This is what Skyrim lacked.

#61a687947Posted 12/24/2012 4:48:49 PM
Virtue777 posted...
Damian_Kain posted...

The thing that makes me laugh however is people always make these topics and I am pretty sure 95% of them are on the PS3 board (no surprise there). The board is so Anti-Skyrim it is funny as can be. I love the whine that Skyrim is bad when they got it on the PS3 but what can you do. I never see this many whiney troll complaints from anyone other than PS3 people. 360 Souls board has complaints but there is no way this bad ever. So there is no suprise here.

I have the PC master race version of Skyrim, and still think it's pretty bad in comparison to Dark Souls. Skyrim is just a generic RPG with no soul, it does nothing to stand out and make itself known. It's popular because of marketing and the appeal it has to those who like to turn their brain off and go into zombie-mode while they game. Those who REALLY want to play video games, don't play Skyrim. Playing Skyrim is more like watching an interactive movie. Those who actually want to play a game will play games that actually engage you as a player.

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, if you think Skyrim is like that then you either haven't played it or you didn't do anything at all other than the main quest
#62Cvdf3Posted 12/24/2012 4:55:00 PM
There is just something about Skyrim that makes it boring to play anymore. To be fair I haven't gone back to Morrowind or Oblivion, which I remember enjoying immensely, to see if they are boring to me too (I hope not :/).
Maybe my tastes have just changed.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#63Virtue777Posted 12/24/2012 6:18:57 PM
a687947 posted...
Virtue777 posted...
Damian_Kain posted...

The thing that makes me laugh however is people always make these topics and I am pretty sure 95% of them are on the PS3 board (no surprise there). The board is so Anti-Skyrim it is funny as can be. I love the whine that Skyrim is bad when they got it on the PS3 but what can you do. I never see this many whiney troll complaints from anyone other than PS3 people. 360 Souls board has complaints but there is no way this bad ever. So there is no suprise here.

I have the PC master race version of Skyrim, and still think it's pretty bad in comparison to Dark Souls. Skyrim is just a generic RPG with no soul, it does nothing to stand out and make itself known. It's popular because of marketing and the appeal it has to those who like to turn their brain off and go into zombie-mode while they game. Those who REALLY want to play video games, don't play Skyrim. Playing Skyrim is more like watching an interactive movie. Those who actually want to play a game will play games that actually engage you as a player.

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, if you think Skyrim is like that then you either haven't played it or you didn't do anything at all other than the main quest

I gave Skyrim a good chance and did more than the main quest. I did some sort of stealth quest chain, some long chain of quests involving werewolves, the main quest and a few other random things. The game is just boring, and only gets more boring as you play.

1) NPC talks to you and gives you a quest.
2) You follow objective markers until chain of quests is done.

That's Skyrim. It's boring. It's like an MMO, but without any of the social interaction that makes that sort of monotonous activity bearable.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#64a687947Posted 12/24/2012 7:00:13 PM
Virtue777 posted...
a687947 posted...
Virtue777 posted...
Damian_Kain posted...

I gave Skyrim a good chance and did more than the main quest. I did some sort of stealth quest chain, some long chain of quests involving werewolves, the main quest and a few other random things. The game is just boring, and only gets more boring as you play.

That's Skyrim. It's boring. It's like an MMO, but without any of the social interaction that makes that sort of monotonous activity bearable.

once again you don't know what you're talking about, that is nowhere near all there is to Skyrim
#65malicemizerfanPosted 12/24/2012 10:59:17 PM
a687947 posted...
Virtue777 posted...
a687947 posted...
Virtue777 posted...
Damian_Kain posted...

once again you don't know what you're talking about, that is nowhere near all there is to Skyrim

uh, yeah it is. you get your quest, you follow the marker, kill who or whatever is between you and it, kill/talk to/ place item/solve easy puzzle, collect reward. assuming the game has not glitched out and made the quest unfinishable, or frozen.
---
If you can see me smiling, you've already died. If I'm laughing, you might have a chance. If I'm quiet, I'm planning on how to get back to smiling.
#66CharonDynamiPosted 12/24/2012 11:50:50 PM
joeharamatheo posted...
TechnicallyFoul posted...
On a practical level, no Souls game could EVER be open world the same way Oblivion or Skyrim is. In order for the invasion/summoning mechanic to work, the world needs to be divided into smallish sections that can be sealed when an invasion begins, otherwise black phantoms would have to spend hours running through vast open fields in search of a player they may never find in time.

unless they used an open 'hub' that connects to instanced segments. they could even allow for semi-massive multiplayer in such an area, with full covenant interactions or multiplayer events

That would be pretty tight. Or you could section off the map so if someone was say by Whiterun you wouldn't invade at Winterhold. But I digress because something like that would be too awesome to exist.

