The reason why dark souls needs to die

#71CaliberChamp(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 1:16:24 PM
People have lost the concept of what a really good game is. It's becoming more apparent as the years goes by as more developers try to make their games as minimalistic as possible just like Dark Souls and still get praise for it. Why do you think critics and more people are praising minamalistic games now? IGN and Gamespot giving Journey the title of Game of the Year 2012, and other gaming websites like Kotaku and Gametrailers (Though I really don't count them their opinion is absolute ****) and some other game websites have given X com Enemy Unknown Game of the year, and there are even some that gave Walking Dead the game, Game of the Year 2012. Yet I would call this games out for being minamlistic. Journey is easily beaten in 2 hours. Walking Dead is a point and click adventure thats more like watching a movie than playing an actual game. X-Com Enemy Unknown has gamebreaking bugs and has that minamalistic feel to its gameplay like if I'm playing a game from 10 years ago. This all correlates into lazy design that gets praised. This would never have happened a few years ago.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z
#72crondizzlePosted 1/8/2013 1:17:30 PM
Cvdf3 posted...

Dude...
I meant if at 28 I find stalking a message board for game a vehemently hate and make troll topics twice a month a valuable use of my time, that, would be pathetic. Really it's pathetic at any age but an adult who should have a life; it's just sad at that point.

Dude...
There's no reason to get mad just because someone doesn't like a game you like. That's called being a fanboy. Everyone has opinions, people will disagree with you, if that makes you mad and you search for insults right away, that means you're insecure.

He doesn't "have no life" because he takes 30 seconds to make a message board post, bro.
#73Cvdf3Posted 1/8/2013 1:18:58 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
People have lost the concept of what a really good game is. It's becoming more apparent as the years goes by as more developers try to make their games as minimalistic as possible just like Dark Souls and still get praise for it. Why do you think critics and more people are praising minamalistic games now? IGN and Gamespot giving Journey the title of Game of the Year 2012, and other gaming websites like Kotaku and Gametrailers (Though I really don't count them their opinion is absolute ****) and some other game websites have given X com Enemy Unknown Game of the year, and there are even some that gave Walking Dead the game, Game of the Year 2012. Yet I would call this games out for being minamlistic. Journey is easily beaten in 2 hours. Walking Dead is a point and click adventure thats more like watching a movie than playing an actual game. X-Com Enemy Unknown has gamebreaking bugs and has that minamalistic feel to its gameplay like if I'm playing a game from 10 years ago. This all correlates into lazy design that gets praised. This would never have happened a few years ago.

You are still just making things up. There is no evidence of a minimalistic trend in gaming. And the quality of games didn't just start magically declining after Demon's Souls. Especially since it was praised for being a rare example that quality games can still be made...
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#74Cvdf3Posted 1/8/2013 1:19:49 PM
crondizzle posted...
Cvdf3 posted...

Dude...
I meant if at 28 I find stalking a message board for game a vehemently hate and make troll topics twice a month a valuable use of my time, that, would be pathetic. Really it's pathetic at any age but an adult who should have a life; it's just sad at that point.

Dude...
There's no reason to get mad just because someone doesn't like a game you like. That's called being a fanboy. Everyone has opinions, people will disagree with you, if that makes you mad and you search for insults right away, that means you're insecure.

He doesn't "have no life" because he takes 30 seconds to make a message board post, bro.

He posts here all the time...
Hence the word stalking
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#75ChaoticKnucklesPosted 1/8/2013 1:22:36 PM
CaliberChamp posted...

It seems like what you're saying is that games that are trying something different than what's being offered by most other games out there are horrible and need to not exist. It's fine if you don't care for them but why should that mean that I shouldn't get to enjoy them either? There are plenty of games that aren't "minimalistic" out there for you to enjoy, why does Dark Souls need to "die" in order for you to be happy?
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#76blubagaPosted 1/8/2013 1:33:24 PM
Cvdf3 posted...
quanity =/= interesting...

This statement is relative. I agree with you in the terms to which you're using it (i.e. video game content, Dark Souls in this instance.) But I personally find DD's much more interesting than an A cup. ^_^
---
Onimusha HD trilogy, make it happen Capcom.
#77Jack_LBPosted 1/8/2013 1:36:02 PM
the best reason why dark souls must end in my opinion is

1 Namco should try harder to make a better Soul calibur
2 Namco should stop this b******* game and try harder to make a better Soul calibur
3 Namco should stop this b******* game and try harder to make a Soul calibur that is at least complete, instead the S*** they made in version 5
#78cgwhite85Posted 1/8/2013 1:39:30 PM
I suspect this is a troll post, but I guess ill bite.
PvP is fine. If "back stabbing abuse" is your example of broken then you are simply confirmed for not understanding how to counter. Learn to roll bs. Learn how to recognize if you are being BS fished. Learn how to counter stab. Learn how to play unlocked. Space properly. Pvp in this game is not the most balanced pvp ever, but it is pretty good especially for a game with such a huge and fantastic pve experience.

