Rumor: DarkSouls Difficulty has been massively nerfed since release....

#11tlnPosted 1/3/2013 11:30:11 AM
The game was easier before because of three reasons:

- Homing Crystal Soulmass was super OP
- Pyromancy was even more OP than it is now
- You could ninja flip with 50% equip load

Some things are more convenient now such as getting certain items, but I wouldn't say that the game is easier.
#12Chrome_AdaPosted 1/3/2013 11:30:38 AM
retrogameaudio posted...
-There used to be an offline, Gravelord infection built into the Painted World.

Really? Only on NG+, or what? I've been Gravelorded in the Painted World many times before, but I'm certain I was online. Now that I think of it, I can't recall ever actually facing a GL servant there before. But Christ, Almighty, those red wheelie skeletons.....
---
Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.--TOOL, "Right in Two"
#13m415mikePosted 1/3/2013 11:31:36 AM
Marblesbunbun posted...
lucky_sharm19 posted...
It was easier before, if anything. DWGR essentially made you an agile tank, making cloth armor pointless.

DWGR? What is that?

Dark wood grain ring. Gives you a ninja-flip if you are under 25% equip-burden. It used to be 50%, and that was ridiculous. You were able to have some ridiculously heavy armor and still have the best mobility.
#14ChaoticKnucklesPosted 1/3/2013 11:33:52 AM
Marblesbunbun posted...
lucky_sharm19 posted...
It was easier before, if anything. DWGR essentially made you an agile tank, making cloth armor pointless.

DWGR? What is that?

Dark Wood Grain Ring if I'm not mistaken. It used to make you do a flipping animation when you dodged if you were under 50% equip rate but now the bonus only kicks in at under 25% equip rate like fast rolling.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#15SolidKnightPosted 1/3/2013 11:34:45 AM
Pre-patch made some things easier and some things harder. The patches got rid of a lot of ways to cheese the game.
* Crystal Ring Shield nerfed
* Iron Flesh nerfed
* Tranquil Walk of Peace nerfed
* Strong Magic Shield nerfed
* Ring of Fog nerfed
* Pyromancy nerfed
* Dark Wood Grain Ring nerfed
* Dusk's armor nerfed
* Shields nerfed
* Stunlock nerfed
* Elemental weapons nerfed
* Chain backstabbing nerfed
* Prism stone buy and sell prices were adjusted so you couldn't sell them to Frampt at a gain.
* Glitches that made the game super easy were removed

However they also:
* Decreased many enemies' HP and poise
* Enemy aggro range reduced
* Some enemy locations were changed
* Humanity and homeward bones given after boss battles (reduces grinding and facilitates online)
* Increased souls obtained overall (just reduces grinding)
* Made items drop more frequently (just reduces grinding)

The two changes you mentioned never existed. Silver Knights never had a move that would one-shot you through a shield. Priscilla becoming visible depends on how often you hit her.
#16Hellfire-1Posted 1/3/2013 11:37:31 AM
Pre-patches, you could effectively iron flesh your way through every single boss.

Not anymore T_T
---
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#17The moonlight knightPosted 1/3/2013 11:37:49 AM
As some have said, I think the patches made the game harder overall. Tweaking some soul gains to be higher, having bosses drop humanity/homeward bones, lowering aggro range of zombie dragon legs, making ghosts/skeletons give souls, preventing curse-stacking, making arrows more readily available from more merchants... I think these pale in comparison to nerfing the hell out of the overpowered antiquated skirt, repeatedly nerfing elemental weapons, nerfing iron flesh into the ground, heavily nerfing pyromancy, fixing crystal ring shield glitch which was stupidly overpowered, heavily nerfing DWGR... Stuff like that.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#18moodyjm2Posted 1/3/2013 11:44:45 AM
m415mike posted...
It was absolutely not that much harder. Even if the only thing From did was nerf the enemies, it still wasn't too bad. The difficulty increase was completely off-set by the incredibly powerful bugs and pre-nerf pyromancies and elementals.

Fixed.

All you had to do was VIT and END gouge because pyro and elementals were so freakin' powerful.

Oh yeah, Strong Magic Shield made you invincible for 30 seconds.
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
#19DarthSchubertPosted 1/3/2013 11:59:44 AM
No the things your friend said are not true. Silver Knights were never one hit killing players, Priscilla always turned invisible/visible at the same rate, etc. Others have posted some of the changes to some specific enemies however. Those were more tweaks than massive nerfs.

Now, they definitely jumped the number of souls you got for killing a lot of enemies, and also massively improved drop rates on some key items. But most of the actual combat mechanics have stayed the same.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#20matrichaPosted 1/3/2013 12:46:51 PM
i dont quiet agree with the statement. i was away from the game for few months, got back to it after new DLC and honestly i found it a bit more difficult, so many things got nerfed.
of course i still enjoy it.