Is Demon's Souls easier than Dark Souls?

#71Crimson681Posted 1/4/2013 6:02:26 PM(edited)
acangial posted...
Crimson681 posted...
The boss fights in Demon's Souls are definitely harder, if you don't cheese them. I felt like the enemies were more dangerous in Demon's Souls also. Lots of stuff could 1hko you very easily.

Starting off in 1-1, the red eye knight, every noob's worst knightmare, 1hko.

1-2, dragon fire, 1hko. Enter 5-1, the large deprived could 1hko you easily with a club hit near the beginning of the game, and also plague rats, GGs if they bite you and you can't heal it. 3-1 the octopus mages can 1hko you with the grab attack if they land the stun ball first. The BP skeleton in 4-1 could 1hko you by sneezing on you, and either of the 2 dual kat skeletons could 1hko you, and of course the big guy with the axe, 1hko. Even later in the game in 1-4, ninjas could backstab you 1hko, fat officials could 1hko, red eye knight could also, and then the dragon breath. Most mobs in 1-4 had the potential to 1hko you.

World tendency = Pure Black and enemies were far more deadly in Demon's Souls than in Dark Souls.

Yeah Demon's Souls was definitely more hard core.

I think Dark Souls is a little more difficult. Hardcore? Not sure what that means anymore. However, I am definitely with you on the Reg Eye Knight and Skeles.......

I started out with again, SL 15 and ran to join the dragon covenant and I got hit by the breath attack from the hydra and lived, had a sliver of health, but lived. SL 15 was way underleveled for that area, and I didn't even get 1hko'd. In Demon's Souls I would have been hit hard enough to be 1hko'd 3 times over.

Dark Souls is far too forgiving, I survived some attacks I shouldn't have even on my SL 1 game. There were a lot of those WTF moments in my SL1 run, and all of the WTF moments were "I actually survived that?" You figure White knights in Anor londo should be able to 1hko a level 1, right? Wrong, I was able to survive 1 hit from them.

Nobody can tell me mobs in Dark Souls are anywhere near as deadly.

And Man Eaters are far tougher than any boss in Dark Souls. They make S&O look like push overs. You can be overleveled in that fight, and they can still knock you off the bridge 1hko, which can happen VERY easily if you make a single mistake.
#72acangialPosted 1/4/2013 6:01:34 PM
Crimson681 posted...
acangial posted...
Crimson681 posted...
The boss fights in Demon's Souls are definitely harder, if you don't cheese them. I felt like the enemies were more dangerous in Demon's Souls also. Lots of stuff could 1hko you very easily.

Starting off in 1-1, the red eye knight, every noob's worst knightmare, 1hko.

1-2, dragon fire, 1hko. Enter 5-1, the large deprived could 1hko you easily with a club hit near the beginning of the game, and also plague rats, GGs if they bite you and you can't heal it. 3-1 the octopus mages can 1hko you with the grab attack if they land the stun ball first. The BP skeleton in 4-1 could 1hko you by sneezing on you, and either of the 2 dual kat skeletons could 1hko you, and of course the big guy with the axe, 1hko. Even later in the game in 1-4, ninjas could backstab you 1hko, fat officials could 1hko, red eye knight could also, and then the dragon breath. Most mobs in 1-4 had the potential to 1hko you.

World tendency = Pure Black and enemies were far more deadly in Demon's Souls than in Dark Souls.

Yeah Demon's Souls was definitely more hard core.

I think Dark Souls is a little more difficult. Hardcore? Not sure what that means anymore. However, I am definitely with you on the Reg Eye Knight and Skeles.......

I started out with again, SL 15 and ran to join the dragon covenant and I got hit by the breath attack from the hydra and lived, had a sliver of health, but lived. SL 15 was way underleveled for that area, and I didn't even get 1hko'd. In Demon's Souls I would have been hit hard enough to be 1hko'd 3 times over.

That not always true. Did you beat Hellkite Dragon after 1.05 where it was necessary to kill him through melee. I can't tell you how many times I died to his one shot firebreath until I finally learned what the trick was to beat him.

How about the that silly round boss in Demon's Souls, I think it was level 4--1 or 2 where you could just stay under his fat belly and melee him to death with ease.

I think both games have their very hard and easy areas.

I believe we can both agree that both games are awesome.
---
He brings whale sushi and panda kebabs to vegan potlucks - World's Most Interesting Man
#73sirch98Posted 1/4/2013 6:08:51 PM
Demon's souls is harder in the sense that you can die a lot faster then dark souls, but unlike dark souls after every encounter you can easily fully heal again without worry.

