here is my story, it is cool

#31ScarletStriderPosted 1/29/2013 10:55:37 AM
Idk what you mean complusively participating in threads, because I'm a new user and have barely posted here, only to actually answer some threads and be part of the community, as well as stumbling across a couple of your posts and not agreeing with them.

I won't bother replying to anything else, I don't want to ruin this guy's thread anymore.
---
PSN: Tensa_Strider
XBL/GFWL: TStr1derT
#32Dirty_Harold(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 1:19:25 AM
I gotta say, while I don't mind how potentially open the world can be if you persevere enough, it's a bit disappointing when you unknowingly screw up a bunch of side quests because of it. I screwed onion man's quest cause I killed the angry worms in lost Izalith before meeting him in the swamp, ending it once I met him back in Izalith. :(

Also, I reckon the game would benefit from a journal of sorts. I hadn't played in a while and completely forgot where I was meant to be going/what I was meant to be doing. I knew I had to kill the fourth big fellow for the soul bucket (I knew I'd killed Nito, Seath, and the Kings in that order), but I couldn't remember anything about the last one and no one I spoke to specified.

Yes, a journal, even if you had to make your own notes and they weren't automatic, and perhaps purchasable simple maps wouldn't go astray.

Anyway, I've killed the four big fellows, but I read a snippet about a secret great hollow place found somewhere in the swamp, so I'm off to check that out before doing anything else!
#33arcnetPosted 1/31/2013 3:26:43 AM
ScarletStrider posted...
Idk what you mean complusively participating in threads, because I'm a new user and have barely posted here, only to actually answer some threads and be part of the community, as well as stumbling across a couple of your posts and not agreeing with them.

I won't bother replying to anything else, I don't want to ruin this guy's thread anymore.

The only way to ruin a thread is to not participate assuming you keep things on topic. This is a public venue.

I don't normally address people personally, but you singled me out, that said I was still not really addressing you personally. You said I complain too much. I assumed you were basing that on more than just the contents of this thread. Ie. you are compulsively reading threads here, whether its a recent phenomenon or not.

I gotta say, while I don't mind how potentially open the world can be if you persevere enough, it's a bit disappointing when you unknowingly screw up a bunch of side quests because of it. I screwed onion man's quest cause I killed the angry worms in lost Izalith before meeting him in the swamp, ending it once I met him back in Izalith. :(

Don't worry. I did this last night. There was only one Lovecraft monster left with about 100 HP. He jumped into the pit and killed it himself. And I did not see him get hit. Yet he still died. I think the canon ending for the NPCs are the tragic endings. In that players are given a way to interfere with those endings is just covering all of the bases and giving NG+ players more things to do and From' a chance to artificially inflate the apparent vastness of the world (the world seems so small compared to other games yet the playtime is at least double that of any game I've ever played through. I mean From' could easily print 120hrs on the back of the box if it didn't scare people away.)

Also, I reckon the game would benefit from a journal of sorts. I hadn't played in a while and completely forgot where I was meant to be going/what I was meant to be doing. I knew I had to kill the fourth big fellow for the soul bucket (I knew I'd killed Nito, Seath, and the Kings in that order), but I couldn't remember anything about the last one and no one I spoke to specified.

Journals are usually nice, but in this game the NPCs don't really say anything useful, and the English dialogue is always always about 30x longer than what would normally be budgeted to the information content. The cheeseball writing/delivery isn't helping either. Video games. Go figure.

If someone does compile a journal you could probably sell it to the US government's "enhanced interrogation" program.
---
About Me: I'm pushing 30. I could be your dad.
Quote: It's a fecal matter. Stay out of it.
#34Cvdf3Posted 1/31/2013 3:48:02 AM
^
You are supposed to jump in and help Siegmeyer. He then rewards you and his story will end elsewhere tragically.
But yeah, the game doesn't really tell you much in the way of any of that.
But I don't think extending the replay value in such a way is necessarily bad. The reward isn't game breaking (or even anything you can't find elsewhere) so people who don't really care are not missing much. However it is a nice little reward for people who invest more time into the game. There isn't much better in video games than when you find something new (even small things) in a favorite game where you thought you had seen it all.

