The reason why dark souls needs to die

#81crazyj10Posted 1/8/2013 1:41:10 PM
So what I'm getting from this topic is that TC finds this game minimalistic due to it's apparent lack of story and lack of music (Or what others would call "It's atmosphere") and the fact that you can beat the game in a matter of hours if you know what you're doing and make a real effort to such an end (Y'know, like most games out there). Sound logic.

Man, I'm loving this topic, mostly because I'm still trying to decide whether I think TC is genuine or a troll.
---
"Don't worry. I'm here. Someone told me I'm the only one who can save the world."
-Purple Heart
#82cgwhite85Posted 1/8/2013 1:42:24 PM
Jack_LB posted...
the best reason why dark souls must end in my opinion is

1 Namco should try harder to make a better Soul calibur
2 Namco should stop this b******* game and try harder to make a better Soul calibur
3 Namco should stop this b******* game and try harder to make a Soul calibur that is at least complete, instead the S*** they made in version 5

1 Namco is the publisher of DS not the developer
2 Namco does not make dark souls
3 Namco only publishes dark souls FROM is the developer.

BONUS4 soul calibur is going to continue to suck.
#83OE_ExorcetPosted 1/8/2013 1:42:26 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
People have lost the concept of what a really good game is. It's becoming more apparent as the years goes by as more developers try to make their games as minimalistic as possible just like Dark Souls and still get praise for it. Why do you think critics and more people are praising minamalistic games now? IGN and Gamespot giving Journey the title of Game of the Year 2012, and other gaming websites like Kotaku and Gametrailers (Though I really don't count them their opinion is absolute ****) and some other game websites have given X com Enemy Unknown Game of the year, and there are even some that gave Walking Dead the game, Game of the Year 2012. Yet I would call this games out for being minamlistic. Journey is easily beaten in 2 hours. Walking Dead is a point and click adventure thats more like watching a movie than playing an actual game. X-Com Enemy Unknown has gamebreaking bugs and has that minamalistic feel to its gameplay like if I'm playing a game from 10 years ago. This all correlates into lazy design that gets praised. This would never have happened a few years ago.

Minimalistic isn't a bad thing, not with games like CoD. The real problem with games is that they don't focus on gameplay. Instead, tons of useless stuff is added such as unlocks, trophies, and rankings. The games are built with an expiration date, meant to be played until the all the content is found and then discarded.

The only exceptions to this seem to be hardcore PC sims which have infinite longevity and no gimmicks. Console games are always going to be second place until they learn to do things the same way.

On the topic of Dark Souls, I think it's a good game, despite giving in to some bad console trends. The combat system is great, and backstabs are one of the great parts of it. The only problem when it comes to combat is lag really. And since it's in your sig, I must bring it up, Skyrim is the ultimate example of lacking gameplay. I'd basically replace "Dark Souls" with "Skyrim" in your rant and then be able to agree with you. Dark Souls has variety, competitive gameplay, and strategy. Most of the good stuff you only get online, but then again the PvP portion of the game is linked to the story mode, or whatever you want to call it. Skyrim is basically tap the attack button and then occasionally pause to recharge health. I honestly find it a joke that anyone would play that game for the combat. I like the idea of a huge living world, but unless they do something like add Dark Souls gameplay mechanics to that world, it isn't of much use.

And then one last thing, most of this is opinion based anyway. You don't like 2 hour long games. I certainly don't like 2 hour long games. Other people might. It's hard to say that 2 hour long games are bad, full stop, when they sell. And believe me, I'm tempted to say things like that all the time (I even started this post with an attack on CoD).
---
Omega Echelon at armoredcoreuniverse.net
AC4 player community PSN: Exorcet XBL: OE Exorcet
#84leet_x1337Posted 1/8/2013 2:13:17 PM
Relevant if not already posted. If it is already posted, then I second it:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/15/154504/2330412-1348325462202.png
---
Now Playing: Alpha Protocol
Updated: 07/01/13
#85wokiboy67Posted 1/8/2013 2:18:19 PM
I'm no troll. Look at how much karma I have. And I'm 28. I been playing games longer than most people here.