Dark souls is harder in the survival way, you only have 20 at most heals, you have to make them last by not getting hit, you might die a little slower but you don't have 99 major heals, 99 full heals, 99 full heals and stat restore, and 99 minor magic recovery and 99 max magic recover.

I personally think Demon's Souls is easier, Magic in that game is easy mode, and armor doesn't matter at all so you can go naked from the start and just use any weapon, the only thing harder is burden, you can't carry every item in the game in DS
---
I'm going to buy you so many lizards!-Philip J. Fry
PSN:Reaven1911
#74Crimson681Posted 1/4/2013 6:12:24 PM
Hellkite dragon was never a problem for me, and I think they nerfed his breath damage?

Shoot him once with a bow, and that baits him into jumping down near the middle where you can melee him, or get a better shot on him with spells. I usually wait till end game to do it, meaning I'm hitting like a truck. Or you can cheese him like any other boss, and use dark bead. I 1hko'd him with dark bead on my INT build.

And the Adjudicator was the particular boss you are talking about from Demon's Souls. To a new player, that fight isn't exactly obvious, you start above him, and he can tongue whip you, and can actually 1hko you with his machete attack at low levels.
#75Crimson681Posted 1/4/2013 6:21:15 PM
sirch98 posted...
Demon's souls is harder in the sense that you can die a lot faster then dark souls, but unlike dark souls after every encounter you can easily fully heal again without worry.

Dark souls is harder in the survival way, you only have 20 at most heals, you have to make them last by not getting hit, you might die a little slower but you don't have 99 major heals, 99 full heals, 99 full heals and stat restore, and 99 minor magic recovery and 99 max magic recover.

Playing the game normally you don't start out in a position to get those immediately, and you have to conserve your items more carefully, because you can't just go back to a bonfire and restore your flasks/spells. Sure you can have loads of healing items in your inventory, it doesn't mean that you are going to need them. And grass doesn't help you if you get 1hko'd or fall off an edge. Also, you die in Demon's Souls, you go back to the start of the section. You could be near the end of a very annoying level, and die, and have to do it ALL over. In Dark souls, there are multiple bonfires per section in many areas.
#76Crimson681Posted 1/4/2013 6:34:16 PM(edited)
And people using the "magics are OP" argument in Demon's souls, well they are OP in Dark Souls too. Dark Bead anyone? Pyromancy anyone? Heck you can be a character not even centered around spells, and grab a pyroflame and own stuff with spells. Spells are far more OP in Dark Souls. In Demon's Souls you had to make a build around using spells to be any good with them. Sure firestorm was 1hko storm if multiple hits landed on a boss, but Dark Bead is the Dark Souls = to that in OPness, and you can make a broke back Oolacle caster with low investment and still do ridiculous damage with dark bead, where Firestorm in Demon's Souls took 100 mana per cast, which was a VERY expensive spell, most PVP casters only had 200, or enough for 2 firestorms, and that spell took 3 slots. They give you 6 casts for 1 slot for dark bead!
#77DuneManPosted 1/4/2013 6:43:48 PM
Demon's Souls is easier if you leverage regenerating MP or just endless waves of cheap arrows. You also find a Ring of Fog variant in the very first stage, which basically toggles 'Easy Mode' for the rest of the game when worn.

It's also easier to mess around with for experienced players, due to Thomas duping(the precursor to BB glitching). You could spit out a new character build in about a day. Or you could just sit down and do a fresh run in a day or two, like a Demon's Souls Roguelike. With Dark Souls taking longer, it just doesn't seem worth the effort to create a bunch of new characters.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#78twotonezPosted 1/4/2013 6:55:46 PM
Depends on what game you played first. I played dark souls first and Demon's was much easier.
#79SeirikaPosted 1/4/2013 7:21:47 PM
I would say Demon's Souls has more crutch to stay alive.

- Dark Silver Shield (I didn't use it against Maneaters, but have seen people use it and it makes Maneaters a joke, since it blocks 100% physical 100% Magic 70% Fire. No such medium shield in Dark Souls.)

- Second Chance
- Warding
- Grasses

I would say Dark Souls has stupidly more powerful Magic (really, they should have made using Magic consume stamina), if you get several copies of fast/powerful spells, don Dusk's crown + rings, it makes a lot of Bosses cakewalk. I mean, with Crystal Homing Soul Mass, a player doesn't even have to AIM it.

//
---
"A few? What'd ya mean 'a few' ?
What maybe a few to y'all was everything to those who died!" - Cait Sith