Which game has deeper lore: This or Skyrim?

#41Captain_QwarkPosted 12/24/2012 1:28:26 PM
BigHatLongCoat posted...
Quality v. Quantity

Dark Souls's lore is, by video game standards, extremely abstract and high concept. Very, very few games bring together Gameplay mechanics, Art direction, and Lore in the total, holistic way that the Souls games did, Dark Souls in particular. The minimalistic presentation of the lore makes it open to interpretation. This makes it a mystery for the player to solve and It's a unique way of facilitating genuine role playing. Also, I can't think of any media which treats that ultimate fantasy trope, Light vs. Dark, in as thoughtful a manner as Dark Souls did.

The Elder Scrolls has basically none of _this_ kind of depth. The Elder Scrolls is just a medieval fantasy world. That's not to say it's bad; it's actually one of the better Tolkien-derived medieval fantasy worlds despite being fairly generic. It has tons of history and the world is extremely rich in details. It's entertaining and enjoyable. For some people that's enough; Souls fans want more.

What the **** at this entire thing.

How is TES's lore not quality? There are plenty of topics in the world of TES that are open for interpretation. And there are many more topics/lore that are really fleshed out.
---
http://i.imgur.com/zbWHF.jpg http://i.imgur.com/QBpku.jpg
Proof that Qwark is a woman pleaser - http://vocaroo.com/i/s035cuIJgBiD <--Hermiione
#42LodissPosted 12/24/2012 1:31:20 PM
I love Dark Souls to death but cmon, there is probably more written about the history of the empire (Vol. I - IX) in Tamriel than the sum total of item descriptions in Dark Souls. There is just no contest. Skyrim beats you over the head with its lore, Dark Souls's lore could be described as mysterious at best.

I think Dark Souls is the better game, but you gotta be the worst kind of fanboy if you can't admit that Skyrim is the better library simulator.
---
You were indicted
#43CaliberChampPosted 12/24/2012 1:38:25 PM
36.36% of people on the dark souls boards are obviously biased. It's so freaking obvious to see that Skyrim has more in depth lore. More characters, more places, more things = deeper lore.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z
#44LodissPosted 12/24/2012 1:39:20 PM
^^^ hilarious
---
You were indicted
#45Number4RocketPosted 12/24/2012 1:41:00 PM
DaLagga posted...
HolyGrave posted...
Lol, watch ENB's lore videos.. There is a lot more than just some random names..

I finished the game twice and couldn't make much sense out of most of it.

This is the part where others question your ability to comprehend things rather than reconsider DkS, because you are WAY off.
#46DaLaggaPosted 12/24/2012 1:42:18 PM
BigHatLongCoat posted...
Quality v. Quantity

Dark Souls's lore is, by video game standards, extremely abstract and high concept. Very, very few games bring together Gameplay mechanics, Art direction, and Lore in the total, holistic way that the Souls games did, Dark Souls in particular. The minimalistic presentation of the lore makes it open to interpretation. This makes it a mystery for the player to solve and It's a unique way of facilitating genuine role playing. Also, I can't think of any media which treats that ultimate fantasy trope, Light vs. Dark, in as thoughtful a manner as Dark Souls did.

The Elder Scrolls has basically none of _this_ kind of depth. The Elder Scrolls is just a medieval fantasy world. That's not to say it's bad; it's actually one of the better Tolkien-derived medieval fantasy worlds despite being fairly generic. It has tons of history and the world is extremely rich in details. It's entertaining and enjoyable. For some people that's enough; Souls fans want more.

So let me get this straight. If I came up with a few dozen random names of people and places, made up a few details about each, and made a few of those details loosely connect with one another, you'd praise my story for being deep as well? I'm sorry, but a vague story with tiny pieces of fragmentary lore do not make for good roleplaying. It's not just open to interpretation. It's so vague that you practically have to invent your own story just to make sense of any of it. But if your'e going to do that, why not just write your own story to begin with?

Some of us prefer substance over bad bland writing that gets passed off as "art". It's like praising an "artist" who takes 15 minutes to splash some paint against a wall and then calling it a masterpiece while claiming that anyone who disagrees just isn't sophisticated enough to understand. Give me a break. Dark Souls's lore (and main plot, if you can even call it that) was half-assed at best and is dreadfully incomplete.
#47Number4RocketPosted 12/24/2012 1:43:28 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
. More characters, more places, more things = deeper lore.

Like I said, here come the different wavelengths.

More = deeper? Not to many.

A short novel can have more depth than the entire Rings trilogy, if the reader values thematic depth over countless details.
#48ShenGonPosted 12/24/2012 1:48:25 PM
I like both games but I they are two different types of games. if Skyrim had the same method of story telling as Dark Souls, it would be complete garbage. The game wasn't designed to hide behind mystery as the primary draw for its story. The reverse would also be true.

The story and lore of Skyrim is meant to experienced in a more role play fashion than Dark Souls. Events happen, you can ask people about those events or read books about them.

Dark souls is meant to be a somewhat less immersive role play experience. Do you know what events happened prior to even landing in prision? Was your character married? What was the name of the country or kingdom your character was from? What was the political situation like in the world? The gameplay and adventure is the main focus for Dark Souls. The story or lore is designed to only enhance that.
---
"Does Heaven wish us to destroy ourselves?"
Liu Bei, Kessen II
#49Comfy_PillowPosted 12/24/2012 1:48:28 PM
Number4Rocket posted...
CaliberChamp posted...
. More characters, more places, more things = deeper lore.

Like I said, here come the different wavelengths.

More = deeper? Not to many.

A short novel can have more depth than the entire Rings trilogy, if the reader values thematic depth over countless details.

more detail = depth.

Dark souls would describe a person with their name, where they're from and their attitude. TES would do that along with give their entire life story and history of where they came from.

Both lore's are good but as for the topic of which is deeper. It's not just debatable as DS just doesn't have the material and it's not DS's style to go into depth on things.
#50Number4RocketPosted 12/24/2012 1:53:45 PM
Comfy_Pillow posted...

more detail = depth.

The problem is that's not true.

If I give you a list of all the things an NPC ate in the past 5 months, a list of all his relatives, and other countless details that aren't actually compelling or interesting, all it does is add fluff/filler.

Depth is not merely amount.