Is Demon's Souls easier than Dark Souls?

#51AlbinoCrocodilePosted 1/4/2013 3:47:09 AM
NateRose89 posted...
The harder game is the one you play first. That's it. Anyone saying otherwise is plain wrong.

Actually you're pretty wrong.
---
Miss Albino at your service.
#52MikeoftheDesertPosted 1/4/2013 5:01:54 AM
Demon Souls is a harder, to some extent.
---
http://eu.battle.net/d3/it/profile/Sabaku-2183/hero/15448949
http://eu.battle.net/d3/it/profile/Sabaku-2183/hero/2769659
#53MegamanXUltimatPosted 1/4/2013 5:05:25 AM
NateRose89 posted...
The harder game is the one you play first. That's it. Anyone saying otherwise is plain wrong.

I played/finished Demon's Souls first, yet I found Dark Souls harder so yeah
---
PSN: XMega-Ultimate
#54SolidKnightPosted 1/4/2013 5:06:52 AM
Asellusa posted...
And stuck lock works great with the BP in the prison.

Works great with all of them.
#55GmanPosted 1/4/2013 5:37:56 AM
I played DeS back when it came out, never got really good at it, but beat it enough to platinum trophy.

I just got DkS recently, and I found it difficult, but not as difficult as I found DeS when I first played it. Maybe it was because I was used to that type of game already though.

That being said, Dark Souls is less linear, which means a newb can wander to some pretty dangerous areas where death is guaranteed, but I found you could build more powerful weapons in DkS.

Demons souls cheeses you more. Some of the boss fights are in tight areas where there's little room to dodge. The maneater fight was extremely tough because one wrong roll, and you fall. I also found the bosses and black phantoms did more damage to you.

in DeS, the carry limit was extremely frustrating because you had to decide what to dump if you didn't have enough room. Also, people talk about the herbs in DeS and how you have unlimited healing, but you really don't until later in the game. Early on, you get mostly crescents, which only heal a small portion of your health - much less than even the weakest estus flask. In DkS you may have limited healing, but it's easy to get that up to 15-20 strong healing items AUTOMATICALLY replenished at a bonfire, where in DeS you only have what you are carrying, once they are gone, you're screwed.

Then again, in DeS your equip burden only had 2 tiers... under 50% or over. So you could be at 49% EB and still fast roll. In DkS, you had to be under 25% which meant you had to wear light armor.

Everyone will have differing opinions based on which they played first, and which they personally found harder. There is no neutral view here. You can't play both without having bias towards one or the other. And if you haven't played both, then you aren't qualified to comment on difficulty.
#56d3dsightPosted 1/4/2013 5:41:23 AM
My short answer:

DeS has harder 'levels'
DkS has harder bosses
#57nedrithPosted 1/4/2013 5:49:46 AM
d3dsighat posted...
My short answer:

DeS has harder 'levels'
DkS has harder bosses

I would mostly agree with this. However I will say that I found DeS to be the more creative in terms of bosses(and levels). all of the end bosses in each of the worlds were great and then there were a few nice ones in between.

Even as a mage with the high end shielding spell in Des I found the unlimited healing items not to be a big help, generally a pain to replenish the high end ones and for the most part finding time to use them in the middle of a boss battle was sometimes hard or the boss had a habit of one shotting or just killing quick with a fast combo.
#58NicoJay6Posted 1/4/2013 6:25:07 AM
I played DeS first and personally consider it the easier game. My two main reasons?

1. Running in DeS feels like running as opposed to the light jog of DkS. This makes a difference in that one can (kind of) run rings around the enemy in all but the tightest spaces.

2. From the run one can immediately dodge as opposed to DkS jump. For me this makes a huge difference. I run around more recklessly in Boletaria and get away with it than in Lordran.
*Note* For my play style Valley of Defilement was a bit of a kill joy, on the plus side that atmosphere, WOW :).

Other reasons, as have been posted, lots of healing grass, easily obtainable magic spamming, easily obtainable arrow spamming, cheesing opportunities.

Funnily enough the two main reasons I find DeS easier are the main reasons I prefer it to DkS, I'm casual like that :).
#59MechaNapoleonPosted 1/4/2013 6:42:19 AM
Dark is only harder due to a slight bit more randomness (or more overwhelming numbers), whereas Demon's is almost scripted to a fault. So I agree, at least for the first clueless playthroughs.

Still, the only area of the two I absolutely dread playing in is Demon's stupid 5-2 swamp (completely avoid Giant Troll Island). And the only boss I find nerve-racking (without cheating it) is False King Allant. So I guess I have to disagree overall.
#60NateRose89Posted 1/4/2013 7:24:42 AM
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
NateRose89 posted...

Actually i'm right. They're the same game, with the same mechanics, similar weapons, a lot of similar boss strategies and similar stylistic level layout. Anyone who doesn't think the first one you play is harder is a moron.
---
"I am no knight. I spit on them and their vows." Sandor Clegane, 1996.