Also, NPCs often do have useful information, however cryptically conveyed it is. It is pretty f***ing cryptic at times.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#35AbramelinPosted 1/31/2013 4:04:39 AM
**This post contains some boss/location/quest spoilers**

Just as a reference for what happens if you do random exploring, I rang the two bells in reverse order from usual on my NewGame+ and went to Gargoyles after Quelaag but before Tauros Demon (I'd gone through Valley of the Drakes). In doing this, Lautrec was not imprisoned when I got to his cell...in fact, the door was shut and impossible to even examine. After I rang the second (gargoyle) bell, I went back to Firelink and Lautrec wasn't there, but the Firekeeper was dead.

So yeah, weird things happen if you end up exploring things in the 'wrong' order.
---
Opinions are immunity to being told you're wrong.
"I AM SO ANGRY MY PERIODS ARE CAPITALIZED> " - DurpDurpDurp
#36Cvdf3Posted 1/31/2013 4:07:46 AM
Abramelin posted...
**This post contains some boss/location/quest spoilers**

Just as a reference for what happens if you do random exploring, I rang the two bells in reverse order from usual on my NewGame+ and went to Gargoyles after Quelaag but before Tauros Demon (I'd gone through Valley of the Drakes). In doing this, Lautrec was not imprisoned when I got to his cell...in fact, the door was shut and impossible to even examine. After I rang the second (gargoyle) bell, I went back to Firelink and Lautrec wasn't there, but the Firekeeper was dead.

So yeah, weird things happen if you end up exploring things in the 'wrong' order.

Yup, there are a few things that trigger Lautrec to kill the Firekeeper. Killing Queelag is one of them unfortunately.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#37arcnetPosted 1/31/2013 11:16:26 AM(edited)
Cvdf3 posted...
^
You are supposed to jump in and help Siegmeyer. He then rewards you and his story will end elsewhere tragically.

So you think possibly he died because I prepped the monsters so that he could finish them off by himself. And possibly the event was foiled by my not being in the pit with him when the last one died? I mean if he can't finish off one monster with 100HP you'd think the wiki description of the event would be very firm about protecting him.

I thought that was the last event with him. After that it sounds like you can just find him in Ash Lake and collect a couple slabs. I would've liked the slabs but I can make due. Dying would seem more appropriate if only the thread between he and his daughter was not left unresolved.

But yeah, the game doesn't really tell you much in the way of any of that.
But I don't think extending the replay value in such a way is necessarily bad. The reward isn't game breaking (or even anything you can't find elsewhere) so people who don't really care are not missing much. However it is a nice little reward for people who invest more time into the game. There isn't much better in video games than when you find something new (even small things) in a favorite game where you thought you had seen it all.

No it's not bad at all. Better than nothing anyway, since there isn't really anything in the way of character development. King's Field 2 is a kind of game that you can easily replay every few years. Most players have the experience of always finding new little things. I don't think a complete guide even materialized before a long time. It's not the kind of game you would want to spoil with a guide.

Unfortunately I will never be able to play Dark Souls against, it's just too time consuming. I just about have regrets about playing it the one time.

Also, NPCs often do have useful information, however cryptically conveyed it is. It is pretty f***ing cryptic at times.

My impression is all of the cues come out of the item descriptions. The only useful information I can remember is the first NPC you see explains you are supposed to ring the bells. Which is just about the only direction you need. The blacksmith and depths shop guy explain the catacombs and ruins, but I thought that was too heavy handed myself.

Yup, there are a few things that trigger Lautrec to kill the Firekeeper. Killing Queelag is one of them unfortunately.

Possibly all of that happened on its own. Could you not still revive the Firekeeper?
---
Remember, this is Gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64668593