Is Demon's Souls easier than Dark Souls?

#61d3dsightPosted 1/4/2013 8:34:35 AM
NateRose89 posted...
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
NateRose89 posted...
The harder game is the one you play first. That's it. Anyone saying otherwise is plain wrong.

Actually you're pretty wrong.

Actually i'm right. They're the same game, with the same mechanics, similar weapons, a lot of similar boss strategies and similar stylistic level layout. Anyone who doesn't think the first one you play is harder is a moron.

Which one is harder the second time you play it? The one you play for the second time first? What if I play Demon's Souls NG+++ before Dark Souls NG++, but then play Dark Souls NG+++? I just want to make sure I'm not a moron.
#62ThreesixtyciPosted 1/4/2013 8:43:52 AM
I don' t think anyone has mentioned that half your HP goes missing in Demon's Souls when you're undead. Nor that World Tendency resets to that of the server, whenever your exit and restart the game.
#63WATAUGACJPosted 1/4/2013 9:02:20 AM
Without cheesing the bosses or duping, Demon's is definitely harder IMO, and I played Dark first. Not to mention, farming is a lot more tedious in Demon's.
---
PSN: WATAUGACJ, DomhnallOfZena
#64LivesPosted 1/4/2013 9:25:58 AM
I think it's harder if you're not very good with the actual gameplay. Reason being is if you keep dying, the world gets tougher.... enemies have more HP and deal more damage, and then half the time you're in soul mode, so your HP is sliced in half (you can get a ring to reduce the penalty to 25% in the first area in the game). That and you have to start farming or buying lots of health items if you are using a lot of them.

But it is a great experience, and definitely a solid game for anyone who has played Dark Souls and wants more. If you have played Dark Souls and enjoyed it and are wondering whether or not to play Demon's Souls, then I say go buy it. You will enjoy it.
#65igashijinPosted 1/4/2013 11:18:03 AM
5-2 is awful; beyond that, I'm not sure.

Honestly, I struggled more with Demon Souls; but I put a lot more effort into Dark Souls. Demon souls had some really difficult areas-- The Boletarian Palace -3 is an example of a pretty nasty difficulty spike.

Objectively, though, difficulty spikes like that that occurs at Sen's in Dark Souls are probably more difficult.
---
To dis examartein ouk andros sopho.
#66RyoKaibaPosted 1/4/2013 11:26:13 AM
If you don't abuse the dupe glitch, then yeah; it's harder.
---
"Hate the sin, love the sinner. But sometimes it's hard to look past all that sin and find the person behind it." -Joshua Graham; Fallout: NV
#67McJephPosted 1/4/2013 11:30:58 AM(edited)
I think based on this thread - it is pretty safe to assume that there is no solid answer as to which game is harder.

I thought Dark Souls was easy. I didn't even find it challenging and there was no point in the game where I really got mad or stuck.

Mind you - I played Demon's Souls a ton so I probably had adapted to the mechanics.

I want to say there are more traps and easy places to die if you are not careful in Demon's Souls.

I personally believe Dark Souls is easier. Others will tell you Demon's Souls. Everyone will have a different opinion.

There are also still glitches and what-not available in Demon's Souls to make the playthrough easy. There are also "cheesing" tactics. However, if you play it like it is "meant" to be played - I believe Demon's Souls is easily the harder game. I think each game has a couple difficult bosses.

If you are undead you only have 50% of your health, which makes it easier to be one-shot to death. Especially in NG+. Some areas will frustrate you if you're not ready for them - especially in NG+. You have more healing options in Demon's Souls - but it is also easier to die.
#68AlbinoCrocodilePosted 1/4/2013 4:34:33 PM
NateRose89 posted...
AlbinoCrocodile posted...
NateRose89 posted...
The harder game is the one you play first. That's it. Anyone saying otherwise is plain wrong.

Actually you're pretty wrong.

Actually i'm right. They're the same game, with the same mechanics, similar weapons, a lot of similar boss strategies and similar stylistic level layout. Anyone who doesn't think the first one you play is harder is a moron.

Nah you're still wrong.

And remind me of a certain youtuber.
---
Miss Albino at your service.
#69Crimson681Posted 1/4/2013 5:47:15 PM(edited)
The boss fights in Demon's Souls are definitely harder, if you don't cheese them. I felt like the enemies were more dangerous in Demon's Souls also. Lots of stuff could 1hko you very easily.

Starting off in 1-1, the red eye knight, every noob's worst knightmare, 1hko.

1-2, dragon fire, 1hko. Enter 5-1, the large deprived could 1hko you easily with a club hit near the beginning of the game, and also plague rats, GGs if they bite you and you can't heal it. 3-1 the octopus mages can 1hko you with the grab attack if they land the stun ball first. The BP skeleton in 4-1 could 1hko you by sneezing on you, and either of the 2 dual kat skeletons could 1hko you, and of course the big guy with the axe, 1hko. Even later in the game in 1-4, ninjas could backstab you 1hko, fat officials could 1hko, red eye knight could also, and then the dragon breath. Most mobs in 1-4 had the potential to 1hko you.

World tendency = Pure Black and enemies were far more deadly in Demon's Souls than in Dark Souls. Dying in a level in human form made the left shift toward black, making enemies stronger if you died. Its a way of kicking a bad player while they are already laying on the ground.

Yeah Demon's Souls was definitely more hard core.
#70acangialPosted 1/4/2013 5:49:50 PM
Crimson681 posted...
The boss fights in Demon's Souls are definitely harder, if you don't cheese them. I felt like the enemies were more dangerous in Demon's Souls also. Lots of stuff could 1hko you very easily.

Starting off in 1-1, the red eye knight, every noob's worst knightmare, 1hko.

1-2, dragon fire, 1hko. Enter 5-1, the large deprived could 1hko you easily with a club hit near the beginning of the game, and also plague rats, GGs if they bite you and you can't heal it. 3-1 the octopus mages can 1hko you with the grab attack if they land the stun ball first. The BP skeleton in 4-1 could 1hko you by sneezing on you, and either of the 2 dual kat skeletons could 1hko you, and of course the big guy with the axe, 1hko. Even later in the game in 1-4, ninjas could backstab you 1hko, fat officials could 1hko, red eye knight could also, and then the dragon breath. Most mobs in 1-4 had the potential to 1hko you.

World tendency = Pure Black and enemies were far more deadly in Demon's Souls than in Dark Souls.

Yeah Demon's Souls was definitely more hard core.

I think Dark Souls is a little more difficult. Hardcore? Not sure what that means anymore. However, I am definitely with you on the Reg Eye Knight and Skeles.......
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man