Dragonslayer Arrows vs. Gough's Great Arrows

#1TheMegaSecretPosted 1/9/2013 6:33:34 PM
Hello GameFAQs. Recently I've started Dark Souls for the first time, and so far I've been enjoying it quite a bit. After I picked up the Dragonslayer Greatbow, I've become a fan of using that along with the Hawk Ring to take out annoying enemies from an absurd distance away. Earlier today I finally got to the place in the DLC where I can purchase Gough's Great Arrows, so I spent a bunch of souls on a giant stack of those because they're clearly better than the Dragonslayer Arrows (105 damage vs. 100), right? Well, no. On a whim I decided to compare them to the Dragonslayer Arrows, and they apparently do less damage most of the time. Here's some info from a couple quick tests I did (plus screenshots):

Against some Capra Demon at a mediumish range:
Dragonslayer: 244 (http://i.imgur.com/1KVXB.jpg)
Gough's: 198 (http://i.imgur.com/zqwQq.jpg)
This guy got knocked back a bit but I also moved up a bit so both were from the same distance.

Against this Taurus Demon from a pretty far distance:
Dragonslayer: 165 (http://i.imgur.com/qXU5l.jpg)
Gough's: 85 (http://i.imgur.com/rZT6C.jpg)

Those are the only ones I took screenshots of, but it seems that from a close distance Gough's Arrows do more damage. Against one of those stationary centipede things Gough's did 260 damage vs. 250 from the Dragonslayer Arrow, so seemingly Gough's Great Arrows are similar to Large Arrows, higher damage up front but with a significantly larger damage drop off at a distance when compared to the "standard" Dragonslayer Arrows. Since using a greatbow at a close distance is a pretty silly idea, it's probably safe to say that Gough's Arrows are kinda crap.

Not sure if this is common knowledge among most other players, but I've searched both wikis and a couple forums and have found no information about this, so hopefully this post can prevent another poor newbie from blowing a half million souls.

Also, I'm playing on the PC version, so this might just be a PC specific glitch, but as far as I know all versions of the game are the same now so probably not.
#2The moonlight knightPosted 1/10/2013 1:00:14 AM
That's pretty good to know. I had wondered if Gough's Arrows were straight up superior or not but never got around to trying for myself.

I wonder: is the same true of Gough's Greatbow vs. Dragonslayer Greatbow?

Also, there's a better testing subject, though you may have not found them yet. It's something who cannot die, and is stationary, so you could always be sure to be the same distance. You could use them to see how much closer you'd need to be, for Gough's Great Arrows to come out ahead, for example.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#3ISayNyaPosted 1/10/2013 11:06:35 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4ISayNyaPosted 1/10/2013 11:25:41 AM
Tested both arrows at the Archers in Anor Londo, Dragonslayer's Arrows really have a longer range - they deal twice the damage at these distances and can damage when the gough's arrows already outrange and can only cause knockback. Still Gough arrows deal more damage at mid and relatively close ranges (yet difference is negligible) and are more easily obtained.
#5LivesPosted 1/10/2013 11:44:23 AM
ISayNya posted...
Tested both arrows at the Archers in Anor Londo, Dragonslayer's Arrows really have a longer range - they deal twice the damage at these distances and can damage when the gough's arrows already outrange and can only cause knockback. Still Gough arrows deal more damage at mid and relatively close ranges (yet difference is negligible) and are more easily obtained.

How are Gough Arrows more easily obtained? They cost more than Dragonslayer arrows (Gough - 650 souls, Dragonslayer - 500 souls), and you don't have access to them before you are significantly far into the DLC. Dragonslayer arrows also drop from the silver knight archers in Anor Londo (1-3 at a time) as well.
Do you homework!
#6BombayNugzPosted 1/10/2013 11:44:42 AM
Have you tried usings goughs great arrows with his bow? Maybe dragonslayer arrows work best with the dragonslayer and goughs arrows work best with his bow.
---
Go Big Red 10-3 bruh
PSN: BOMBAYNUGZ420; Pawn: Faith
#7LivesPosted 1/10/2013 12:41:21 PM
BombayNugz posted...
Have you tried usings goughs great arrows with his bow? Maybe dragonslayer arrows work best with the dragonslayer and goughs arrows work best with his bow.

This is what I'm trying later tonight.. I have a character I made that is perfectly suited for this, and already have both leveled up. I should be able to post some answers tonight or tomorrow...but I probably won't have screen shots :(
#8TropicalwoodPosted 1/10/2013 1:00:38 PM(edited)
Gough's Great Arrows are better at close range it seems.
I was testing it on the same enemy at the same exact spot, how I did this was I went to the sunlight alter bonfire then went to the back of the bonfire and pick a shot, when I did that I recorded the data and rested at the bonfire then test again with another arrow, I made sure to test twice to make sure my data was consistent.

This is the data:
Group 1 the close enemy with Dragon slayer bow, Gough 338, Dragon 329.
Group 1 the close enemy with Gough's bow, Dragon 357, Gough 367.

Group 2 the far away enemy with Dragon slayer bow, Gough's 271, Dragon 329.
Group 2 the far away enemy with Gough's Bow, Gough's 318, Dragon 357.

As I was doing this though i found out that his arrow is better at long range because the arrow's path is more accurate to the cross hair.

These were done with the hawk ring.
---
Real men watch My Little Pony
Pokemon Black FC: 2107-8038-5393 Black 2 FC 1378-5072-6126
#9ISayNyaPosted 1/10/2013 12:52:23 PM
Lives posted...
ISayNya posted...

How are Gough Arrows more easily obtained? They cost more than Dragonslayer arrows (Gough - 650 souls, Dragonslayer - 500 souls), and you don't have access to them before you are significantly far into the DLC. Dragonslayer arrows also drop from the silver knight archers in Anor Londo (1-3 at a time) as well.
Do you homework!

The path to Gough is shorter and has no enemies at all. Souls are no concern in NG+ and higher, or if you are decent at PvP.
#10TheMegaSecret(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 1:46:17 PM
BombayNugz posted...

I was actually using Gough's Greatbow in my test. I tried the Dragonslayer Greatbow as well and came up with the same results, just with a bit less damage overall.