I don't get why everyone is comparing Skyrim to DS. They are so far apart in gameplay and scope that it makes no sense. I mean Skyrim is a game with alot of narration, customization, and exploring. DS is all about gameplay and challenge. It would be like comparing ham to steak. Yes they are both meat (or games) but they are different meats and you should compare filet mignon to sirloin.

In short they are both good games with different goals please stop trying to force square piece into circle hole.
---
The boundlessness of my own stupidity is the greatest lesson I've ever learned.
#67Damian_KainPosted 12/25/2012 12:45:38 AM
I have to wonder, Dark souls has very little direction. My first time playing I got knocked into a pit and it ruined the game for me. The giant creepy serpent thing would not talk to me and something had followed me all the way down to it so I had NO idea of what I was supposed to do after that. I beat a few bosses and got lost. I never found out where I was supposed to go after that and I eventually restarted when the scaleless dragon would not appear in the room where he is supposed to be. I generally do not like going straight to walkthroughs but I am still not sure what I had done wrong that time as I could not progress after that. Now I will admit having your hand held all game is lame but at the same time having NO clue what to do since noone is saying anything or manipulating you in any way is not an upgrade. Lots of things could be fixed in that sense as I still to this day do not think I would have beat that game without online help.

Skyrim I can turn off my mind and just become immersed in a land where there is plenty of lore and people that have a reason to do what they do. I felt the souls game lacked that.

Also combat people say Skyrim is repetitive, I understand where they are coming from but when they say the Souls games are always exciting I have to laugh. Is it not a game where you can fight the same monsters over and over and over again to power up? Or when you fight a boss if you are lucky (and usually informed) you fight it only once. Most of the time the boss fights are the same thing over and over again until you get lucky and the foe fails to one hit you. Ornstern and Smog for example, that was a fight that I know people had to do OVER and OVER and OVER again, if you did not come with prior knowledge I don't think you beat that boss on the first try.

Once again I like the game, I just question why people here are so hostile. I am honestly amazed most PS3 users are still talking about this game with it going to XBOX and PC.
---
MHTri ID:QFBXWZ
For you, the day Bison graced your village, was the most important day of your life, but for me, it was.... Tuesday.
#68MagicTrufflezPosted 12/25/2012 1:08:58 AM
I personally just can't understand why some people just can't come to grips with the fact that Skyrim and DS are 2 totally different types of RPG's. DS is meant to be more about killing giant monsters (in awesome ways, I might add), and Elder Scrolls games are meant to be far more narrative driven than that (which they tend to be pretty decent at mostly).

Both games have very strong strengths and both games have pretty glaring weaknesses, but that's because they're both part of different sub-genres. Apples and Oranges bro...
---
MH Tri : Virbius --- HR 58ish
#69Cvdf3Posted 12/25/2012 1:23:08 AM(edited)
@ Damien Kain
Most Xbox and PC players are on this board instead of their own because it is easier for everyone to just use one board.

Skyrims combat consists of upping your stats (which are much more important than any strategy or skill in Skyrim) and pressing one or two buttons till whatever you are fighting (it doesn't matter since every enemy essentially acts the same as everything else you fight) is dead. That is what people mean when they say it's combat is repetitious.

Souls at least has some depth to the combat system and requires basic thought like timing and dodging. Not to mention there is a good deal of enemy variety and they tend to have different attack patterns and behavior.

Also you went to the wrong room to fight Seath, he only shows up there once.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#70a687947Posted 12/25/2012 1:39:19 AM
malicemizerfan posted...

uh, yeah it is. you get your quest, you follow the marker, kill who or whatever is between you and it, kill/talk to/ place item/solve easy puzzle, collect reward. assuming the game has not glitched out and made the quest unfinishable, or frozen.

so none of the crafting exists anymore? or the ability to just explore without an objective, or collect and read all the books that are in the game? when did they take all of that out? and there are also several quests in the game that don't have map markers did they remove those too? if you're just trying to bash the game by saying there isn't anything to it you sound completely ignorant