Rumor: DarkSouls Difficulty has been massively nerfed since release....

#21LivesPosted 1/3/2013 2:06:06 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
It wasnt as bad as she makes it sound, but yeah, it was definitely quite a bit harder. I like the approach they took with dlc though, because the bosses and enemies they added are way more aggressive and more what id love to see in dks2

Agreed with all points :)

I do think beating it when it was out earlier was more difficult, and more of an accomplishment to many people, if they were not glitching or cheating.
#22AlbinoCrocodilePosted 1/3/2013 2:15:30 PM
Grinding has nothing to do with difficulty anyways.

Before the patches, the game could be breezed through with the things that were available. Iron Flesh/SMS/Ring Shield namely.
---
Miss Albino at your service.
#23westergoonPosted 1/3/2013 2:21:58 PM
My personal favorite:

The gate-closing dredgling in the Parish used to permanently re-spawn pre-1.03.

My not so personal favorite:

Farming titanite slabs pre 1.03 took

foooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr
---
HEY GURL
#24gamingbot87210Posted 1/3/2013 2:33:06 PM
since release the main nerf for the single player is definately the dinosaurs in lost izalith, they used to absolutely kick your ass, now they just stand there, also the giant in sens fortress that throws the fire boulders, at release it was like 1 second and an exploding boulder was on your head, now the giant waits like 5 seconds before throwing anything

they've also made it easier to start off with an overpowered weapon, now that vamos sells titanite shards all you've gotta do is run to the catacombs pickup the green shard on the way to vamos, use a few soul items and upgrade your weapon to a fire weapon
#25LivesPosted 1/3/2013 2:38:14 PM
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
Grinding has nothing to do with difficulty anyways.

Before the patches, the game could be breezed through with the things that were available. Iron Flesh/SMS/Ring Shield namely.

This is true... the Crystal Ring Shield was just ridiculous before the patches nerfed it into the ground. It's still a good shield for what it is though. It was definitely OP before.
#26Dex_PyromaniacPosted 1/3/2013 2:42:26 PM
You guys are missing a pretty important thing though. Pre patches, base equip load was like 9 units less than now for all classes. This basically meant that even the lightest starter class (namely thief) couldnt fast roll in all its gear lol Also Im pretty sure each point of endurance gave less equip load but I might be wrong here.
---
GT - Dex Pyromaniac
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dexpyro <===== Dark Souls stuff
#27LivesPosted 1/3/2013 2:53:45 PM
Dex_Pyromaniac posted...
You guys are missing a pretty important thing though. Pre patches, base equip load was like 9 units less than now for all classes. This basically meant that even the lightest starter class (namely thief) couldnt fast roll in all its gear lol Also Im pretty sure each point of endurance gave less equip load but I might be wrong here.

I don't know about the last sentence in your post... but you are entirely correct about the first point. That was definitely a huge, welcome change. Although, I was somewhat angry when they nerfed some of my favorite armor to compensate, but it was a worthy tradeoff for sure.
#28VidmorPosted 1/3/2013 3:02:03 PM
I played unpatched when the game first came out, on account of no internet, but I can't tell much of a difference in terms of how dangerous enemies are. I know certain things have been scaled back, as mentioned, but as far as I can tell the entire game hasn't been adjusted downward to accommodate players. I think things just had the illusion of greater difficulty as it was all foreign and new, just like the DLC did when it first came out.
#29LivesPosted 1/3/2013 3:11:51 PM
Vidmor posted...
I played unpatched when the game first came out, on account of no internet, but I can't tell much of a difference in terms of how dangerous enemies are. I know certain things have been scaled back, as mentioned, but as far as I can tell the entire game hasn't been adjusted downward to accommodate players. I think things just had the illusion of greater difficulty as it was all foreign and new, just like the DLC did when it first came out.

Nope... it was definitely more difficult. If I recall correctly, every enemy also dropped fewer souls as well. combine that with lower equip burden, and it was tough. Also, at that point, you are correct... the wikis were not full, but we still had the strategy guide (at least I did... I have no idea why so many people were against it, it's still a good reference for new players, even if the armor and weapons are slightly outdated now).

There were some things that did make the game easier though. As some people said earlier, Crystal Ring Shield made S&O an absolute joke, Pyromancy damage was insane as well, and elemental damage weapons had significantly higher damage output before the DLC and patch of 1.06. DWGR was too good as well, and the family masks were also superior.... add that to higher armor if upgraded, and it could have been slightly easier if you were to know what equipment to get.

However, for most new players, the game was more difficult simply because the game didn't give you as many items after defeating bosses (homeward bones, humanity), less items scattered around (or reduced count... think the humanity at firelink). Also... less invulnerability frames in ALL rolls. Item farming was much more tedious before rarity of drops were adjusted for most enemies as well. Ability to join Sunbro covenant used to be harder (not that it made the game more difficult, but it was cool to see those signs...they were hard to find...used to mean you found someone who knew what they were doing as a summoned phantom). Add that stuff, and that you couldn't buy certain items (no Master Key from Domhnall if you didn't pick it as a gift...you'd be SOL) and had less souls to deal with... I do think the game was more difficult when it was first released.
#30singhellotakuPosted 1/3/2013 3:16:11 PM
The only real changes have been adding several new teleport points and reducing the aggro range of the dragon legs in lost izalith, that was a nightmare to get through before the patch if you were a melee build, the silver knights were never a ohk, though there weapons used to be better when they had bonus elemental damage linked to them.