Rumor: DarkSouls Difficulty has been massively nerfed since release....

#1JirynPosted 1/3/2013 12:05:45 PM
So yesterday I was talking to a friend who turned up their nose about DarkSouls.
She went on to say how the game has been massively nerfed and changed since released and used to be 2-3 times harder.
Of these changes things listed were like
Silver Knights would one hit you EVEN while you were shield blocking
The invisible boss would stay invisible the entire fight, barely if ever becoming visible if you saw her.
More enemies.
etc etc.

I've had the game since release, and I don't remember this. I've always remember Silver Knights being able to completely stam drain you then kick your ass, but never 1 hit through shields..

Anyways, while I don't believe such rumors.. I thought I'd ask people more in the know since I had to recently re-acquire the game.

.... Looks like they're playing the PC version >_>
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2Dex_PyromaniacPosted 1/3/2013 12:07:35 PM
It wasnt as bad as she makes it sound, but yeah, it was definitely quite a bit harder. I like the approach they took with dlc though, because the bosses and enemies they added are way more aggressive and more what id love to see in dks2
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dexpyro <===== Dark Souls stuff
#3d3dsightPosted 1/3/2013 12:07:48 PM
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/game-patches
#4Chrome_AdaPosted 1/3/2013 12:08:48 PM
The above rumors are untrue. However, they have DEFINITELY improved drop rates! Also, the skeletons and ghosts used to not give you any souls, but now they do.
---
Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.--TOOL, "Right in Two"
#5m415mikePosted 1/3/2013 12:12:47 PM
It was absolutely not that much harder. Even if the only thing From did was nerf the enemies, it still wasn't too bad. The difficulty increase was completely off-set by the incredibly powerful bugs and pre-nerf pyromancies.
#6AhrimanPosted 1/3/2013 12:14:51 PM
It's easier in ways now, harder in others. There's no leveling glitch now, the Hollow Soldier Shield doesn't have 80ish stability fully upgraded, strong magic shield doesn't make you invulnerable. Bosses are easier in ways though; for example Smough and Ornstein damage scales somewhat with your HP now and they won't one-shot you with an attack at full health - at low Vit, they used to. Bosses also give more souls now. Curse doesn't stack like it used to, but on the other hand elemental weapons do less damage etc. - lots of ways it's harder, lots it's easier. Overall it's just more balanced now.
---
Chikubi ga itai. Hontou ni- Mattaku kayuku itai. Bakuzen to aamondo to niru...
#7turtle225Posted 1/3/2013 12:18:54 PM
I never played the game unpatched, but people say that those super giant dragon like monsters in lost izalith use to kick your butt due to having a much wider aggro range.

Now you can walk through the whole place without fighting a single one.
---
,=,e
#8lucky_sharm19Posted 1/3/2013 12:19:03 PM
It was easier before, if anything. DWGR essentially made you an agile tank, making cloth armor pointless.
---
PSN: GSPhantom
Shall we dance, my darling?
#9retrogameaudioPosted 1/3/2013 12:22:20 PM
There were patches that made some parts of PvE quite easier. However, none of those examples you recall her saying are correct.

-The aggro range of the Undead Dragon Legs in Lost Izalith was significantly reduced, making the lava area much easier.
-There used to be an offline, Gravelord infection built into the Painted World.
-Skeletons dropped zero souls. Arguably made the catacombs slightly easier, because you can easily tell when you've perma-killed a skeleton by seeing if you get souls from one.

But at the same time, things that gave the player ridiculous advantages were also patched out. BB glitch, Dragon Head glitch, fog ring nerfed, crystal ring shield nerfed, pyro slightly nerfed, Dark Wood Grain Ring nerfed, elemental, family masks... Etc.

So a few people will lament some changes that made the game easier, but they're hardly significant and don't change to overall difficulty THAT much. :)
#10Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 12:23:34 PM
lucky_sharm19 posted...
It was easier before, if anything. DWGR essentially made you an agile tank, making cloth armor pointless.

DWGR? What is that?
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.