Should Dark Souls Win "Best Story"...

#11SythisTaruPosted 12/25/2012 4:17:33 AM
Most immersive story/game would fit it better.
#12BoozeHound59Posted 12/25/2012 4:19:32 AM
Even looking past the whole "vagueness for interpretation" bulls*** the fanboys love to tout, the lore isnt even that interesting. I could give a s*** about where Big Hat Logan came from and who those pyromancers are in Lost Izalith.
#13Cvdf3Posted 12/25/2012 4:44:57 AM
BoozeHound59 posted...
Even looking past the whole "vagueness for interpretation" bulls*** the fanboys love to tout, the lore isnt even that interesting. I could give a s*** about where Big Hat Logan came from and who those pyromancers are in Lost Izalith.

key word
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#14BoozeHound59Posted 12/25/2012 1:48:17 PM(edited)
Cvdf3 posted...
BoozeHound59 posted...

key word

Silly me giving an opinion in an opinion topic.

Let me fix that.

Who gives a s*** about where Big Hat Logan came from and who those pyromancers are in Lost Izalith.
#15Cvdf3Posted 12/25/2012 1:56:04 PM
BoozeHound59 posted...
Cvdf3 posted...
BoozeHound59 posted...

key word

Silly me giving an opinion in an opinion topic.

Let me fix that.

Who gives a s*** about where Big Hat Logan came from and who those pyromancers are in Lost Izalith.

Better. Now tell me why you don't care.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#16DaLaggaPosted 12/26/2012 12:17:29 AM
BoozeHound59 posted...

I couldn't agree more. During my first playthrough, I took my time, read most of the item descriptions, talked to all of the NPC's I could, etc. And guess what? By the time I was done I was left scratching my head and wondering what the hell just happened. My first thought was "did this game even have a story?". And that's a sign of some pretty terrible writing (or lack of hardly any writing at all) when a player can feel that way after finishing your game. Until I started looking up stuff online, I didn't even know there was a choice at the end.

The real problem was that even after I read up on the main plot and lore, most of it still didn't make any sense. It's so vague and fragmentary that you essentially have to invent your own plot and lore because it seems like the developers couldn't be bothered to do so on their own. It's just lazy game design. The real problem however is the way that the fanboys in the community try to defend this crap and act as if it's something deep and artistic. It sounds like the same people who liked the ME3 ending. Low standards I guess?

Cvdf3 posted...
Better. Now tell me why you don't care.

Well, I don't know about him. But for me, none of the tiny fragmentary pieces of lore were all that interesting anyway. It was all just generic dark fantasy stuff and without any real information to go on there was very little reason to care. None of the characters had any depth to them at all, none of the locations were explained or described well enough for me to care about them, and the main plot could literally be fully explained in a single paragraph without leaving any details out (yeah, it's that bland and brief).

Something like the codex in Mass Effect (nevermind the whole game) has about 20 times the amount of lore and story as Dark Souls does in the entire game. I think the plot/lore in DS could best be described as shallow and fragmentary and that just isn't good enough to make me care. Not everything has to be perfectly well explain and, in fact, leaving some mystery and plot points open to interpretation can greatly enhance a story (this is one of the reasons ME3's ending sucked so hard). But DS completely fails in this regard because it doesn't even provide the player with a basic coherent foundation for a story.
#17Titanite-DemonPosted 12/26/2012 12:22:29 AM
Lagga, tl;dr
I f***ing hate having to read paragraphs/text walls around here.
---
"Freud? Keloid? Just hit the damn key!"
- Vocaloids
#18Cvdf3Posted 12/26/2012 12:34:12 AM(edited)
I was kind of joking as to wanting to know why...
But I would disagree, partially anyway. The game does provide a foundation for a story at least; actually that seems to be a good way to describe the lore that you can find in the game, a foundation.

But there were other elements I was really impressed with: Ceasless Discharge looking sad and remorseful and only attacking you when you take the Gold Hemmed Set (which belonged to one of the witches which you find out, from I believe the Orange Charred Ring, that he was was their brother). This sad, disfigured creature sitting there mourning his family and he watches you pillage his sisters corpse.
Also the devs confirmed this.

and

The Enchanted Ember (and Rickerts (sp?) dialogue), Dusk and her stuff and dialogue, the ruins in Darkroot all lead to people wandering if Darkroot was the ruins of Oolacile. And it was.

Idk, DkS doesn't really so much as tell an epic tale revolving around your character but I really appreciate the detail they put into every aspect of the game giving you hints and clues as to what they are. Even if a lot of it ends up being speculation I find the "lore" in Dark Souls much more interesting than say Mass Effect. Sorry.
---
#19SolidKnightPosted 12/26/2012 12:32:29 AM
I like the story for one reason and one reason only: I don't have to sit through it. Video game stories are often trite and full of stupid and/or annoying characters. I'm glad I didn't have to sit through that crap in this game.
#20monstrePosted 12/26/2012 12:35:13 AM
The story is there, it's huge, but it's not shove in you're face. If you didn't realize there was one it's because you weren't interested in being part of the story (think of it has you role playing a guy who doesn't care about the story). Now the amount of lore is huge, but it's not all in the game so the actual amount seems small, but it's all there and you can piece it together if you think about it.

The story wasn't generic at all, only on the surface, but as soon you go any deep into it you found out it's completely different. Sure there demon, but there actually really new creation (like a thousands year) and were made by people, how's that for original, that's more original than anything that came out since.... I dunno earthbound?

As far as award, that really depend on what you use to measure "goodness" of story and also who you ask, people who aren't interested in reading up on story and piecing together will hate it, but people who wants to delve into it and discover things (and feel smart when they piece a mystery together rather than having it being heavily foreshadow until it's "revealed") will find it incredible. There's so much subtlety, that must takes so much time and effort to build up everything, even simple things like finding the rings behind the tombs of Artoras on a corpse, that hold a lot of information but it's just there.

By definition award are for things that can get a consensus, which is pretty much the opposite of everything that dark soul represent. It's a niche title in every way.
---
Are you an evil genius or a good idiot?