My thoughts on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls

#1Takeda123Posted 1/9/2013 2:34:45 PM
So I recently bought Demon Souls and decided to give it a go.

I played un-patched and blind.

Having now played through both games multiple times I think that I'm ready to state my opinion of Demon Souls.

To me Demon Souls felt like a 'Prototype' of Dark Souls.

It mirrors Dark Souls in many ways from NPCs, enemies, and dungeons.

The cowardly knight at the Nexus = Crest Fallen Knight

The random red phantom girl with the huge butcher knife in Valley of Defilement = Maneater Mildred

Allant = Gwyn

Yurt = Lautrec

Valley of Defilement is so similar to Upper and Lower Blightown.

Tower of Latria (freaky freakin' place, dood) is similar to Sen's Fortress

...and many more that I can't think up right now.

I really did enjoy the game because it felt like I was playing an early demo version of Dark Souls in a way.

I being the Dark Souls veteran that I am still have alot of trouble with Demon Souls.

Random thoughts below:

- The stats are sorta kooky, especially weapon stats.

- No poise

- No friggin idea how to make boss weapons

- Very low amount of souls that are given in the game

- Human and souls form were...interesting and I didn't have any real problems with them.

- Crystal Lizards, crystal lizard everywhere...

- Weapon enchantments are confusing beyond belief. Ex. Fatal spear, Sharp Spear, Cresent spear, Mercury Spear, Sticky bow. (lolwut?)

- I still have no idea how world tendency works.

- I found the tutorial very amusing after you kill Grey Demon.

- The whole Red phantom thing felt sorta stupid. Some are interesting Npcs (Maneater Mildred prototype girl) while others are just stronger versions of monsters.

I'm being honest here and I'm not trying to run the game down but it felt kinda bland and more of a PVE game.

The whole Old King Doran thing felt really chessy. ("Well done, brave knight take the sword from the stone!")

The way the game provided the right weapons for the right fight made me feel like this game was abit too convenient in my eyes. (Demonbrant - King Allant, Storm Sword - Stormking)

Overall I enjoyed it and found it entertaining but Dark Souls definitely improved greatly upon it.

tl;dr Demon Souls is like an early prototype-ish verison of Dark Souls.
---
To this day I still picture that player dressed in full onion gear running down the stairs shouting "HELP ME SEIGMEYER!" - VettiSforza
#2zyrax2301Posted 1/9/2013 2:37:31 PM
To me Demon Souls felt like a 'Prototype' of Dark Souls.

Something about the way your brain works pisses me off, Takeda.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3CaliberChumpPosted 1/9/2013 2:37:41 PM
Take Flamelurker's soul to the blacksmith in 2-1. Then you can make boss weapons and upgrade unique weapons.
---
Recomended Games: Dark Souls II, Skyrimz, Battletoads
Terribad Games: Demon Spuls, Dork Spuls, TES: Skyrim, Tetris
#4Takeda123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 2:38:16 PM
Also, The Maiden in Black is incredibly cute.

Her accent is cute too.

Honestly, at the end of the game when you're on the beach below the Nexus together I was waiting for her to say something along the lines of...

"Thou hast slain all Demons in this land, wilt thou slay my virginity next?"
---
To this day I still picture that player dressed in full onion gear running down the stairs shouting "HELP ME SEIGMEYER!" - VettiSforza
#5caelitus1Posted 1/9/2013 2:38:58 PM
i really want to play demon's souls. i wish there was a pc version...
#6Takeda123(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 2:39:15 PM
CaliberChump posted...
Take Flamelurker's soul to the blacksmith in 2-1. Then you can make boss weapons and upgrade unique weapons.

I had all boss souls at one time and went to him with upgraded weapons and I never got the option to make boss weapons.
---
#7MactationPosted 1/9/2013 2:39:33 PM
Takeda123 posted...
Honestly, at the end of the game when you're on the beach below the Nexus

I was beyond sad we couldn't PvP there.
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/30nk97c.jpg
#8zyrax2301Posted 1/9/2013 2:40:07 PM
Takeda123 posted...
"Thou hast slain all Demons in this land, wilt thou slay my virginity next?"

For f***'s sake.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#9CaliberChumpPosted 1/9/2013 2:41:52 PM
Takeda123 posted...
CaliberChump posted...

I had all boss souls at one time and went to him with upgraded weapons and I never got the option to make boss weapons.

You have to talk to him till he has no more dialogue and exit the menu and then again and he will mention it and ask for it.
---
Recomended Games: Dark Souls II, Skyrimz, Battletoads
Terribad Games: Demon Spuls, Dork Spuls, TES: Skyrim, Tetris
#10Bolt_ActionPosted 1/9/2013 2:42:20 PM
I have to say I agree, I beat Demon's Souls when it came out and then put it down immediately afterwards...so I don't have much of a memory of it. I just recently re-bought it on the store and after playing it for a while - it's definitely different from Dark Souls, yet feels exactly like a prototype of it.

I'm so glad Dark Souls doesn't have idiotic things like equip/item weight and half-health while being undead. Not to mention the whole "you must be undead to get summoned" thing. Then again Demon's Souls has Stockpile Thomas (I like his inventory screen much better than Dark Souls), dedicated servers (little to no lag ever), and some of the areas of the game are better than Dark Souls IMO.

Dark Souls is definitely better overall - but Demon's Souls has some very interesting and unique lore and worlds. Now if only they can combine the good from both games for Dark Souls II...
---
PSN = BodomsChild
http://redsoldiersyndicate.com - looking for a clan? Join RSS!