Look at how much karma you have? let me get this straight,people who's writing bulls**t can't have high karma? and you certainly don't even have that. Claiming to be 28,come on,please tell me you're eight or something like that. And how do you know you've been playing games longer than most people here? oh,i forgot,maybe you're psychic. You're a king size ass troll,no denying of that.
---
Never forgive,never forget.
#86LeonNoel619Posted 1/8/2013 2:23:26 PM
CaliberChamp posted...
Because everything that was told to you about dark souls is a lie..

So everything you put was a lie then?
---
3DS-3695-1473-6164
PS3- Darkos619
#87RafedxPosted 1/8/2013 2:24:02 PM
wokiboy67 posted...
I'm no troll. Look at how much karma I have. And I'm 28. I been playing games longer than most people here.

Look at how much karma you have? let me get this straight,people who's writing bulls**t can't have high karma? and you certainly don't even have that. Claiming to be 28,come on,please tell me you're eight or something like that. And how do you know you've been playing games longer than most people here? oh,i forgot,maybe you're psychic. You're a king size ass troll,no denying of that.

Hes a random person on the internet, so obviously he has been gaming longer then most if not everyone, his opinion is the only one that matters so if you disagree with him then you are wrong.

We should all trust the "fact" this random TC said and move on with our lives because no matter your opinion you are wrong, unless of course you agree with his, then you are only copying his idea.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#88blubagaPosted 1/8/2013 2:25:06 PM
LeonNoel619 posted...
CaliberChamp posted...
Because everything that was told to you about dark souls is a lie..

So everything you put was a lie then?

No no no...Dark Souls is 'code' for Cake........
---
Onimusha HD trilogy, make it happen Capcom.
#89codman4Posted 1/8/2013 2:25:14 PM
leet_x1337 posted...
Relevant if not already posted. If it is already posted, then I second it:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/15/154504/2330412-1348325462202.png

*applauds*
#90VasQwibQwibPosted 1/8/2013 2:43:13 PM(edited)
CaliberChamp posted...
It's not that the game is hard, its the gameplay that is bad, its trial an error, patience, and exploits.

No, you really just suck at it and going into it with the wrong mindset. The game isn't trial and error, it's about patience, being cautious and forming a strategy before heading in. I always payed attention to my surroundings, planned my build beforehand and I rarely died.

Dark Souls is just not a difficult game, it's a game that punishes you severely for making mistakes. So don't make mistakes. It's not as hard as it sounds.

CaliberChamp posted...
IGN and Gamespot giving Journey the title of Game of the Year 2012, and other gaming websites like Kotaku and Gametrailers (Though I really don't count them their opinion is absolute ****) . Journey is easily beaten in 2 hours. This all correlates into lazy design that gets praised. o.

Haha, wow.
You don't know what you're talking about. The only reason Journey works so well is because it's incredibly effectively designed. You're simplifying games that hold more depth in their programming than you think and the fact that you think that games need to be long in order to be good really makes your opinion worthless. Games need to be just as long as they need to be and just as complex gameplay wise as they need to be in order to reach their goal. Anything less and it is underdeveloped, anything more and it's unnecessary padding. Portal wouldn't have been so popular if it was a 15 hour game and had extremely varied gameplay. If journey had lasted over 2.5 hours, it would have been to long.

It's not about length, it's not about having tons of things to do (quantity of mechanics =/= complexity), it's about creating an effective game. A game that does what it needs to do in the exact amount of time it needs to do it. Nothing more, nothing less. And doing this is A LOT more difficult than creating a 60-hour game with tons of unnecessary content.

The walking dead belongs to the old-school adventure genre, which consists of pointing and clicking. The gameplay works within its genre and is there to add to the story, which is very well written. It does have its fair share of flaws, but it's still a better developed game than games such as Mass Effect 3, which gets tons of awards as well.

A minimalistic game that works is much harder than you think. Anyone can make a minimalistic game, but only those with heart and talent that put effort into it can make minimalistic games that are worth playing. If you think games such as Journey, Limbo and Portal are just taking stuff out and releasing it to the public who praise them on their minimalism, you're severely ignorant on how its mechanics are set up and how they function together.