization. It only gets a big map advantage, and ive said it before, ill say it again- it's a lewis and clark imulator, only without ANY challenge. Skyrim is gray, boring and no fun. And thos dragons are so pathetic, a dredgling could kill the " final boss".
---
I keep waiting for Aldous Huxley's ghost to show up and say " I told you So!"
#48Shadow286Posted 12/24/2012 12:09:17 PM
KoolAssAssassin posted...
TheJarven posted...
BabySh0es posted...
or we could not mix them together at all, since i liked the atmosphere in dark souls more lol. skyrim was a pretty good game though

People about how Skyrim was "dark" which is technically true in comparison to oblivion. However, Dark Souls is far more intense and a lot darker. Lordran is so freaking depressing in comparison to Skyrim. There is no safe pocket of people anywhere, everywhere I've been to is full of demons trying to kill me.

The funny thing is the world of Dark Souls is like a warm summer day compared to the world of Demons Souls. In Dark Souls, you at least have areas like Anor Londo and the forests that seem nice and habitable. On top of that, humans seem to travel pretty freely between the different areas. In Demons Souls, pretty much every place out of the Nexus seemed like a death trap.

Kratier posted...
i dont think people understand that dark souls is just a generic rpg with zombies thrown in
skyrim had originality

How about you go ahead and name 5 RPGs just like Dark Souls then since it's so generic.

Demon's Souls, Castlevania: SOTN, Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus... Oh you're right. I can only name four.
#49DignatoReRaisedPosted 12/24/2012 12:16:26 PM
Shadow286 posted...

Demon's Souls, Castlevania: SOTN, Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus... Oh you're right. I can only name four.

In what universe is Shadow of the Colossus an RPG? >__>
---
Give me a good enough signature to use, and I'll replace this one.
#50EnigmaDurzoPosted 12/24/2012 12:21:32 PM
Shadow286 posted...
KoolAssAssassin posted...
TheJarven posted...
BabySh0es posted...
or we could not mix them together at all, since i liked the atmosphere in dark souls more lol. skyrim was a pretty good game though

People about how Skyrim was "dark" which is technically true in comparison to oblivion. However, Dark Souls is far more intense and a lot darker. Lordran is so freaking depressing in comparison to Skyrim. There is no safe pocket of people anywhere, everywhere I've been to is full of demons trying to kill me.

The funny thing is the world of Dark Souls is like a warm summer day compared to the world of Demons Souls. In Dark Souls, you at least have areas like Anor Londo and the forests that seem nice and habitable. On top of that, humans seem to travel pretty freely between the different areas. In Demons Souls, pretty much every place out of the Nexus seemed like a death trap.

Kratier posted...
skyrim had originality

How about you go ahead and name 5 RPGs just like Dark Souls then since it's so generic.

Demon Souls is part of the series. I'm not sure that counts. Dark Souls is nothing like Castlevania besides the fact that you fight monsters in the dark. DaS and MH have a better comparison but i'm not sure if MH counts as a "Dark Fantasy". DaS and Shadows only have the fact that they are dark. Even then their is more than 1 way to be a "dark Fantasy". Still only have 4 though hehehehe
---
"Whats the point of this again?'