Why do you like/dislike Dark Souls?

#1SolidKnightPosted 1/17/2013 10:03:19 PM
Dark Souls is a great RPG. Why? Because it's not just a story where you mash X until the credits roll but an actual game you can play. Why do you like Dark Souls?
#2TILlegion777Posted 1/17/2013 10:10:16 PM
T'rolling, the people, the lore, the challenge, the aesthetics, the combat, the variety, so on. I'm hard pressed to think of very many aspects of this game I'm not in love with.
---
A unique signature. Here, so when you see it again you'll think "Oh, that idiot with the stupid signature!"
Fat-roll Kirk is the only true build.
#3TheIronGubGubPosted 1/17/2013 10:13:55 PM
^What he said
---
PSN: KingseekerFrampt
#4Rudra_StormPosted 1/17/2013 10:17:16 PM
Absolute love the sense of wonder and discovery that permeate the entire game.

Absolutely hate The Bed of Chaos for being a stain on what I think is a perfect game in terms of gameplay.
---
WARNING The big enemy is approaching at full throttle
According to the data, it is identified as Sin Masamune. NO REFUGE
#5arcnetPosted 1/17/2013 10:59:50 PM(edited)
I like not being able to walk sideways into a room when you know a monster is waiting beside the door.

I like getting whopped in the back when walking backwards and the lock on lets go whether due to distance or the target dying.

I like getting whopped on the head when I told the damn game to do a lunge but instead it does a heavy attack that doesn't have enough range and long recovery time.

I like stunning myself on a monster's shield when I tell the game to do a kick but instead it decides to spank the shield.

I like when I go to jump but instead I roll off a cliff. Etc. These could go on forever.

I like how I have to run everywhere like a spazz because if I try to walk like a human being it looks even more ridiculous.

I like not being able to pause, save, load, quit, etc, even there is no good reason that you should not be able to. The only reason is item trading, which breaks the game anyway. I am assuming players can trade items using the drop function otherwise these human rights abuses are purely sadomasochistic. It's a shame because the multi player is very compatible with single player play.

I like how the environments are all miniature and artifice. It reminds me of Disney Land.

It's still one of the few games worth spending time with on the PS3. So kudos.

And I love From' Software no matter to what depths it sinks.

EDITED: The controls are totally holding back the game. The way taking on 2 opponents at once is way harder than it should be is all on the controls. There needs to be an advanced control scheme more or less.
---
About Me: I'm pushing 30. I could be your dad.
Quote: It's a fecal matter. Stay out of it.
#6SolidKnight(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 11:31:44 PM
arcnet posted...
I like not being able to pause, save, load, quit, etc, even there is no good reason that you should not be able to.

You can't pause because it's an online game.

The game saves every time you quit and automatically in the background so there's no point for manual saving.

Quit exists.

No point to loading other than shaving a few seconds off a character swap.
#7Snipa_Wulf12Posted 1/17/2013 11:39:29 PM
arcnet posted...
I like not being able to walk sideways into a room when you know a monster is waiting beside the door.

I like getting whopped in the back when walking backwards and the lock on lets go whether due to distance or the target dying.

I like getting whopped on the head when I told the damn game to do a lunge but instead it does a heavy attack that doesn't have enough range and long recovery time.

I like stunning myself on a monster's shield when I tell the game to do a kick but instead it decides to spank the shield.

I like when I go to jump but instead I roll off a cliff. Etc. These could go on forever.

I like how I have to run everywhere like a spazz because if I try to walk like a human being it looks even more ridiculous.

I like not being able to pause, save, load, quit, etc, even there is no good reason that you should not be able to. The only reason is item trading, which breaks the game anyway. I am assuming players can trade items using the drop function otherwise these human rights abuses are purely sadomasochistic. It's a shame because the multi player is very compatible with single player play.

I like how the environments are all miniature and artifice. It reminds me of Disney Land.

It's still one of the few games worth spending time with on the PS3. So kudos.

And I love From' Software no matter to what depths it sinks.

EDITED: The controls are totally holding back the game. The way taking on 2 opponents at once is way harder than it should be is all on the controls. There needs to be an advanced control scheme more or less.

Sounds like you need excuses for why you suck.
---
PSN:Snipa_Wulf
FOOL! You understand nothing.
#8Cvdf3Posted 1/18/2013 12:52:21 AM
Too many reasons. A good amount of flaws but they are all overshadowed by the positives. I'll leave my gushing at that.
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#9MashYouGoodPosted 1/18/2013 1:25:06 AM
LIKE:
- nice atmosphere
- open ended gameplay
- unforgiving
- one of the few RPG series' I enjoy
- bucks the trend of FPS and other casualware garbage

DISLIKE:
- less engaging than DeS
- deaths more perfunctory than punishing
- loose / flawed combat system
- needless back tracking
- shallow RPG mechanics
- too many retreads from DeS
#10seyyjJPosted 1/18/2013 3:04:16 AM
Cvdf3 posted...
Too many reasons. A good amount of flaws but they are all overshadowed by the positives. I'll leave my gushing at that.

This.