Which game has deeper lore: This or Skyrim?

#31-Damien-Posted 12/24/2012 2:03:23 PM
Who can stomach more than 2 hours of Skyrim with that piece of **** combat
#32DaLaggaPosted 12/24/2012 2:04:37 PM(edited)
HolyGrave posted...
Lol, watch ENB's lore videos.. There is a lot more than just some random names..

I finished the game twice and couldn't make much sense out of most of it. Even the main plot was vague and made no sense. Hell, I didn't even know there was a choice to be made until after I had finished my first run and read about it online. Anyway, I looked up several sources online so I could read up on the lore. Even after all of that, most of it still doesn't make any sense because there's so little to go on that it's pointless trying to connect all of it. Not that there's much to connect anyway because, as I said, the lore is extremely sparse to begin with.

It literally feels like the developers sat down for lunch one day to plan out the story/lore, wrote down some vague ideas on a napkin, and never expanded on them in the slightest when actually making the game. With Skyrim on the other hand, you've probably been exposed to 10 times the amount of lore after leaving the very first town than Dark Souls has in the entire game.
#33Comfy_PillowPosted 12/24/2012 2:04:11 PM
Probably Skyrim due to being part of TES series.

Does DS even explain anything in depth about the age of the dragons? Be it through items or whatever?

Or other areas of the world outside of where the game takes place?

/has only done one playthrough of the game.
#34HolyGravePosted 12/24/2012 2:12:08 PM
Comfy_Pillow posted...
Probably Skyrim due to being part of TES series.

Does DS even explain anything in depth about the age of the dragons? Be it through items or whatever?

Or other areas of the world outside of where the game takes place?

/has only done one playthrough of the game.

Yes, like i said before, watch Enb's lore videos
---
That there's some good in this world... And it's worth fighting for.
Even the smallest person can change the course of the world.
#3500SasoriPosted 12/24/2012 2:19:13 PM
Haven't played Dark Souls, but I'm going with Skyrim because I've literally spent hours reading the UESP wiki just to find out more. I also read most of the books I come across in Elder Scrolls games.
#36HolyGravePosted 12/24/2012 2:21:35 PM
00Sasori posted...
Haven't played Dark Souls, but I'm going with Skyrim because I've literally spent hours reading the UESP wiki just to find out more. I also read most of the books I come across in Elder Scrolls games.

Why the actual **** are you on the dark souls boards if you haven't played it?
---
That there's some good in this world... And it's worth fighting for.
Even the smallest person can change the course of the world.
#37BigHatLongCoatPosted 12/24/2012 2:24:49 PM
Quality v. Quantity

Dark Souls's lore is, by video game standards, extremely abstract and high concept. Very, very few games bring together Gameplay mechanics, Art direction, and Lore in the total, holistic way that the Souls games did, Dark Souls in particular. The minimalistic presentation of the lore makes it open to interpretation. This makes it a mystery for the player to solve and It's a unique way of facilitating genuine role playing. Also, I can't think of any media which treats that ultimate fantasy trope, Light vs. Dark, in as thoughtful a manner as Dark Souls did.

The Elder Scrolls has basically none of _this_ kind of depth. The Elder Scrolls is just a medieval fantasy world. That's not to say it's bad; it's actually one of the better Tolkien-derived medieval fantasy worlds despite being fairly generic. It has tons of history and the world is extremely rich in details. It's entertaining and enjoyable. For some people that's enough; Souls fans want more.
#38BigHatLongCoatPosted 12/24/2012 2:25:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#39BoozeHound59Posted 12/24/2012 2:26:00 PM
HolyGrave posted...
00Sasori posted...

Why the actual **** are you on the dark souls boards if you haven't played it?

Maybe he's checking out the community before he buys it? Derp
#40TILlegion777Posted 12/24/2012 2:26:16 PM
Because this is what you get when a topic hits the front page of GameFAQs: a bunch of people who don't know anything about the topic at hand. No offense to the guy who posted that, just how it is.
---
This is a unique signature.
I've put it here, so hopefully when you see it again you'll think "Oh yeah, that guy with the stupid signature!"