The game is pretty hard. Not contra hard or anything but fairly challenging. Its definitely not trial an error, you can adapt during a boss fight and win your first go. The dlc bosses are some of my favorite bosses in any game ever. Artorias' fight is particularly skill based. No need for trial and error, you can avoid traps your first try if you pay attention. For example every trap in sens fortress has a tell. Burn marks on the floor? Thats where the giant throws firepots. Bloodstain on an elevator? Dont stand on it too long? Floor plate? Dont stop moving, and look for the arrow slots. You can exploit in a few places to win easily, that does not mean those encounters cannot be beaten in other ways.
CaliberChamp posted...

The beginning cinematic is also a lie. You think you would be meeting up and maybe fighting some of those characters in game but you don't.

This is what really made me think you were a troll as it is just wrong. You meet and face everyone in the opening cutscene save the furtive pygmy. The witch of izalith, her sisters, nito, seath, even gwyn are all present. So you are either trolling or got a pathetically short way into the game before quitting.

CaliberChamp posted...

Also the very minimalistic approach this game has makes it out to be a game that can be considered as an indie game.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, why its bad, or why you wrote it at all.

Character creation is pretty good. Lots of choices for starting items and equipment as well as stats, several models/body types which is unusual in an rpg, decent number of hair options. If you mean its hard to make a pretty character then yes, its hard to be pretty without spending alot of time in creation.

Whats wrong with the menus? They are easy to understand at first look, quick to get into and out of, and display all necessary info. They are good enough to switch items during pvp combat.

The story is delivered in an unusual way. There are some great youtube videos about DS lore if you are having difficulty understanding the story.

There is plenty of ambient sound, but yes only bosses have music.

Magic and archery are both useful. Int is pretty popular in pvp right now because of dark magic, and some folks are doing well with it. Miracles have always been good and useful. Pyromancy is universally loved with plenty of must have spells, plus its available to any stat setup. Archery is useful as well. In pvp its a great baiting tactic, plus you may get a free poison out of it. Pve its deadly.

No navigation? Did not get the lord vessel I see.

CaliberChamp posted...
not enough options for online and offline modes.

Wat? This game has a ton of options? Pretty unique multiplayer and if you don't want to do it you can go hollow or offline.

No you cant pause, surely you understand why, just like in most multiplayer games.

Limited pvp... arena, several types of invasion, lots of different builds floating around.

CaliberChamp posted...
clunky combat.

Confirmed for did not bother to learn to play. The combat simply is not clunky. Controls are tight and responsive. Combat is strategic and has depth. Positioning and strategy matter.

#79cgwhite85Posted 1/8/2013 1:39:55 PM
Horrid frame rates- Yes on consoles the framerate sucks, particularly in 2 areas. If you cant handle it, try the PC version, solid 60 fps with dsfix mod there. I really like the pc version for this fix alone. You are correct here though the console framerates suck, this is unfortunately the case for most console games.

CaliberChamp posted...
any other game that would have these kind of problems would get hated on, so why not dark souls?

I answered this for the most part. You are simply incorrect in your evaluation of the game. Your complaints are nitpicky where they are correct and completely erroneous everywhere else. DS gets nearly universal praise as did DeS. The criticisms you have simply are not very accurate.

And before you fire back with the whole "its just my opinion" phrase internet warriors love to hide behind, I realize everything you wrote was your opinion. All opinions are not equal. Some are based around false premises, as many of your statements were. Some are nitpicky, some are simply unintelligible. Its fine that you dont like the game, some people dont. What really makes no sense is that the occasional person who hates the game and comes to the boards for a game that has been out over a year. Then they proceed to try to convince long time fans that they dont actually like the game and that it was bad all along.

Given your post I assume you did not make it very far into the game. Maybe you should give it another chance and go a bit further in?

If you just don't like the game maybe its time to move on.
#80mnbmnbmnb107Posted 1/8/2013 1:40:29 PM
I agree with the tc in a sense, about the false difficulty and that it's not something that special, but I keep coming back to it because it's tons of fun and very exiting especially when you add humanity and all it's charms to the mix. Although to me it's pretty mediocre in all other aspects it's one of the best games I've played.
---
MGO for LIFE