The reason why dark souls needs to die

#31CaliberChamp(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 12:26:12 PM
xxSkyShadowxx posted...
CaliberChamp posted...
I hate this game because it doesn't hold my hand and baby me throughout the entire experience like pretty much every other game released this generation. It also makes me think and seek out the lore rather than shoving it down my throat. Horrible!

Heh 28 years old? I've been playing games longer than you have been alive then. if you have been playing games as long as you claim, than you'll remember that older action games were a lot like this one (although some of them were much more harsh than this one is when you die because there were no checkpoints).

The whole point of the Souls series is to kind of emulate how those old games were back then, amidst the glut of EZ-Mode games that are simply copying other EZ-Mode games out there today. The game is about the gameplay mostly, which is why the story is presented in a minimalistic fashion, it's also supposed to make you feel isolated and it does a fair job at that with the storytelling style it incorporates. There is quite a bit of story content in the game....some pretty disturbing stuff even...you simply have to dig in and uncover it, as it's not openly presented as such. Kinda like archeology versus just picking up a history book and reading it.

Many people like the old school feel of it, and the fact that the devs are trying to create something unique and different amidst the flavor of the month clones we are being subjetced to with this console generation. It's not everyone's cup of tea though and that's fine.

Now it's not without it's problems, much like every other game released ever. But to say that it "needs to die" simply because you don't like the game is both silly and immature.

By the way, ANet lied quite a bit more about their game than From did about DS....you should remove GW2 from your sig and start shouting out that it needs to die too, otherwise you are simply a hypocrite.

Ok, so you play games for the sake of them being "different" than the norm. They can be bad games but because they are "different" than the current games out there, it gets a pass for pretty much all its negatives just because its different. That thought I don't agree with. I'm all for innovation, like what Guild Wars 2 did and succeeded in doing in my opinion. However, when you try to make current games play more like classics, it just makes them seem like shovel ware honestly. Not that they are all bad. Certain games like FTL and Bit Trip Runner brings me back to the days of the NES back when I played Megaman, Jackal, Mc Kids, Star Tropics, Marios Bros., Batman, Little Nemo and other games that were nothing like Dark Souls. Only similarities are the minimalistic styles of the games back then and the lack of being able to save your games whenever you wanted to.
I'm saying dark souls needs to die because it has started encouraging other games designers to become minimalistic in their design, as well as other games like The War Z, and the Call of Duties but to a slightly lesser extent. It's not like Dark Souls was created by a team of 5 people or less, it was done by From Software, a developer, but the way they made the game for a studio just seems lazy in design, its not like they are an indie group.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z
#32AlbinoCrocodilePosted 1/8/2013 12:27:57 PM
I missed you so much.
---
Crocodile- See you later, Alligator!
Alligator- In a while, Crocodile!
#33Cvdf3Posted 1/8/2013 12:30:25 PM(edited)
The sad man-child is still posting? Despite your original post being blatantly wrong; I like how the only people you respond to are people who offer opinions you can blindly deny as if yours are facts.
seriously who's alt? I wanna know! :P
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#34moodyjm2Posted 1/8/2013 12:30:44 PM
I'm sorry, I can't take anyone seriously that bashes Dark Souls for it's shortcomings then praises Witcher 2.

I'm guessing you think the omission of strafe and coherent quest system in W2 was a strategic move huh?
---
GT: DragonSoundxSG
#35CaliberChamp(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 12:43:43 PM(edited)
Cvdf3 posted...
The sad man-child is still posting? Despite your original post being blatantly wrong; I like how the only people you respond to are people who offer opinions you can blindly deny as if yours are facts.
seriously who's alt? I wanna know! :P

So you think I have no life just because I post here maybe once or twice a month? lol. Today is my day off work. And I have no alts because I don't have time to be on Gfaqs all day.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
#36maximumbarmagePosted 1/8/2013 12:42:23 PM
He has the nerve to lecture us about Dark Souls having bad, "broken" gameplay and then you notice in his sig he recommends both Witcher 2 AND Brutal Legend?

Does not compute!
---
"Maybe it would be quicker to list the Wii U multiplatform titles that AREN'T vastly inferior ports..." - SimeonSays
#37CaliberChamp(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 12:45:33 PM
Just to clarify...
I'm saying dark souls needs to die because it has started encouraging other games designers to become minimalistic in their design, as well as other games like The War Z, and the Call of Duties but to a slightly lesser extent.
---
#38shadowsofdawnPosted 1/8/2013 12:48:13 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
no way to pause your game

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#39Cvdf3Posted 1/8/2013 12:50:15 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
Just to clarify...
I'm saying dark souls needs to die because it has started encouraging other games designers to become minimalistic in their design, as well as other games like The War Z, and the Call of Duties but to a slightly lesser extent.

Weird how you lack things like sources. Actually tell me how you even think WarZ is even slightly based off Souls. Have you ever heard of DayZ?
Let's also make no mention of the other devs who named Demon's and Dark Souls as an influence...
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#40Cvdf3Posted 1/8/2013 1:02:23 PM
Hey, you like the Witcher 2 right?

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/04/cd-projekt-the-witcher-2-takes-inspiration-from-demons-souls/

;)
---