Holy Crap @ Manus

#1KoolAssAssassinPosted 1/4/2013 10:10:35 PM
I know I'm late for a lot of you guys, but I'm just getting around to battling Manus.

Geez, is it just me or is this guy on a completely different level from all the other bosses in this game.

He's strong as hell, his attacks are deceptively fast, and has ridiculous melee range and tracking.

It took me 10 tries just to get him halfway down. But once I did, I had my flow in place and was destroying him. So here I am thinking I've got him this time because like every other boss in this game he's just going to continue doing the same things he's been doing. Nope, he remembers he has a catalyst in his hand and drops dark bombs from the sky and floods the area with black orbs killing me.

Is guy really this hard or am I slipping?
#2lKaddlPosted 1/4/2013 10:12:11 PM
idk man i beat him on my first try.

artorias took me roughly 3-4 hours though.
---
Kadd
http://www.last.fm/user/Kaddillak
#3AhrimanPosted 1/4/2013 10:12:12 PM
He's not easy but using the Silver Pendant for his magic attacks helps.
---
Chikubi ga itai. Hontou ni- Mattaku kayuku itai. Bakuzen to aamondo to niru...
#4WafalafaugusPosted 1/4/2013 10:14:02 PM
I have trouble fighting him without a shield. Have you yet to beat him? I'd be willing to help. I've a character at 60, 100, and 180 to use.
---
Use Transvestite curses or the Ghost blades to damage them.~Ahriman
#5CharonDynamiPosted 1/4/2013 10:17:57 PM
I'm not going to lie he almost killed me when we fought but Sif seemed to intervene and take his attention only if I was near death. So, get Sif and that should help some. Also, I was pretty conservative when facing him like all bosses for the first time and I really think staying close to him would have been better.
---
The boundlessness of my own stupidity is the greatest lesson I've ever learned.
#6MrSmi7hPosted 1/4/2013 10:18:15 PM
Very hard. The good thing is that once you really get his moves, which can take a lot of practice, is a fun and fair boss, unlike O&S IE.

Except the sanctuary guardian, every boss in the expansion is pretty fair, I like it.
#7KoolAssAssassin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 11:19:41 PM(edited)
Ahriman posted...
He's not easy but using the Silver Pendant for his magic attacks helps.

The Silver Pendant does something? I thought it was useless. I don't even think I have it this go round.

Wafalafaugus posted...
I have trouble fighting him without a shield. Have you yet to beat him? I'd be willing to help. I've a character at 60, 100, and 180 to use.

I've never been one of shields, though I use them more in this game than Demon's Souls because the roll seems screwed up in some ways. Thanks for the help offer, but I'm actually going through this run solo. Want to say I beat all the bosses at least once with no help.

CharonDynami posted...
I'm not going to lie he almost killed me when we fought but Sif seemed to intervene and take his attention only if I was near death. So, get Sif and that should help some. Also, I was pretty conservative when facing him like all bosses for the first time and I really think staying close to him would have been better.

Sif helps you? How do you make that happen? He sure hasn't intervened to stop me from getting my ass kicked.

MrSmi7h posted...
Very hard. The good thing is that once you really get his moves, which can take a lot of practice, is a fun and fair boss, unlike O&S IE.

Except the sanctuary guardian, every boss in the expansion is pretty fair, I like it.

Yeah, the new bosses are cool, but they all seem to be able to OTG you Tekken style. That can get a bit annoying.
#8CharonDynamiPosted 1/4/2013 11:26:48 PM
The Silver Pendant does something? I thought it was useless. I don't even think I have it this go round.

It reduces damage from the dark spells from the DLC. You find it through a secret passage in the Township with either the Skull Lantern or Sunlight Maggot (for some reason the maggot never works for me so go with the lantern). More Info: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Silver+Pendant

I've never been one of shields, though I use them more in this game than Demon's Souls because the roll seems screwed up in some ways. Thanks for the help offer, but I'm actually going through this run solo. Want to say I beat all the bosses at least once with no help.

I always use a shield and it always saves my life try it out. I recommend the Silver Knight for that fight.

Sif helps you? How do you make that happen? He sure hasn't intervened to stop me from getting my ass kicked.

Yep you gotta save him in the Abyss. There is a part with a shortcut back to the forest area and to the right (if facing the elevator) should have messages for an illusionary wall. If you hit it and go back there Sif is waiting and can be saved. There are a few of those big human soul things back there but he isn't hard to save. Then when you are fighting Manus you can find a summon sign in the middle of the floor. All you have to do is interact with it. There is no summon confirmation like normal
---
The boundlessness of my own stupidity is the greatest lesson I've ever learned.
#9KoolAssAssassin(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 11:29:07 PM
Damn, thanks for the info. I haven't even looked at a guide for the new stuff so it appears I missed a lot.
#10The moonlight knightPosted 1/5/2013 12:47:30 AM
Manus is very tough. I find the best thing is to find the times when it's safe to heal/buff your weapon. The biggest free time he gives you, is when he does that super-hit-combo of attacks. If you can pull away from that early, you have a nice amount of time to recover or power up. He doesn't give you too many other chances to take a breather reliably.

If you aren't using the silver pendent to repel his dark sorceries, you'll really be in for a rough ride.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)